Erik Pieters

Dave

Pardew is also upbeat on new arrivals with Newcastle holding constructive talks with full-back Erik Pieters yesterday.

They have offered him a four-year contract and are hopeful of pushing it over the line by Tuesday.

Pardew said: “We’re confident we’ll have some new players here by next weekend.

“I don’t want to talk about specific players, but I’m confident that by the time we play Sunderland I’ll have a left-back in place – and hopefully a striker.”

http://www.sundaysun.co.uk/sport/newcastle-united/nufc-news/2011/08/14/alan-pardew-predicts-a-treble-boost-for-nufc-79310-29231640/2/

:thup:

Pardew is also upbeat on new arrivals with Newcastle holding constructive talks with full-back Erik Pieters yesterday.

They have offered him a four-year contract and are hopeful of pushing it over the line by Tuesday.

“I don’t want to talk about specific players, but I’m confident that by the time we play Sunderland I’ll have a left-back in place – and hopefully a striker.”

http://www.sundaysun.co.uk/sport/newcastle-united/nufc-news/2011/08/14/alan-pardew-predicts-a-treble-boost-for-nufc-79310-29231640/2/

Pardew is confident about a great many things.

I've been back and forth over Simpson, but if we don't sign a right-back this summer, i can't see it being one of the things i'll immediately turn to once we've inevitably underachieved come May. He's a reasonable full-back. Enrique was a quality one, so we need to replace him with somebody of similar ability, or we've simply gone backwards. It's not like we haven't had time to research it, when it became clear months ago that Enrique's departure was likely.

How would you define us 'underachieving' this season? Finishing below 12th?

Finishing below what we did last season would be pathetic tbh, given the money we have and the time we've had to plan spend it. All things considered, underachieving would be represented by a failure to make a real shot at Europe. That's my honest opinion.

I've been back and forth over Simpson, but if we don't sign a right-back this summer, i can't see it being one of the things i'll immediately turn to once we've inevitably underachieved come May. He's a reasonable full-back. Enrique was a quality one, so we need to replace him with somebody of similar ability, or we've simply gone backwards. It's not like we haven't had time to research it, when it became clear months ago that Enrique's departure was likely.

How would you define us 'underachieving' this season? Finishing below 12th?

Finishing below what we did last season would be pathetic tbh, given the money we have and the time we've had to plan spend it. All things considered, underachieving would be represented by a failure to make a real shot at Europe. That's my honest opinion.

:nods:

Pardew is confident about a great many things.

Unfortunately, this is also true.

Must admit, the Cissokho story makes this a lot less appealing. I guess its a body though.

First choice LB for the Netherlands man, I would worry more about Simpson.

I'm getting a bit tired of this. You might be an England GK but you're still rubbish. He's an average player and defo not worth 6M or anything like that.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2025987/Newcastle-bid-7m-PSVs-Erik-Pieters.html

Newcastle have raised their bid for PSV Eindhoven left-back Erik Pieters to £7million in a an effort to get the deal wrapped up before Saturday's North East derby with Sunderland.

Sportsmail revealed Newcastle's interest in the 23-year-old last week and they hope their improved offer will be enough to tempt PSV who are struggling for money.

Pieters has been on compassionate leave following the death of his grandmother but figured in Saturday's 1-0 win over RKC Waalwijk and is keen to move to England.

Newcastle boss Alan Pardew remains keen on bringing in a striker also with Arsenal's Nicklas Bendtner among his targets.

Stoke are leading the bidding but are still short of Arsenal's £11m valuation while Sunderland have also been offered the Dane but are also weighing up other targets including Tottenham's Peter Crouch.

Manager Steve Bruce saw Asamoah Gyan limp out of Saturday's 1-1 draw at Liverpool with an ankle injury after falling awkwardly and will consider dipping into the transfer market again this week.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2025987/Newcastle-bid-7m-PSVs-Erik-Pieters.html

Newcastle have raised their bid for PSV Eindhoven left-back Erik Pieters to £7million in a an effort to get the deal wrapped up before Saturday's North East derby with Sunderland.

Sportsmail revealed Newcastle's interest in the 23-year-old last week and they hope their improved offer will be enough to tempt PSV who are struggling for money.

Pieters has been on compassionate leave following the death of his grandmother but figured in Saturday's 1-0 win over RKC Waalwijk and is keen to move to England.

Newcastle boss Alan Pardew remains keen on bringing in a striker also with Arsenal's Nicklas Bendtner among his targets.

Stoke are leading the bidding but are still short of Arsenal's £11m valuation while Sunderland have also been offered the Dane but are also weighing up other targets including Tottenham's Peter Crouch.

Manager Steve Bruce saw Asamoah Gyan limp out of Saturday's 1-1 draw at Liverpool with an ankle injury after falling awkwardly and will consider dipping into the transfer market again this week.

Didn't realise this happened :lol:

What was our original bid?

Well, allegedly there was a €5 million release clause. It has become apparent that this may not be the case at all.

£6 million was the latest rumour before Sewelly posted the article above.

Guest Heneage

Spoke to a few of their fans who said they got better after he went off and that he looked a little overweight.

Spoke to a few of their fans who said they got better after he went off and that he looked a little overweight.

Hmmm :undecided:

Guest Heneage

Hmmm :undecided:

Same with Bramble apparently. I think we'll see Whickham or Ji next week.

So despite selling Enrique the day before the season started to ensure we got top dollar for him we're now having to pay over the odds to replace him?

It figures. Swings and roundabouts... :rolleyes:

Nice to see we've upped our bid though to actually make it go through.

Well, yes.

Wonder how much he would have cost us 3 or 4 weeks ago though? The important issue is that we replace Enrique and this lad seems to fit the bill. Hope he signs, and quickly. :)

Nice to see we've upped our bid though to actually make it go through.

Well, yes.

Wonder how much he would have cost us 3 or 4 weeks ago though? The important issue is that we replace Enrique and this lad seems to fit the bill. Hope he signs, and quickly. :)

Aye. Should be a done deal at some point this week.....(hopefully).