Gabriel Obertan signs for Anzhi

Optimistic Nut

In the lead up to Southampton's equaliser, he made a very half-hearted challenge for a 50-50 ball. Basically, he was scared of getting hurt. Okay, it didn't directly lead to the goal, but it was a chance to stop their attack and launch a break, and he didn't take it.

There are just too many moments like that from this player.

Obertan should have come off around 60 minutes, his game had peaked. We needed to get Aarons on to keep their Right side honest and keep them guessing/worried at the unpredictability of Aarons.

Obertan was decent today I thought. Haidara on the other hand...

Obertan made no attempt to help Haidara....Left Haidara trying to cover vs 2 Southampton attackers continuously.

HBA likes this.

I laughed at this.

But Obertan offers so much more defensively usually!!!

I find it hard to believe neither Ayoze nor Aarons got on the pitch today :(

This is one of my main gripes with today. Trying not to put too much in to it yet, but they're just miles above Obertan.

Obertan should have come off around 60 minutes, his game had peaked. We needed to get Aarons on to keep their Right side honest and keep them guessing/worried at the unpredictability of Aarons.

This

and to drive at pace at a full back who'd been booked. I thought Obertan had a decent game but not having a go at a full back booked early on was his mistake and the teams tactically. Spent too much time getting the ball from Haidara with his back to  the full back and being held up rather than getting the defender face up.

He ran out of steam after 70 minutes, fair enough, but he was being a bit lazy with his tracking on a few occasions much earlier in the game.

Wasn't lazy, he just doesn't have a football brain.

Obertan made no attempt to help Haidara....Left Haidara trying to cover vs 2 Southampton attackers continuously.

Agreed

Don't agree

He was pretty much at fault for the second goal for me. He makes the slightest effort to help cut out that cross, or more so, stop them even getting in to a crossing position, he had plenty of time and opportunity, and they don't score. He just fucking wandered about, 5 yards away, making no effort what so ever. That was the worst example, there were plenty others.

Agreed

Don't agree

He was pretty much at fault for the second goal for me. He makes the slightest effort to help cut out that cross, or more so, stop them even getting in to a crossing position, he had plenty of time and opportunity, and they don't score. He just fucking wandered about, 5 yards away, making no effort what so ever. That was the worst example, there were plenty others.

It's like he thinks he's too good to defend which would be hilarious

Yes Haidara didn't get much help from the useless man from Mars, but don't fucking tell me that this was a big reason that Haidara looked poor! I don't know how many times the ball went out on their right hand flank with Haidara failing to get out there quickly enough to pressure Tadic (?), instead he got ages of time with the ball and not even then did Haidara press him well enough despite Tadic having the ball for a few seconds and acres of space to put himself in a good position to cross. On top of that he couldn't handle the ball at all. I was even wondering if he was left footed or not. Lost the ball countless time going forward, or hitting a cross straight at the first man, or him and Obertan played themselves in to a tight corner with their meaningless short passing to each other, and not just one pass. Simply because they couldn't move well enough with the ball and create space for themselves and switch the play to other more open areas. A couple of times Haidara miscontrolled the ball and was just spinning around without knowing where the ball was, only for it to end up in a throw in to Southampton. There was quite a few times where Haidara got the ball and only needed to make a quick simple ball to a team mate, but instead it took to long for him to do this and he ended up passing it straight in to the opposition because they got all the time in the world to press him before he released the ball. Thank God it went out for a throw in for us most of the times. Poor positioning from him before he got the ball combined with poor technical ability got him into avoidable tight positions. I like Haidara, but lets be honest, right now he's nowhere good enough, defensively or offensively.

Yeah Haidara did a lot of terrible things yesterday. I could hardly believe what I was seeing some of the time.

He certainly didn't make Obertan's life easier ont hat side either!

We can't have both of those on the same time, as both need someone stronger and more authoritative to play with.

E.g. Obertan with Janmaat, and Sissoko with Haidara. However I want Sissoko to stick to one spot this year and really master it, so we really shouldn't be swapping his side for the sake of Gabriel Obertan.

Although both our goals came from our left flank (first one a lucky deflection on the cross which killed their goalkeeper and the second a cross that Obertan could never produce again even if he tried it 1000 times) both Southampton's goals came from our left flank too. Obertan's tracking back was terrible and resulted in Haidara's inability to quickly commit to attacking 1 certain player. As a result it appears he was at fault for both goals, but really he was hung out to dry by Obershan.

Although both our goals came from our left flank (first one a lucky deflection on the cross which killed their goalkeeper and the second a cross that Obertan could never produce again even if he tried it 1000 times) both Southampton's goals came from our left flank too. Obertan's tracking back was terrible and resulted in Haidara's inability to quickly commit to attacking 1 certain player. As a result it appears he was at fault for both goals, but really he was hung out to dry by Obershan.

Most people too happy to blame Haidara, despite no one else trying to help him.