Gabriel Obertan signs for Anzhi

Optimistic Nut

In the wider context of our game he's great for opening up teams on the counter attack. His pace is what we missed last year, and why I believe we traded Routledge for him, because the former simply wasn't providing that.

He seems to be providing what Dyer did during the Robson days. Dyer had his critics but Solano used to pick the ball up from deep and slip a pass to Dyer and he was away. Teams never knew what hit them.

You should have heard some of the stuff I was calling him during the first half, he was fucking worse than cancer in the first half, absolutely fucking embarrassing.

2nd half he was actually respectable and almost, almost impressed me on a couple of occasions.

Guest Dontooner

Exceeded my expectations today...underrated player by many in this forum...

His physical presence and playing style is really good for the team now. He wins some headed balls..his attacking very direct...and he cuts inside very well..although he needs to play consistently at this standard ... to justify his starts.

Just needs to sort out his crossing...and he would be a wonderful player for us. He could be one of those players that proves his doubters wrong..

stil annoys me that he just lays it off to Simpson every time theres an opportunity to knock a ball into the box.  He did it countless times in the first half.  Should work on that part of his game and have a go himself.  Wouldn't mind if Simpson could cross like Beckham, but unfortunately Beckham he is not.

I thought he was pretty good today, but in addition to the above it really annoys me when he has the defender(s) backing off and actually gets into the box with the ball but then lays it back. You're in the box man, just keep going towards goal and force them commit to something!

But yeah, much improved. A real threat with his pace and gave us options on the break. Wish we'd put someone higher up the pitch on opponent corners mind. Especially when they only had ten men, was bugging me how we were letting them off on that score.

He's consistently improved with every start, was a big fret today.

This is rife for a pun, surely? Most of the forum comedians must have mist it...

Yeah, he was ethereal!

I thought his performance struck a chord, but can he sustain it?

He's getting better thanks to being at a club with a proper manager in Pardew who is sorting him out instead of that Fergie who just says play

:rolleyes: