Gabriel Obertan signs for Anzhi

Optimistic Nut

Pretty ironic if he ends up forcing Routledge out. Wonder which Championship club he'll wind up at in January this time. Blackburn? Forest?

Routledge was pretty decent at Swansea last season, wasn't he?

Having seen both of them at Newcastle I'm pretty sure I'd have Routledge over Obertan.

Yep. Obertan is a lot younger, that's all he's got over Routledge.

“Gabby Obertan, when he came on, looks in a lot better place than when he ended the season.

“Remember he started the season brilliantly, and he’s doing that again.

“He’s putting pressure on Jonas and Hatem.

“That’s what you want. In the wide areas, we look very strong.”

Good old Pardew instilling confidence in the shitter players. If he'd started last season brilliantly he would have kept his place, no?

“Gabby Obertan, when he came on, looks in a lot better place than when he ended the season.

“Remember he started the season brilliantly, and he’s doing that again.

“He’s putting pressure on Jonas and Hatem.

“That’s what you want. In the wide areas, we look very strong.”

Good old Pardew instilling confidence in the shitter players. If he'd started last season brilliantly he would have kept his place, no?

he means literally the opening 10 minutes of his season against Arsenal...i thought he looked like Messi in comparison to his later games...

Guest reefatoon

'Putting pressure on Hatem and Jonas' sounds like we'll be going 442

Just bigging Obertan up. Means nothing really.

Yeah true, the lad might end up with a big head . . . . snigger

• 2 weeks later...

I get the impression with him that he picks up the ball, he knows exactly what he wants to do and then a few seconds down the line doubts himself, stops and tries to think wtf to do next.

When you seem him take goals like he did v Blackburn away you just wonder what goes through his head. He took that goal with so much confidence, those are easy to fuck up, especially with all the thinking time he has.

Guest firetotheworks

I don't get how he didn't use the atmosphere to boost his confidence yesterday. Everyone was well behind the team and all he needed to do was sprint clear of a player and everyone would have been lifting his confidence.

Instead he seemed scared to make a mistake, kept the ball too long and naturally because of that, made mistakes. Until he gets out of that frame of mind he'll waste his pitch time and will make less and less appearances imo.

I don't get how he didn't use the atmosphere to boost his confidence yesterday. Everyone was well behind the team and all he needed to do was sprint clear of a player and everyone would have been lifting his confidence.

Instead he seemed scared to make a mistake, kept the ball too long and naturally because of that, made mistakes. Until he gets out of that frame of mind he'll waste his pitch time and will make less and less appearances imo.

From what others have said is that a surprise?

Hate the crowd getting on our own players back, most stupid/unproductive thing you can do imo.

Totally agree Jon.

The stick Ben Arfa used to get from people around me was amazing, then a few weeks after the Sunderland match every fucker was saying how they never doubted him and he's the best we've had since Beardlsey. :lol:

Totally agree Jon.

The stick Ben Arfa used to get from people around me was amazing, then a few weeks after the Sunderland match every fucker was saying how they never doubted him and he's the best we've had since Beardlsey. :lol:

Player struggling, looks lacking in confidence. What can we do? Booing him will definitely help I reckon :lol:

Off the ball he is lightening quick. But on the ball he really stuggles to show his speed, which is a shame because he isnt a bad dribbler at all. Just needs an ounce of Ben Arfa's confidence and it would do wonders for him.

Guest firetotheworks

Hate the crowd getting on our own players back, most stupid/unproductive thing you can do imo.

I'm talking about the very first time he got the ball. He had the opportunity to get everyone behind him when the atmosphere was so good.

I'm talking about the very first time he got the ball. He had the opportunity to get everyone behind him when the atmosphere was so good.

Aye. Someone as quick and tricky as him should have no problem getting the crowd on his side, especially as an impact sub in the last 10 mins.

But from experience he will know if he fucks up he is going to get shit, not encouragement to get it right next time.

Must be a lot of pressure when you are already trying to make a go with a stuttering career.

Guest firetotheworks

But from experience he will know if he f***s up he is going to get s***, not encouragement to get it right next time.

Must be a lot of pressure when you are already trying to make a go with a stuttering career.

True. He's just needs to get out of that frame of mind or it'll gone on and on in a catch 22.

But from experience he will know if he f***s up he is going to get s***, not encouragement to get it right next time.

True. He's just needs to get out of that frame of mind or it'll gone on and on in a catch 22.

:thup: some fans too :)