Gabriel Obertan signs for Anzhi

Optimistic Nut

Obertan should be ahead of Gouffran at the minute with Cabella in the side also imo. I'd be going with something like Tiote, Anita & Sissoko with those two playing around Cisse on current form.

This. It's not rocket science. It just continues to re-affirm that Pardew is a cowardly impostor who will play his favorites no matter what, putting his ego ahead of what's best for the team.

Guest firetotheworks

Why is it Obertan's fault that Cabella isn't getting game time?

It isn't. It's Pardew's fault, but then it's Obertan's fault that he's a shit coward. The two things are intrinsically linked.

It was clear that his pace caused problems for Leicester throughout the game, especially on the break. Pace is something we've been sorely missing for a long time. Unfortunately 9 times out of 10 he did something daft like leave the ball behind, mis-control it or not release it quickly enough.  Having said that, I'd be happy enough for him to stay in the first team if he keeps causing the opposition problems but I reckon he'll retreat back into his shell again once we play someone decent.

Of course the ideal scenario would be for Pardew to get the boot and us to recruit a manager who can get our team of international players to play a decent brand of football so we don't need to have the likes of Obertan anywhere near the first team. Pipe dream.....

It was clear that his pace caused problems for Leicester throughout the game, especially on the break. Pace is something we've been sorely missing for a long time. Unfortunately 9 times out of 10 he did something daft like leave the ball behind, mis-control it or not release it quickly enough.  Having said that, I'd be happy enough for him to stay in the first team if he keeps causing the opposition problems but I reckon he'll retreat back into his shell again once we play someone decent.

Of course the ideal scenario would be for Pardew to get the boot and us to recruit a manager who can get our team of international players to play a decent brand of football so we don't need to have the likes of Obertan anywhere near the first team. Pipe dream.....

exactly, he's one of the shittest players in the league at using his pace so the way he uses it is only ever likely to work against the shittest teams in the division and why he's never scored against anyone good for us and probably never will

Alan Pardew has warned Premier League defences that Gabriel Obertan can be “unplayable” this season - if he retains his current levels of confidence.

The Toon manager revealed that he has been privately working on the former Bordeaux and Man United winger’s morale.

And he feels that after seeing him grab the winner against Leicester City he can prove to be a thorn in the side of Tottenham Hotspur on Sunday (1.30pm kick off).

Pardew is delighted to see him bounce back but admitted that he was up for sale last season.

He said: “Let’s just say that events last year when we weren’t winning and he wasn’t in the team were such that we might have listened to offers for him.

“But when he came back in pre-season and we’d assembled a new squad, I knew he could be part of it – I told him that. From the moment we set foot into pre-season I have been trying to build his confidence.”

Pardew felt that Obertan was a key man in the season when the Magpies finished fifth.

He saw him as the outlet on the wing who could take some of the pressure away from his side.

Pardew reflected: “This is a player that played a big part in the season when we finished fifth.

“He’s not been the same since that year because he’s had injuries and he’s in and out. He’s a confidence player.

“When he has confidence he can be unplayable at times. He’s created the moments for us at times.”

He was s*** even in that unbeaten run at the start of 2011/12, I can remember everyone dying to see Marveaux given a game because Obertan had been so poor.

Not in Pardew's history!

If Obertan is such a good player, then why hasn't he really featured much in recent history.

I've been surprised by Obertan the last few games and he deserves his place for creating and scoring goals, which not many others are doing right now.  Pardew though once again comes out with some ludicrous comments that are detached from reality.  We played much better in the 5th place season once Obertan was dropped for Ben Arfa, simple as that.

I think a good manager would be in a very nice position at  Newcastle with our squad.  If you look at it the right way, there's quality, but very few big names.  There are barely any undropable players. You'd say Krul, Janmaat, Coloccini, Tiote and Cisse probably have to play.  Even then you could drop one of them for very bad form if it came to it.  There are at least six places up for grabs at all times.  A good manager would just play whoever is in the best form.  At present Obertan warrants one of those places, Gouffran doesn't.  I'd say if he was giving Cabella and Perez a regular 20 minutes from the bench then that would be okay for now.  They both look raw for the premier league and need time both on and off the pitch.  I'd definitely say one of them would play better than Gouffran right now.  I just dislike the way Pardew plays favourites.  We should be making people fight for their place and let them know they aren't sure of a spot.  That way maybe that extra few % of effort might be brought out of them.  If Obertan was picked for that reason I'd be fine with it, but we all know he's picked because he's one of Pardew's trusted lackies who still backs him.

Obertan should be ahead of Gouffran at the minute with Cabella in the side also imo. I'd be going with something like Tiote, Anita & Sissoko with those two playing around Cisse on current form.

What has Caballa done to warrant a start? Been poor so far.

Gouffran is shit as well so either could easily be left out.

Definitely this season's Gosling.

Gosling? Obertan achieved far more scoring the winning goal for NUFC last weekend than Gosling ever did in his time with the club. Obertan is shit but not Gosling shit!

Please.  How many trophies has Obertan won with us?  You're forgetting Gozza's performance in the 4-0 against Chelsea too.  Was something to behold that one.