Gabriel Obertan signs for Anzhi

Optimistic Nut

Spent the last month complaining about the lack of spending so I feel dirty saying that £3m is a rip off. That is what Man Utd bought him for 2 years ago, we're giving them their money back? Beggars can't be choosers I guess.

Where inflation apparently makes Jordan Henderson worth £20m the bore hole probably cost £22m.

If we put a clause in to sell his forehead to medical science we are eventually quids in.

LOL.

Wouldn't be surprised if signing this forehead was a move to put the prices up in level 7

I'm generally disappointed with the summer but I'm not going to go into suicide mode until the team is doing s***. Proof in the pudding and all that.

I think Pardew really needs to earn his money in the next week. Transfer dealings, potential transfer dealings, boardroom antics and fan opinion aside, he needs to do one thing - unite the team for the start of their Premier League campaign in 1 week's time in front of 50,000+ of their own. If he can do that and get you something against Arsenal after what has been a seemingly very trying few days for one reason or another, then he deserves some credit.

Equally, for your sake, I hope fans don't turn on him completely if you don't do well in the first 2 games. It could get messy if you're on 0 points after the derby.

:thup: I agree, but only because I don't think we can get much better. He's got a tough job on his hands, especially since most of it is out of his hands.

I think the first team* is pretty decent btw, but the squad itself is woefully thin in terms of quality.

*                        Krul

Simpson      Tayls   Colo   Enrique

Marveaux   Cabaye  Tiote  Jonas

HBA

Ba

I agree. Beyond that, who do you have who could do a good job? Best, Williamson, perhaps Gosling, Obertan I guess if he comes. And I empathise because we have the same problem.

Will NO ever return from Suicide Watch? It's getting pretty depressing.

This signing is a good signing IMO. It's an upgrade on Routledge, nowt more. Gives us real depth in the position. The problem is with the lack of depth elsewhere, and what seems like pretty dire prioritization. This isn't Obertan's fault. Unfortunately we don't know what signings are coming (if any), it's not something any of us have a crystal ball for, so I shall hold off till Sept 1st, and will then inevitably release my rage on an unsuspecting wing mirror when we've got rid of Jose, replaced him with Ian Harte and signed no one else.

Can't believe literally 95% think he's shit :lol:

I sense a few are saying that because you had your hopes set on N'Zogbia, and Obertan doesn't appear to be as good as him.

He's another body in and for all anyone knows, he could flourish a bit more if he's given more of a chance than he was at Man Utd, which he surely would be. People are free to air their opinions about him as a player but you'd think you were buying an inanimate object if you look at some of the comments on here.

Come off it man Neil - it's the fact that we seemed to have money to spend this summer which we could have used to progress, and we've signed cheapies and non-entities.

Even Everton shelled out on a few fees after getting the Rooney money.

It's not what I was getting at, though.

My opinion is that negatives have been overblown and positives swept under the carpet. I can see that this will have been an incredibly frustrating summer. Would I be raging about where this Carroll money has gone? Yes, of course I would. Would I be pissed off about what's going on with Barton, Enrique, Nolan etc? Of course. Has it been a Summer From Hell? Well, I'm not fully qualified to say but from what I've seen, no. I really think people have swept the signings of Marveaux, Ba, Ben Arfa and Cabaye under the carpet somewhat. You have Gosling coming back who barely played last year (if at all?) and it looks like he's beefed the fuck up, so he could really develop this year.

Now you look like signing someone who yes, hasn't hit it off at Man Utd, but also hasn't been given that much of a chance. After a troublesome few days, news comes that you're signing someone who could bolster your midfield and offer some pace on the wing and who knows, with some faith placed in him, could start to really establish himself in this league. Instead, it's "he's shit". That is what I find bamboozling.

Before someone says this, no, I'm not sticking up for Ashley. I am however sticking up for some of the very good business you've done so far this summer which has escaped the limelight due to the Enrique/Barton etc shenanigans. Potentially disruptive? I would certainly imagine so. Fucking shit? I don't agree.

As a fellow outsider, I have to say, I agree entirely with this.

