Gabriel Obertan signs for Anzhi

Optimistic Nut

I see my "blessing in disguise" caused some fury. In the long run I think we'll benefit from it, Marveaux or Ben Arfa will get their chance, I think most of us agree that their potential is something else.

Of course it's a pity this has come when he had a brilliant game at Stoke. And I second the fact that he'll be far more effective away from home. His decision-making when we control possession is horrifying.

:lol: f***ing Perch as an example. Who else was there on the bench who could 'shore up' the midfield in a safety first swap for Yocabs? How that is in any way comparable to putting Loven on over Marv and Barfa is beyond me.

we're not the manager are we?  how many times in how many years have our retarded managers in past done things we don't agree with? 

im just giving  you real possibilties on what may happen.  i personally would prefer marveax there.

Ah sweet, if we're just going off 'managers make weird decisions sometimes', I'm shooting for Harper to get recalled and he's going to replace Barfa at CB at half time.

im dreading it but i wont be entirely surprised if lovens do start there.  last season pardew has used him there a few times.

Guest Roger Kint

Blessing in disguise.

Yeah i am always relieved when a player gets injured coming out of a good performance. One less player in a small squad with 4 tough games in the next month? Get the fuck in!!!!!!

We're short in certain areas but right wing isn't one of them, and its only a very short term injury.  Calling it a blessing in disguise does seem harsh, but it might not be that far from the truth IMO.  Its not like we're going to be without Obertan for ages, just long enough to give two very talented players a little chance in the side.

A player like Obertan would be of more use imo against City than either. Plus the obvious benefits of having a good player to come off the bench rather than a raw kid like Sammy say otherwise.

A blow but nothing we can't handle especially with the international break coming up. Be interesting to see who starts on Saturday, I'm normally dead set against it but I'd pick Marveux and switch Jonas to thwart Baines.

I see my "blessing in disguise" caused some fury. In the long run I think we'll benefit from it, Marveaux or Ben Arfa will get their chance, I think most of us agree that their potential is something else.

Of course it's a pity this has come when he had a brilliant game at Stoke. And I second the fact that he'll be far more effective away from home. His decision-making when we control possession is horrifying.

obertan  did pretty well vs stoke but there was at times i was pulling my hair out.  with his pace, he could have closed down on a few players in certain situations which he just them past.  very faustrating.

Guest Roger Kint

it has nothing to do with logic

does perch warrants a place on the bench?

i know the possibility of lovens starting may hurt you.  but truth hurts.

Did you suffer a severe concussion while logging in or are you really saying this rubbish? Comparing the Perch/Loven situation was daft enough but to bring in some notion of actual hurt to me? WTF are you on seriously?

you mad  :facepalm:

After your posts on this subject you have the nerve to use a facepalm at someone using rational thinking? Dear God, yes i am mad, the whole world is mad outside of your special little corner apparently ;D

im only here to debate and to talk about knowledgeable footballing discussions ,  you're the only one thats getting emotional about this.  calm down.  :huff:

I am so calm i was actually LOLing at everything you have said, worrying at what you see as emotional. Knowlegable you claim? Ok ;D

:lol: f***ing Perch as an example. Who else was there on the bench who could 'shore up' the midfield in a safety first swap for Yocabs? How that is in any way comparable to putting Loven on over Marv and Barfa is beyond me.

Wasn't an example as such. More tongue in cheek. But when Perch comes on for Cabaye - a lot is possible.

There was nothing wrong with bringing Perch on for Cabaye given the situation.  If he'd started Perch ahead of Cabaye you'd have a point.

A blow but nothing we can't handle especially with the international break coming up. Be interesting to see who starts on Saturday, I'm normally dead set against it but I'd pick Marveux and switch Jonas to thwart Baines.

no, you do that and then you will see how limited raylor is as a left back.  i think its vital jonas is there to cover raylor's ass.

Blessing in disguise.

