Gabriel Obertan signs for Anzhi

Optimistic Nut

I don't think he is ever going to sort himself out enough to the point where he can take the team that finished 5th last season forward. On that basis he isn't really good enough IMO. I will stick with him whilst he is here and hope he can a) prove me wrong or b) become a more effective player for us. I think his best effect for the team lies in coming on from the bench around 70-80 minutes. Possibly better to bring him on in games we are chasing as I think Shola is a better out ball if we are winning.

I would say however that he has started to use his raw pace more recently. If he can keep that part of his game simple he will get around 5 chances per match to put a ball in to a decent area. Only need one to come off and that's a good contribution. 

Thought he didn't look particularly up for it today either not so much in his offensive play just a couple of times when he wasn't pressing anywhere near enough.

His decision making pisses me off royally pretty much every time he takes to the field, but also his lack of bottle and the fact that he often misplaces short passes and his touch is so heavy makes me wonder how the fuck Man U ever decided to sign him, let alone us.

I'd love to see a stat from some choice games of number of times NUFC lose possession vs number of times Obertan is involved in breakdown of possession (either through a bad pass or a shit touch) as a ratio. Games such as the Arsenal and Spurs away games last season and the away leg at Atromitos this season I'd wager it would be well over two-thirds.

His decision making pisses me off royally pretty much every time he takes to the field, but also his lack of bottle and the fact that he often misplaces short passes and his touch is so heavy makes me wonder how the fuck Man U ever decided to sign him, let alone us.

I'd love to see a stat from some choice games of number of times NUFC lose possession vs number of times Obertan is involved in breakdown of possession (either through a bad pass or a shit touch) as a ratio. Games such as the Arsenal and Spurs away games last season and the away leg at Atromitos this season I'd wager it would be well over two-thirds.

I don't even remember us having the ball at all in that Spurs game tbf. We must have had it six times to kick off but I'm not convinced we touched it more than twelve times.

His decision making pisses me off royally pretty much every time he takes to the field, but also his lack of bottle and the fact that he often misplaces short passes and his touch is so heavy makes me wonder how the f*** Man U ever decided to sign him, let alone us.

I'd love to see a stat from some choice games of number of times NUFC lose possession vs number of times Obertan is involved in breakdown of possession (either through a bad pass or a s*** touch) as a ratio. Games such as the Arsenal and Spurs away games last season and the away leg at Atromitos this season I'd wager it would be well over two-thirds.

Arsenal (away) was the game that came to mind, when he was played in a withdrawn role behind Ba.

Fans pretty much gave up on him after 5 games. Been fighting a losing battle since. A pity, as the talent is there but there is no way he will build up any confidence at this club now as fans just jump on his back after any perceived mistake, even if the movement of the forwards is largely to blame for a significant amount of his crosses that don't find a player.

Fans pretty much gave up on him after 5 games. Been fighting a losing battle since. A pity, as the talent is there but there is no way he will build up any confidence at this club now as fans just jump on his back after any perceived mistake, even if the movement of the forwards is largely to blame for a significant amount of his crosses that don't find a player.

People who whatched him in Manchester United had given up on him then. He's just not good enough, and it's got nothing to do with the fans.

What a load of old toss. Fans gave up on Perch too and he's doing ok.

I suppose the fans make him pick the wrong ball every friggin time too?

I've tried to have patience with him but just not seeing any improvement.

Cause there isnt any. He seems like a decent lad, but his footballing intellegence is not good enough, and that will probably not change.

Also, the excuse with fans getting on his back, as someone else stated, look at Perch.

This guy can have the world at his feet if it weren't for his outrageously limited brain and decision making. Whatever he has in his locker in terms of pace, skill and technique is rendered moot by his shockingly woeful timing and decisions. I keep thinking this is something that can be coached into him with time, but whenever he looks like improving a tiny little bit, he goes and puts in a cameo like the one we saw yesterday.

Can't believe someone like Amalfitano who has shown desire and application every time he's played for us can't get 10 minutes ahead of Obertan in yesterday's scenario.

Not much hope for him now imo.