Gabriel Obertan signs for Anzhi

Optimistic Nut

He's fucking shit, he's had more chances than far, far talented individuals at this club who'd done far more in their short period of time before being shipped out, and the evidence of him being absolutely, unequivocally, unilaterally filthy, green dogshit is so overwhelming that no amount of anomalous data points, such as his assist yesterday, will even come close to changing that. In fact, every instance of actual footballing ability he shows is an outlier of a data point on the line graph of his fucking crackshit career.

Haidara was awful for the second. Was awful full stop pretty much. No use being decent going forward if you're goign to defend like that.

as you're in the obertan thread how did you think obertan did defensively for lead up to the second and in the 10-15 minutes before it when he was watching their players run past him to double up on haidara?

i'm not saying haidara wasn't at fault but obertan was nothing short of disgraceful during that period, should have been the first one off the pitch

Pretty ineffective. But ultimately your LB's job is to prevent crosses coming in, or at least pressurise the attacker (turning your back is piss poor), and the RB has to challenge more effectively at the far post.

Obertan was poor in the lead up but it was very bad, fundamental fullback play from our lads which lead to the goal.

He's f***ing s***, he's had more chances than far, far talented individuals at this club who'd done far more in their short period of time before being shipped out, and the evidence of him being absolutely, unequivocally, unilaterally filthy, green dogshit is so overwhelming that no amount of anomalous data points, such as his assist yesterday, will even come close to changing that. In fact, every instance of actual footballing ability he shows is an outlier of a data point on the line graph of his f***ing crackshit career.

Man, get a drink or sleep is better than typing this.

That's my biggest issue with Obertan. His time at this club has been punctuated by him keeping out actual, talented footballers who deserve his place.

I'd agree if that's not Aarons.  Aarons seems very injury prone and I am all for keeping him on the bench till he's fully ready.  He has had two major injuries last season and any more may severely damage his career.

So his two stand out moments have now happened at home on the first game of the season. When he chased a 60 yard lost cause to win a throw-in off Sagna, and now his cross. His roll should be restricted to coming on at half-time on the opening day only.

There was also the epic pass back for Anita who skinned two men and set up Remy to score against Chelsea. Followed by his world cup winning celebration afterwards.

Obertan could score a hat trick and people would still give him stick. Boils my p*ss, forget the past he played well yesterday and there is no need for half the ground to get on his back after any slight error.

He caused Southampton problems and looked a threat. The assist was quality, too.

Except for the assist, and another one or two moments in the 2nd half, when the hell did he look a threat and cause Southampton trouble? This guy lacks a brain. He has so much space yet has no idea what to do with it everytime. He never challenges, and almost never creates anything. I even bet his assist was just trying to save the ball from going over the touchline ;)

Obertan could score a hat trick and people would still give him stick. Boils my piss, forget the past he played well yesterday and there is no need for half the ground to get on his back after any slight error.

He caused Southampton problems and looked a threat. The assist was quality, too.

His assist was the only decent thing he did, otherwise he did exactly as Crumpy says, passed it straight back to whoever gave him it like it was a hot potato.

Just went to have a look on Youtube to see if he's gone downhill or what: Gabriel Obertan Manchester United Wing Wizard. Spoiler: only two of the clips result in him finding a fellow player in an attacking position, the rest is him losing the ball, running into a player or playing a simple pass. Even Luque was mint on Youtube.

When asked why he picked Obertan over fan favourite Rolando Aarons, McClaren said: “It was tactical really in aspect to Cedric Soares, who is a hell of an attacking full-back and we wanted somebody to stay wide and curb that.

“I think he (Obertan) did it that well. Southampton took Soares off at half-time and changed him.

“We have been trying to get him to do that a bit more.”

Not sure I agree with that, especially considering their first goal. And they took him off before he was sent off IMO.

When asked why he picked Obertan over fan favourite Rolando Aarons, McClaren said: “It was tactical really in aspect to Cedric Soares, who is a hell of an attacking full-back and we wanted somebody to stay wide and curb that.

“I think he (Obertan) did it that well. Southampton took Soares off at half-time and changed him.

Not sure I agree with that, especially considering their first goal. And they took him off before he was sent off IMO.

:lol: Obertan did naff all to try and attack Cedric when he was on a yellow card, most wingers with a brain would have tried to do that as often as possible.

I disagree with his decision but I respect the mentality behind it. About time we used the fret of our wide players (at least in terms of Obertan's pace) to try and peg opposition fullbacks back, as opposed to using them as secondary fullbacks.

Still think Aarons would've been better suited to that like.

Disappointing stuff. If he did it to be careful with Aarons, he'd just say that + big up what Obertan has done in training. Seems like he actually rates him. If he thinks Obertan copes the best with attacking full backs, he'll play against the best teams. He'll play anyway now though, thanks to that assist.

I disagree with his decision but I respect the mentality behind it. About time we used the fret of our wide players (at least in terms of Obertan's pace) to try and peg opposition fullbacks back, as opposed to using them as secondary fullbacks.

Still think Aarons would've been better suited to that like.

:thup:

if mclaren's overall plan is to protect aarons a little bit from injury/expectation while throwing obertan to the wolves then i'm all for it....we can't have aarons getting crippled like last year

perez is more baffling, and i don't like what's going on there

Don't mean to defend the lad as I want him out as much as anybody, but he put a few fairly aggressive sliding tackles in yesterday, which surprised me.

In bursts he did do this, but generally he just stands around not having the slightest clue what to do. He's one of the crappest players off the ball I've ever seen. Even more so when we've got possession.

Can't abide him in the team. Is shite and will be released at the end of the season, sooner we have other players playing instead of him the better.