Gabriel Obertan signs for Anzhi

Optimistic Nut

Wages, 35? More?

I hope he's paying us.

:lol:

Soz if you've already commented but what are your thoughts on his performance yesterday?

I have already commented.

Thought he was fucking awful in the first half, embarrassing at times, 2nd half he was more than respectable, bordering on me saying he had a good 2nd half, but I won't say that about him. :bluestar:

Wages, 35? More?

I hope he's paying us.

Soz if you've already commented but what are your thoughts on his performance yesterday?

Thought he was f***ing awful in the first half, embarrassing at times, 2nd half he was more than respectable, bordering on me saying he had a good 2nd half, but I won't say that about him. :bluestar:

I feel exactly the same way about your post. :p

I must have been watching a different game, thought he was easily one of our best players in the first half, absolutely everything was comi g down the right. I can understand frustration due to his lacking final ball and taking on players, It's clearly a confidence issue as he is already leaps and bounds better than his first game.

His short passing and link up play was very crisp and he looked eager to make things happen. Can certainly improve but as someone said frightening potential if he works out some of the kinks. The right was certainly working better than the left. Santon should rectify that.

Guest Dontooner

Interestingly enough Obertan might have realized that he is  s*** at crossing....In the 1st half he laid all the balls to Simpson to put them in (6-9 balls)....The impressive thing is that he created alot of space for Simpson for each cross....aka. a Man United Style that allows space for gary to cross.

Both of them still have a point to prove....but their partnership looks pretty decent given the amount of play time they had together. Missed the jose and Jonas teamwork but we might have got ourselves another pair that could work as well.

Thought he was very good, second half in particular as a lot of people have said. Good point above about his crossing, he had a couple that he tried to cross in the first half that were completely mis-hit and went flying out of play. But he also had a few where he passed the ball into the box (such as the Best chance in the first half that went over the bar) and in the second half he picked players out in the box a couple of times by just passing it into them (one in particular to Simpson near the end). He also showed a willingness to really stretch them in the second half with his pace. A couple of times when Simpson or Tiote had the ball he made surging runs forward looking to get in behind Givet with a long ball over his head. It's as if in the second half it clicked and he realised what he could do to Givet if he just ran at him with pace. He absolutely destroyed him second half, he couldn't get near him, and if he can keep doing that he'll be a very dangerous winger for us.

Wages, 35? More?

I hope he's paying us.

Thought he was f***ing awful in the first half, embarrassing at times, 2nd half he was more than respectable, bordering on me saying he had a good 2nd half, but I won't say that about him. :bluestar:

I feel exactly the same way about your post. :p

I must have been watching a different game, thought he was easily one of our best players in the first half, absolutely everything was comi g down the right. I can understand frustration due to his lacking final ball and taking on players, It's clearly a confidence issue as he is already leaps and bounds better than his first game.

His short passing and link up play was very crisp and he looked eager to make things happen. Can certainly improve but as someone said frightening potential if he works out some of the kinks. The right was certainly working better than the left. Santon should rectify that.

You probably do, I watch a game where we have a right winger who can't control a ball, lacks confidence when trying to beat players, doesn't use his pace with any intelligence, with an end product that makes me weep on a consistent basis.

He improved on all aspects after half time, and he is improving on a game by game basis, but then he needs to.

No one likes having sheer pace coming towards them. He can't cross the ball, though, and it's irritating me. It's frustrating because it was a bit of a peach that found Coloccini's head against Forest in the week. Was that a fluke? Or is he just erratic as fuck?

Reminds me of someone... I've made this analogy before and at present i'm happy to stick with it; he's a poor Jonas, imo. Who, btw, has improved his 'delivery technique' quite considerably over the years. I've actually come to garner a buzz of anticipation whenever he's charging towards the box, and on the rare-ish occasions that he cuts inside. He flashes shots towards goal with more frequency now, and more often than not they're on target. His crossing, to the far post more than anything, is still erratic but his end product is noticably better than what it once was.

Obertan could learn a few things from Jonas. He's useful to have in the side when we're at home and taking the game to the opposition - pace on the break is what he offers above anything - but i'm still far from convinced with the guy. At present, i feel that Marveaux is the better long-term option.

Could be a good player.

No one likes having sheer pace coming towards them. He can't cross the ball, though, and it's irritating me. It's frustrating because it was a bit of a peach that found Coloccini's head against Forest in the week. Was that a fluke? Or is he just erratic as fuck?

Reminds me of someone... I've made this analogy before and at present i'm happy to stick with it; he's a poor Jonas, imo. Who, btw, has improved his 'delivery technique' quite considerably over the years. I've actually come to garner a buzz of anticipation whenever he's charging towards the box, and on the rare-ish occasions that he cuts inside. He flashes shots towards goal with more frequency now, and more often than not they're on target. His crossing, to the far post more than anything, is still erratic but his end product is noticably better than what it once was.

Obertan could learn a few things from Jonas. He's useful to have in the side when we're at home and taking the game to the opposition - pace on the break is what he offers above anything - but i'm still far from convinced with the guy. At present, i feel that Marveaux is the better long-term option.

Could be a good player.

Took Jonas till he was 28 to get to that level, Obertan is 22, so some hope surely?

Fingers crossed regular football brings out the final ball in him and he becomes effective because if he does he'll be deadly.

Could be a good player.

Took Jonas till he was 28 to get to that level, Obertan is 22, so some hope surely?

Fingers crossed regular football brings out the final ball in him and he becomes effective because if he does he'll be deadly.

Fair point. I hadn't realised he was that young actually. Armchair fan see.

One thing I do really like about Obertan despite his lack of end product at present is his good touch added to sheer pace. Those things alone create threat, space and opportunities for the team. Hopefully if he can add consistency he'll prove to be a good signing.

Guest MrSundlofer

His performance vs Blackburn = o run of games, playing 90 minutes week in week out, confidence from the manager. Just what Obertan needs.