Gabriel Obertan signs for Anzhi

Optimistic Nut

Cabella vs Gouffran. As if that's a choice. :lol:

depends on your outlook and what you want the player to do, if it's track back and cover the fullback and have virtually zero attacking impact then there's certainly a choice to be made between the two

That is a complete fallacy though. Gouffran runs around a lot but gives his full-back no actual protection whatsoever. I don't blame him because he's not a defender, but our left-back is as exposed now as he would be given zero protection from anyone else. Gouffran in this role has one trademark move and one trademark move only, to come short infield, give it back, turn and run forwards. He literally contributes nothing else apart from being the 11th player on the pitch. Pardew knows nothing about football so he simply cannot spot this it seems.

depends on your outlook and what you want the player to do, if it's track back and cover the fullback and have virtually zero attacking impact then there's certainly a choice to be made between the two

That is a complete fallacy though. Gouffran runs around a lot but gives his full-back no actual protection whatsoever. I don't blame him because he's not a defender, but our left-back is as exposed now as he would be given zero protection from anyone else. Gouffran in this role has one trademark move and one trademark move only, to come short infield, give it back, turn and run forwards. He literally contributes nothing else apart from being the 11th player on the pitch. Pardew knows nothing about football so he simply cannot spot this it seems.

i agree actually, saw him stood watching vs. leicester at the weekend...still if i was him i wouldn't give fuck either

Cabella has barely had a chance man. He's played a few games in the worst start we've had in years. Imagine having to adapt to the toughest league in the world surrounded by that shite and managed by Pardew. Cabella needs to play more games before his confidence is completely shot and he just becomes another Luque.

Cabella has barely had a chance man. He's played a few games in the worst start with had in years. Imagine having to adapt to the toughest league in the world surrounded by that s**** and managed by Pardew. Cabella needs to play more games before his confidence is completely shot and he just becomes another Luque.

Yup :thup:

I don't think he even does that anymore. He's so lazy it's unreal now, probably 'cos he knows he'll be picked week in, week out. Funny how Pardew lambasted HATAAAAAM for not tracking back yet Gouff, Cabella, Gabby and Aarons hardly track back, the first two being the biggest culprits.

Gouffran was getting a lot of praise on the radio v Leicester for the brilliant defensive shift he was putting in.

Completely unfounded bollocks. I wasn't at the match so I couldn't see his full off the ball movement, but what I did see on the box was definitely nothing like a brilliant defensive shift. He stood around with his mouth gaping watching Nugent waltz past him and put in a glorious cross for Ulloa. David Fucking NUGENT!

Obi is still quite a limited footballer, but at least he's now playing with a bit of heart and commitment. He does have the pace and strength to hurt defences in the right situation, and that made the difference on Saturday.

Gouffran was getting a lot of praise on the radio v Leicester for the brilliant defensive shift he was putting in.

Completely unfounded bollocks. I wasn't at the match so I couldn't see his full off the ball movement, but what I did see on the box was definitely nothing like a brilliant defensive shift. He stood around with his mouth gaping watching Nugent waltz past him and put in a glorious cross for Ulloa. David f***ing NUGENT!

You do realise Gouffran is a striker don't you? Not a winger, not a central midfielder - a striker. This guy has been Pardewed more than any other member of our first team FFS! No wonder he's standing around not knowing what a defensive wide player should do, he isn't one.

Obi is still quite a limited footballer, but at least he's now playing with a bit of heart and commitment. He does have the pace and strength to hurt defences in the right situation, and that made the difference on Saturday.

Obertan is shit, he's scored once in 2 seasons for a reason.

Completely unfounded bollocks. I wasn't at the match so I couldn't see his full off the ball movement, but what I did see on the box was definitely nothing like a brilliant defensive shift. He stood around with his mouth gaping watching Nugent waltz past him and put in a glorious cross for Ulloa. David f***ing NUGENT!

You do realise Gouffran is a striker don't you? Not a winger, not a central midfielder - a striker. This guy has been Pardewed more than any other member of our first team FFS! No wonder he's standing around not knowing what a defensive wide player should do, he isn't one.

Oh I realize that believe me! Just making the point that he's so poor defensively and we can all see it, yet al pards continues to persist with him there because he gives us a "solid honest effort" and "tracks back" and "puts in a tackle". He clearly does none of those things, yet the radio seems to think he put in a brilliant defensive shift.

Let's see if he's still starting games in December then.

Let's see if he's still starting games in December then.

Hopefully, there'll be a better option in the near future - either Cabella finding his feet, or Sammy finding consistency, or a new arrival in January (unlikely)

But in the meantime, let's admit there's been some improvement in his attitude and make use of that.

Never had a problem with Obertan. He is what he is, pacey but limited..

Hes offering something Cabella and Gouffran weren't. In the long term, no thanks.

Same, with the caveat that Cabella wasn't given enough time to adapt and Gouffran was ruined by Pardew.

He's the only orthodox winger in the squad. Tbh I'm surprised he's reemerged this late - Pardew's been totally lost with how to use unconventional forward players for ages now. Obertan will be in the team every week from now on I suspect, it's the only type of winger Pardew has a semblance of knowledge in how to use. Cos it's so basic.

Was achingly obvious Cabella would never work here.

Sorry like but he isn't a winger. He is a 433 forward. Nathan Dyer and Jesus Navas are orthodox wingers. Gabriel Obertan is a channel forward made to cut inside and provide a few tricks. He doesn't have the directness of an orthodox winger.

Edit: He could easily have the physical attributes to be a winger of course. What I mean though is that throughout his footballing education he hasn't been moulded or groomed to be a winger. Pardew is just completely mis-using him.

Sorry like but he isn't a winger. He is a 433 forward. Nathan Dyer and Jesus Navas are orthodox wingers. Gabriel Obertan is a channel forward made to cut inside and provide a few tricks. He doesn't have the directness of an orthodox winger.

Edit: He could easily have the physical attributes to be a winger of course. What I mean though is that throughout his footballing education he hasn't been moulded or groomed to be a winger. Pardew is just completely mis-using him.

Agree completely. Should be left side of a front three in a 4-3-3. The very position he did so well from to get the goal.