Gabriel Obertan signs for Anzhi

People can base their opinions on whatever they like though, that's the point.

It doesn't matter if you've seen him once or 100 times, whether he's 15 or 50. You can not rate someone if you like.

[shit irrelevant comparison]

If I taste Marmite and don't like it, do I have to try 20 more times before I conclude that I don't like it? :razz:

[/shit irrelevant comparison

I agree on the Marveaux thing, not because I think Obertan is poor just Marveaux is currently the better player from the little I have seen. The more Obertan plays the better he should get though and he has a lot of good attributes, just needs a bit more luck and confidence. There are times when he does brilliantly but does absolutely nothing with the ball at the end of it, not even attempt a pass or cross just nothing. That's nothing to do with ability, he just seems to scared to fuck it up which ironically fucks it up.

That fantastic cross in the cup should have given him a boost but it doesn't look like it so far. Hopefully something will soon.

People can base their opinions on whatever they like though, that's the point.

It doesn't matter if you've seen him once or 100 times, whether he's 15 or 50. You can not rate someone if you like.

[shit irrelevant comparison]

If I taste Marmite and don't like it, do I have to try 20 more times before I conclude that I don't like it? :razz:

[/shit irrelevant comparison

Each to their own I suppose, I just think it's wrong to judge players on such limited viewing. We would have about 3 players on the pitch if the manager viewed things like that and Demba Ba would be sitting in the reserves waiting to be flogged/released in January going off his first few chances.

He's s****, man.

He's sticking up for him on this very page. :lol: And Skirge didn't say that he was shit.

Ok what do you want me to find? You said that no-one had said he was shit and I found 3 posts almost instantly saying he was shit (or anger at his signing).

Given my point you were questioning was that some were starting the lad at shit and he had to work his way up from there then I found 3 posts were people were angry at the signing from the off I don't know what I am being asked to justify ???

Has played in this league for Man U?! What the odd sub appearance spread out over how many years. That's really going to allow him to develop. Can't believe you would say that. Find it even harder to believe that you would then claim Simpson offers decent support to him going forward. Unreal.

He played 14 games in this league for Man U over 2 seasons, he also played 6 times for them in the Champions League.  As for me saying that Simpson offered "decent support" where did I say that?

The Marveaux situation still seems quite bizarre to me, not just that he's not playing but he's barely even featuring off the bench. Got to wonder if it is some sort of underlying fitness issue. Big decisions to make against Wigan, there's arguments to be made both for a reshuffle/rest and for keeping it as it is. Think Obertan's keeping his place mainly because of a lack of competition down the right hand side though and it's not fair to move Jonas over imo.

He's s****, man.

He's sticking up for him on this very page. :lol: And Skirge didn't say that he was s***.

Ok what do you want me to find? You said that no-one had said he was s*** and I found 3 posts almost instantly saying he was s*** (or anger at his signing).

Given my point you were questioning was that some were starting the lad at s*** and he had to work his way up from there then I found 3 posts were people were angry at the signing from the off I don't know what I am being asked to justify ???

I didn't say that no-one said that he was shit, I said that I could only remember one and you've found two and one of the two is sticking up for him now.  I don't think he's shit, I just don't think he's our best option in the position he's getting games in.

The Marveaux situation still seems quite bizarre to me, not just that he's not playing but he's barely even featuring off the bench. Got to wonder if it is some sort of underlying fitness issue. Big decisions to make against Wigan, there's arguments to be made both for a reshuffle/rest and for keeping it as it is. Think Obertan's keeping his place mainly because of a lack of competition down the right hand side though and it's not fair to move Jonas over imo.

Marveaux has played 120 minutes twice and lasted well both times, he can't be that unfit.

if Pardew didnt see what's happening with Obertan yesterday, he's never going to. he's not atrocious, he just sticks out like a sore thumb in a midfield that is comfortable on the ball and rarely loses it. we need to be reducing the amount of players who cant keep the ball, give marveuax a chance.

if Pardew didnt see what's happening with Obertan yesterday, he's never going to. he's not atrocious, he just sticks out like a sore thumb in a midfield that is comfortable on the ball and rarely loses it. we need to be reducing the amount of players who cant keep the ball, give marveuax a chance.

I think it's important to have some players who can swing crosses with the foot that corresponds to the side they're playing on - neither of our left sided players are left footed, although obviously Jonas put a rare tremendous left footed effort in yesterday and if you put Marveaux down the right, it's another player who has to check back and that can slow attacks down and the crosses are rarely as effective. That would only leave Simpson as the one of the four who can put them in naturally, and his crossing is shit.