I really think there's a bit of drama queenery going on here.

Look at us, we've shifted 12 players and brought 12 in. Everton haven't paid money for a player since Vanilla Ice was number one.

Things look different from the outside looking in.

Although, having said that, Obertain's a bit shit.

IP, a bit of topic but what makes you think Pardew is useless? This season will be the real test of how good a manager he is for me.

I think he's shit mate, he's a second division manager that was out of work and we signed him on a 5 and a half year contract.  He talks absolute wank and these people that saw an improvement in our performances once Hughton left completely bemuse me.  I was at Stevenage, I was at Stoke.  I think he'll be hated as bad as Souness and Allardyce once he's gone.  As it stands I support the team, but this guy's shown me nothing so far and it doesn't help that he's an absolute wanker.

If he proves me wrong then fantastic.  Joey Barton proved me wrong last year and people don't prove me wrong that often.

I think the first team* is pretty decent btw, but the squad itself is woefully thin in terms of quality.

Simpson      Tayls  Colo  Enrique

Marveaux  Cabaye  Tiote  Jonas

HBA

Ba

At the moment:

Harper

Tavernier Williamson Kadar Ferguson

Barton Guthrie Abeid Gosling

Best Ameobi

THAT bad? I do fully expect us to sign at least 1 player before the season starts, 2 if Obertan is one of them.

I'm generally disappointed with the summer but I'm not going to go into suicide mode until the team is doing shit. Proof in the pudding and all that.

I think Pardew really needs to earn his money in the next week. Transfer dealings, potential transfer dealings, boardroom antics and fan opinion aside, he needs to do one thing - unite the team for the start of their Premier League campaign in 1 week's time in front of 50,000+ of their own. If he can do that and get you something against Arsenal after what has been a seemingly very trying few days for one reason or another, then he deserves some credit.

Equally, for your sake, I hope fans don't turn on him completely if you don't do well in the first 2 games. It could get messy if you're on 0 points after the derby.

It will be interesting to see how Pardew manages a team full of French players, most of whom have little experience of British football. I've quite grown to like Pards since my early hostile reaction. I just wonder if these guys are being brought in with his blessing because it won't be easy managing a foreign dressing room.

HBA

Ba

The only question I ask myself is "Will he keep Ryan Taylor out of the team?" - He is an improvement on Scream at the very least.

He may be inconsistent but adds pace and skills. We aren't going to sign Messi or Ronaldo so get over it. A choice between him and SWP I would choose obertan.

Can't believe literally 95% think he's shit :lol:

I sense a few are saying that because you had your hopes set on N'Zogbia, and Obertan doesn't appear to be as good as him.

He's another body in and for all anyone knows, he could flourish a bit more if he's given more of a chance than he was at Man Utd, which he surely would be. People are free to air their opinions about him as a player but you'd think you were buying an inanimate object if you look at some of the comments on here.

Come off it man Neil - it's the fact that we seemed to have money to spend this summer which we could have used to progress, and we've signed cheapies and non-entities.

Even Everton shelled out on a few fees after getting the Rooney money.

It's not what I was getting at, though.

My opinion is that negatives have been overblown and positives swept under the carpet. I can see that this will have been an incredibly frustrating summer. Would I be raging about where this Carroll money has gone? Yes, of course I would. Would I be pissed off about what's going on with Barton, Enrique, Nolan etc? Of course. Has it been a Summer From Hell? Well, I'm not fully qualified to say but from what I've seen, no. I really think people have swept the signings of Marveaux, Ba, Ben Arfa and Cabaye under the carpet somewhat. You have Gosling coming back who barely played last year (if at all?) and it looks like he's beefed the fuck up, so he could really develop this year.

Now you look like signing someone who yes, hasn't hit it off at Man Utd, but also hasn't been given that much of a chance. After a troublesome few days, news comes that you're signing someone who could bolster your midfield and offer some pace on the wing and who knows, with some faith placed in him, could start to really establish himself in this league. Instead, it's "he's shit". That is what I find bamboozling.