Yeah i am always relieved when a player gets injured coming out of a good performance. One less player in a small squad with 4 tough games in the next month? Get the fuck in!!!!!!

We're short in certain areas but right wing isn't one of them, and its only a very short term injury.  Calling it a blessing in disguise does seem harsh, but it might not be that far from the truth IMO.  Its not like we're going to be without Obertan for ages, just long enough to give two very talented players a little chance in the side.

A player like Obertan would be of more use imo against City than either. Plus the obvious benefits of having a good player to come off the bench rather than a raw kid like Sammy say otherwise.

Why would Obertan be of more use against Man City?  Also we do still have a good player to come off the bench who can play in that position, since both Marveaux and Ben Arfa can play there.

Obertan getting injured for one month isn't a good thing obviously, but its not a particularly bad thing either.

Guest Roger Kint

Blessing in disguise.

Why would Obertan be of more use against Man City?  Also we do still have a good player to come off the bench who can play in that position, since both Marveaux and Ben Arfa can play there.

HBA can yes, will he? According to the bloke that counts its no. Obertan's pace on the counter against a team like City would have been more use, have you seen them this season, Pardew is likely to go 4-5-1 so quick counter-attacking will be our biggest threat! It will be a match more of containment rather than attacking flair.

Not enough vowels, blud.

Blessing in disguise.

Ben Arfa on form could do a lot more damage against City than Obertan ever could like, he's hardly lacking in the pace department either which is Obertans main outlet. There's all ways the worry that Ben Arfa isn't quite on the same wave length yet, but it's not exactly like Obertan has been the most consistant of performers this season.

They can always alternate, would mean Drenthe would have to do his fair share of defensive work and he'd probably start wide right, think that's where he's been playing for them.  Jonas never stops running and him and Obertan seem to drift during the game anyway, at least now with him and Marv they aren't both right footed.

Blessing in disguise.

HBA can yes, will he? According to the bloke that counts its no. Obertan's pace on the counter against a team like City would have been more use, have you seen them this season, Pardew is likely to go 4-5-1 so quick counter-attacking will be our biggest threat! It will be a match more of containment rather than attacking flair.

Marveaux's not exactly slow and seems to have a far better Football brain to go with it.  Also I know Pardew doesn't see Ben Arfa as a winger but that doesn't mean he wouldn't bring him on in that position if necessary.  Like I said, I'm not celebrating because Obertan's injured, but I'm not gutted either, it has both negatives and positives to it.

Sorry to say this but get in!

Big chance for barfa or marveaux to get into the side.

Downer for the tan who was possibly picking up a head of steam form and confidence wise, albeit frustratingly slowly. Break might be good for him though and get him motivated again.

possibly back in time for the man city game according to pardew. shame for the lad but like many on here, there are others i'd put  in before him all being fit. rather he'd been suspended for a game or the sort of injury that keeps you out one week than anything that could weaken our squad as i still like the idea of being able to use him from the bench.

now, decisions, decisions for saturday. bring marveaux in as a direct replacement, bring marveaux in and switch wings with jonas, bring ben arfa in behind the front 2, bring ben arfa in and swith with jonas or even bring santon in to counter baines/drenthe ?

It's an absolute shame for Obertan. He had a great game against Stoke and looked as if he might be turning a corner, this injury is the last thing he needed.

I imagine Marveaux will play on Saturday so now it's his time to step up to the plate and shine :thup: I'm confident he will but we shall see.

(Squad depth [on the wings anyway]:aww:)

Get in! Think the "OMGZ!! Obertan was legendary at Stoke!!" w*** fest is a bit over the top. He wasn't that good. Average+ game with a brilliant assist.

The real w*** fest can begin this Saturday. Marveauxlous.

Get in! Think the "OMGZ!! Obertan was legendary at Stoke!!" w*** fest is a bit over the top. He wasn't that good. Average+ game with a brilliant assist.

The real w*** fest can begin this Saturday. Marveauxlous.

Brilliant assist is miles over the top, it was a better header than it was assist, it was behind him.