I'm aware Obertan's hardly David Beckham but it's a lot easier for full backs to defend against wingers who effectively can't beat them for pace and put a cross in, no matter how quick they are, because at some point they're going to have to check back.

The only position he should play is just behind Ba.

Still think he'll come good, but more in behind the main striker.

I want to see 4-5-1 as i'm ripping shit up in Fifa with it

Cabaye    Tiote      Jonas\Marveux

Obertan    Ben Arfa

Ba

I think it's important to have some players who can swing crosses with the foot that corresponds to the side they're playing on - neither of our left sided players are left footed, although obviously Jonas put a rare tremendous left footed effort in yesterday and if you put Marveaux down the right, it's another player who has to check back and that can slow attacks down and the crosses are rarely as effective. That would only leave Simpson as the one of the four who can put them in naturally, and his crossing is shit.

I'm aware Obertan's hardly David Beckham but it's a lot easier for full backs to defend against wingers who effectively can't beat them for pace and put a cross in, no matter how quick they are, because at some point they're going to have to check back.

mate i'm fully for putting Jonas on the right and Marveaux on the left, dont think we'll see it this season though

Needs to play to his strengths and just fucking peg it towards defenders every chance he gets to lessen the chances of getting dispossesed or misplacing a pass.  Sadly that's the only thing I've seen him bring to the team so far.

Expecting him to have a good game against Wigan btw,it's no coincidence that his stand out performance was at home to Blackburn.

Agreed he has and probably will be more effective against poorer teams. Thats why we have to get Ben Arfa, Marveaux and Santon up to speed (or at least see more of them) in the next three games before we play Man city Man u and Chelski on the bounce. Can't see Obertan, Best or Simpson doing particularly well in those games and its a bit of a big ask to throw Ben arfa, marveaux and Santon into those games cold.

Its not that i think Obertan, Best and Simpson are all terrible, far from it. Best has played well, Obertan is good in flashes and could get alot better. Its just i think Santon Ben Arfa and Marveaux may well improve our team. Add that bit more quality and give us the cutting edge we need in the last 3rd of the pitch against better quality opposition.

mate i'm fully for putting Jonas on the right and Marveaux on the left, dont think we'll see it this season though

If Ashley's spending in January(:lol:) it wouldn't hurt for us to go out and buy a right-sided, right-footed midfielder.

Newcastle's summer signing Gabriel Obertan is confident the club can build on their fantastic start to their Premier League campaign.

The high-profile departures of Kevin Nolan, Jose Enrique and Joey Barton over the summer, as well as the failure to buy a big-name striking replacement for Andy Carroll, led many to believe the Magpies would struggle this season.

However, the St James' Park outfit have defied those gloomy pre-season predictions by remaining unbeaten in their opening eight games - their best league start for 17 years - and currently sit in fourth place in the table.

Obertan, who moved to the club from Manchester United, feels the side can continue their positive start to the season.

"The club is progressing nicely and going in the right direction," the 22-year-old told the NewcastleEvening Chronicle.

"It was one of the reasons why I came here because I liked the ideas of the manager and the type of players he wants to bring here.

"I love the challenge here. There are a lot of good players and we have to keep fighting for our place.

"Now we have to continue the great start we've had and build on things."

Obertan is one of a number of French players including Yohan Cabaye, Sylvain Marveaux and Demba Ba, who have formed the backbone of boss Alan Pardew's rebuilding plans at the North East club.

The former Bordeaux man revealed that all the French players are already settled at the club but stressed that every member of the squad have played their part so far and will continue to contribute throughout the season.

"The French players have settled in very well here already," added Obertan.

"But it is not only about us, it is about the whole group, and it is going really well.

"There are a lot of good young players coming through the ranks here and they are all for the future."

SSN

The next game is going to be vital for him I would believe. He could very well be dropped for a few games if he doens't perform against wigan. And rightly so, Wigan is a team I expect us to really put up against, atleast with their current form and our wingers will have to be lethal going forward in this game.

Guest MrSundlofer

He has had a great start to his Newcastle career. Regular in the first team and some good performances. Didn't expect that.

He needs to be more direct in his style though. And don't hesitate in when he is in an attacking position.

I really got this feeling that Pardew is trying to get him to beeing a more of a traditional winger flying down the right hand flank. Obviously because he got the speed to do so. But during games he looks far more comfortable running inside then outside. If Pardew succeed with that intention over the autumn he could become a very different player alltogether. But who knows? will he be able to? he seems rather uncomfortable when he is going outside down the flank tbf.