Before someone says this, no, I'm not sticking up for Ashley. I am however sticking up for some of the very good business you've done so far this summer which has escaped the limelight due to the Enrique/Barton etc shenanigans. Potentially disruptive? I would certainly imagine so. Fucking shit? I don't agree.

As a fellow outsider, I have to say, I agree entirely with this.

I really think there's a bit of drama queenery going on here.

Look at us, we've shifted 12 players and brought 12 in. Everton haven't paid money for a player since Vanilla Ice was number one.

Things look different from the outside looking in.

If Everton sold Rodwell for £25 mill I dare say there'd be a bit of foot stamping if you were promised by Kenworthy you'd spend it all and you didn't.

HBA

Ba

At the moment:

Harper

Best Ameobi

THAT bad? I do fully expect us to sign at least 1 player before the season starts, 2 if Obertan is one of them.

With the exception of the midfield, that's pretty f'n awful like :lol:

Need fullbacks. Need a striker.

HBA

Ba

At the moment:

Harper

Best Ameobi

Midfield is alright, the defence is terrible. We lose Best or Ba and they've got nowt behind them upfront.

IP, a bit of topic but what makes you think Pardew is useless? This season will be the real test of how good a manager he is for me.

I think he's s*** mate, he's a second division manager that was out of work and we signed him on a 5 and a half year contract.  He talks absolute w*** and these people that saw an improvement in our performances once Hughton left completely bemuse me.  I was at Stevenage, I was at Stoke.  I think he'll be hated as bad as Souness and Allardyce once he's gone.  As it stands I support the team, but this guy's shown me nothing so far and it doesn't help that he's an absolute w*****.

If he proves me wrong then fantastic.  Joey Barton proved me wrong last year and people don't prove me wrong that often.

Fair play, ever since he's been appointed I've disliked him but I have to admit he did a half decent job following the ridiculous decision to bin Hughton. My thoughts thus far is that he's an average manager and we'll never truly progress with him (and the current mob in charge) at the helm, however I think he's got enough ability to see us competing in mid-table without much danger of relegation. We'll see, like I say no excuses this season.

if it is like said above, Routledge out £2m? and Obertan In £3m. Then i think we have replaced Routledge's pace with potentially a much better player for about £1m. So in that sense its a good deal but we all know it probs isnt a like for like replacement and is maybe the last signing

We obviously won't lose all our first 11 but there are obvious places that cause concern. That said It would be interesting to see the second 11's of other clubs, we would be annoyed with the likes of Duff, Etherington, Murphy, Zamora, Delap, Beckford (?), most of the Sunderland 11, Davies etc... In our first team.

Those strong words (I mean now!) that Pardew had have clearly worked. Mike and Dekka clearly shitting themselves at the prospect of an angry AP.

A Hulk-type situation. :frantic:

http://www.sazbol.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/the-incredible-hulk.jpg

if it is like said above, Routledge out £2m? and Obertan In £3m. Then i think we have replaced Routledge's pace with potentially a much better player for about £1m. So in that sense its a good deal but we all know it probs isnt a like for like replacement and is maybe the last signing

It's an upgrade on Routledge if only for the fact that Pardew wouldn't play Routledge again and must rate Obertan somewhat. Same way Kuqi was an upgrade on Xisco as he'd actually be picked if needed. Useless having players around who the manager doesn't want to play.

HBA

Ba

At the moment:

Harper

Best Ameobi

Doesn't look too bad at all like. Defence would be a massive question mark though.

I'm generally disappointed with the summer but I'm not going to go into suicide mode until the team is doing shit. Proof in the pudding and all that.

It will be interesting to see how Pardew manages a team full of French players, most of whom have little experience of British football. I've quite grown to like Pards since my early hostile reaction. I just wonder if these guys are being brought in with his blessing because it won't be easy managing a foreign dressing room.

Knocking off their wives? :pards:

But in all seriousness Neil, this reaction is justified. We're not in the same position as Everton - we don't have a benefactor who sees us as a football club. He sees us as a loanee who needs a kick in the shins to cough up.