Gabriel Obertan signs for Anzhi

Optimistic Nut

:thup:

Needs to keep up these types of performances, still concerned without regular games he will struggle. We don't have the squad to do it but if we could get him a seasons loan where he starts every game it would do him the world of good.

There was a break when he had plenty of room to keep running into instead he slowed up and passed it horizontally. The more he learns to keep it simple, beat the full back for pace then get ball into box, that is all

Needs to stop shitty stepovers and learn to use the attributes he has got. He is fast as fuck and needs to just be direct at them and get a cross in, has a good first touch, but terrible when he slows ball down and seems to get muddled up quite quickly and loses the ball.

Thought he played well tonight though both forward and back, maybe more suited to European games (think its called shola syndrome)

I've said a couple of times i thought he would be better on the left, one swallow doesn't make a summer but i thought on the whole he looked better.

The think with him on the left is the FB has a genuine problem, if he shows him inside Gabs is on his stronger foot but he knows he'll probably be done for pace going down the outside. That indecision seems to give the FB a bad starting body position.

Lets face it, obertan will never get in ahead on ben arfa on the right (rightly so), but we have never had a settled player on the left that can get beyond defenders. Jonas' work rate is important for big games like man u this Sunday, which is probably why he will start, but obertan may be worth giving a chance against lesser teams in the league. Hope he builds on this display, still has a lot to prove of course...

He was still doing the shitty step overs when he should have been heading towards goal, I'm starting to wonder if he has a stamina issue which he tries to cover up.

I genuinely questioned at certain points during the game whether he has a tic. :lol: :lol:

He just started doing them when there was no one there at one point.

Anyway, good game Ober.

Pardew referred to the left side as Obertan's "wrong side", and says he was only played there because there was a feeling it offered a tactical advantage.

:anguish:

I thought he not only looked better on the left, bu more importantly he just looked more comfortable and assured.

Hope he is used there more often going forward, and not ont he right.

The assist to the  first goal was the key to Obertan having the better of his opposing full back. Instead of cutting inside onto his right he went by on the left side,the full back obviously expected him to do the opposite, and therefore every time after that, the defender didn't really know which way he was going to go. The fact that Obertan didn't really create an awful lot with this advantage is another point.