Gabriel Obertan signs for Anzhi

Optimistic Nut

http://www.nufc.co.uk/articles/20120103/pardew-hopeful-of-obertan-role_2281670_2565304

Newcastle United manager Alan Pardew is confident winger Gabriel Obertan can play some part in Wednesday night's Premier League fixture against Manchester United.

The summer signing has a slight toe infection - a problem which forced him to miss a couple of games earlier on in the season - and there was talk that he could be ruled out once again.

Peter Lovenkrands (calf) and Danny Guthrie (groin) are both still short-term absentees, but Pardew is happy with the make-up of his squad and is hopeful of Obertan being declared fully fit.

"He (Obertan) has got a very, very sore toe which is slightly infected," explained the boss on Tuesday afternoon.

"We will have to see whether he plays a part tomorrow. I think he will do."

Doesn't sound quite as certain as the Chronicle was earlier.

What's he doing with his toes that they keep getting infected?  He is French so maybe he's been crushing a dodgy batch of grapes or something.

Must be cutting them too short, that's dangerous.

What's he doing with his toes that they keep getting infected?  He is French so maybe he's been crushing a dodgy batch of grapes or something.

Must be cutting them too short, that's dangerous.

It's being French that is the problem. He should just stop being a pussy. :coolsmiley:

Guest NobbyOhNobby

Glad he's recovered, if we get pegged back in our half we need some pace as an outlet.

No white text?

Nah, genuinely. I think he will be useful in this sort of game.

Jesus f***ing wept :facepalm:

With it being unlikely that HBA will be played in wide midfield I would rather have him fit to choose from otherwise our 3 options for the two wide positions would be Jonas, Ferguson and Sammy.

Are you, or have you recently been, on loads of massive cowies?

Glad he's recovered, if we get pegged back in our half we need some pace as an outlet.

No white text?

With it being unlikely that HBA will be played in wide midfield I would rather have him fit to choose from otherwise our 3 options for the two wide positions would be Jonas, Ferguson and Sammy.

:lol:

Decent enough piece from ToonTalk on the last page.

I won't write him off completely just yet but it does look as if he's still not ready for PL football. I appreciate the fact from the management's point of view that he won't learn about the trade if he doesn't start. But the fact is that he's simply not doing it on the pitch yet and as a consequence should not be an automatic starter.

The lad clearly needs a lot of coaching and I mean a lot! He simply needs to learn how to be an effective winger and how to use his attributes especially his pace effectively. One on one coaching and finding ways to improve his game/approach (be it through DVDs of other players or whatever) could be the best route to go imo. He needs to know what he's doing wrong and how to correct himself. However, so far it looks as if he's not learning anything.

Confidence is also an issue for the lad and that is something you can't really teach. IMO, the best approach, for now, is to use him as an impact player coming from the bench. This will ultimately allow him to run at tiring players which hopefully will result in something positive (an assist/goal). This would do his confidence a lot of good. Great cameo appearances will probably help him feel more confident about life in the PL (and himself) and it should be at this stage when he could think about being an important first team player.

I've nowt against the bloke like (apart from that he's been poo so far), I just wanted something to force Pardew's hand with regards to selection. Obvious Obertan will start on the right tomorrow as per every other game.

Fair comment :thup:

Evra is heavily critized by Man U fans of late in general though.

Eh? ??? he was being praised by them for leading by example when they won 6 out of 7 games 1-0 a few weeks ago. Has stepped up to the plate as captain, apparently.

Eh? ??? he was being praised by them for leading by example when they won 6 out of 7 games 1-0 a few weeks ago. Has stepped up to the plate as captain, apparently.

Hm. Fair enough. Guess he's picked up then.

http://community.manutd.com/forums/p/202060/1813424.aspx

http://community.manutd.com/forums/p/199143/1784813.aspx

No white text?

Are you suggesting those 3 options aren't satisfactory?

I truly don't care what the fans say when they slug of a certain player. They have done it with Parker who was a decent player. Once they choose a player he will be responsible  for all bad team performance. I know most here fall in that bandwagon which is crazy.

loads of mancs on redcafe think he's on a pretty steep decline and a shadow of what he was. from an outside perspective i think he's looked pretty good, especially going forward, in recent matches. However most Man Utd fans on these forums are from places like Kenya and Korea and don't know what they're talking about. Nee offence oldtype.

Guest NobbyOhNobby

No white text?

Are you suggesting those 3 options aren't satisfactory?

I don't see them as being 3 clear options

Guest neesy111

loads of mancs on redcafe think he's on a pretty steep decline and a shadow of what he was. from an outside perspective i think he's looked pretty good, especially going forward, in recent matches. However most Man Utd fans on these forums are from places like Kenya and Korea and don't know what they're talking about. Nee offence oldtype.

He was shocking v QPR a few weeks back defensively.  All over the place.

Have you seen their thread for the Facebook page? Genuinely one of the funniest things I've read.