Erik Pieters

Dave

At this point I don't care who comes in as long as he ain't British (Bridge, Warnock etc) as I dont want to play Perch or Raylor or Shane at left back for a whole season.

Branco's coming out retirement. :pow:

We'd at least be dangerous to score directly on free-kicks ;)

Guest cr4igora

Where was this reported; "I fear I cannot block his transfer to Newcastle"?

The Mail are reporting that 'PSV's Erik Pieters is set for a £6million move to Newcastle as a replacement for Jose Enrique'. It seems on one minute and off the next  :rolleyes:

NEWCASTLE United are battling to push through a move for Erik Pieters in time for the Wear-Tyne derby after a day of detailed discussions with PSV Eindhoven.

United are understood to be locked in advanced talks with the Dutch giants, but sources in Holland have indicated there remain “significant obstacles” to overcome before the move is completed.

While the transfer remains alive and Newcastle are still optimistic of landing their man, financial issues must be resolved before they can talk terms with the 23-year-old left-back.

Pieters, currently mourning his grandmother, is desperate to sign for the Magpies, but the £6million transfer of José Enríque to Liverpool has alerted the selling club to the fact Newcastle have money to spend. And that means the St James’ Park club are once again surveying a list of possible alternatives, which includes long-term target full-back target Cheikh M’Bengue.

Newcastle were also hoping to make a breakthrough in their striker search over the weekend – but nothing is now imminent on either Nicklas Bendtner or Eren Derdiyok.

Moves for both have not been ruled out but neither is understood to be a priority target at this stage.

As United push ahead with their recruitment drive, they finally saw Enríque depart for Anfield in a move that the Spanish left-back hailed as a “dream”.

In words that will not endear him to the Newcastle public, he spoke of the size and ambition of the Reds as he finally signed on the dotted line for former United boss Kenny Dalglish’s side.

“This is one of the happiest days of my life. I have come to one of the biggest clubs, not just in England, but in the world,” he said.

“I am excited by the new signings – it shows Liverpool’s ambition,” added Enrique, who has signed a long-term deal.

“They spent a lot of money in January on Andy [Carroll] and Luis Suarez, and this summer they’ve spent a lot of money on other players.

"You can see they have big ambitions and that’s why I came here – because I want to win things and I think I can do that here. My ambition is win everything with Liverpool. This year we won’t play in the Champions League, so the most important thing is to try to win the league.”

It has left Pardew with a major rebuilding job but it is one that he does not mind taking on.

He points to the task undertaken at Upton Park as proof that he can handle such a transition.

He said: “At West Ham it was very similar.

“We had been relegated and I had senior players whose focus wasn’t on the job in hand. I lost a lot of senior players and one or two were disruptive.

“This time it has been slightly different.

“The senior players have been very good, and they have helped me through the process of bringing in these new players and helping me to integrate them into the group.

“Alan Smith, Harps (Steve Harper), Colo (Fabricio Coloccini) – they have been important.

“You can’t have a really good side without that guidance. Even Man United, when they rebuilt that side with the younger ones like Scholes, etc still had the older players around them to help. You have to have that.

“The most important thing about building a side is you need to get the balance right.

“I think which has been lost a little bit is the new ones who have come in give us that balance.

“Demba Ba gives us a dual role. He can play at the top of the pitch or he can link the play.

“(Yohan) Cabaye can play in Cheik’s position, he can play a bit deeper or play closer to the front.

“You will find we have signed a very good player there. We have the makings there of a good side.”

Might be Giggs like.

Depends what " the money" is. Yes we need a left back but if he is s £5m player and they are quoting ~10m we should move in.

That said, this should have all been sorted out BEFORE we fucking sold Jose!

Thijs Slegers -

I need your # Pieters on incomplete information. Excuse. Clause will be until next year. # PSV this window free to ask.

So no clause then.

In that case I don't think we'll pursue our interest in him.. It's the way this club seems to work nowadays: we're effin' bargain hunters..

Thijs Slegers -

I need your # Pieters on incomplete information. Excuse. Clause will be until next year. # PSV this window free to ask.

So no clause then.

In that case I don't think we'll pursue our interest in him.. It's the way this club seems to work nowadays: we're effin' bargain hunters..

Probleme? Oddly enough, this value for money policy has brought in a raft of rather impressive players.

Thijs Slegers -

So no clause then.

Probleme? Oddly enough, this value for money policy has brought in a raft of rather impressive players.

Agreed. Would be great if we started using the proceedings from our sales to get even better players in (rather than making a profit on transfers) to really move the club forward.

Thijs Slegers -

So no clause then.

Agreed. Would be great if we started using the proceedings from our sales to get even better players in (rather than making a profit on transfers) to really move the club forward.

The tranfer fees are only part of it, but yes, once the club itself starts making a profit, we should do that, and fingers crossed, we will.

/sorry, that was a bit comma heavy. :harry:

Thijs Slegers -

So no clause then.

The tranfer fees are only part of it, but yes, once the club itself starts making a profit, we should do that, and fingers crossed, we will.

Wrong thread, but as a fan who cares about the club making a profit? The fact is we will never be able to compete for anything other than Premiership continuity with a level of investment based solely on reinvesting any profits we have made. Most other clubs, not even just Premiership ones, have outside money coming in. With the model proposed, at best we will be able to stay where we are long term, but more likely other clubs will probably overtake us. Realistically, which clubs in Europe have been able to post profits all the whilst enjoying success on the pitch? Very few I'd have thought, and they would almost certainly all rely on having outstanding footballing knowledge from top to bottom in the club, which is something we certainly don't have..

Thijs Slegers -

So no clause then.

Left us bereft of talent or bodies at left back and up front though.

Thijs Slegers -

So no clause then.

Wrong thread, but as a fan who cares about the club making a profit? The fact is we will never be able to compete for anything other than Premiership continuity with a level of investment based solely on reinvesting any profits we have made. Most other clubs, not even just Premiership ones, have outside money coming in. With the model proposed, at best we will be able to stay where we are long term, but more likely other clubs will probably overtake us. Realistically, which clubs in Europe have been able to post profits all the whilst enjoying success on the pitch? Very few I'd have thought, and they would almost certainly all rely on having outstanding footballing knowledge from top to bottom in the club, which is something we certainly don't have..

No fan should, but it's a fact that Ashley has said that any profits the club makes will not go out of the club but invested into the team. That is why it's important, otherwise (unless he has a change in heart and goes back to throwing £20m at the club every season) we will never move on.

Forget what other clubs do, this is the model we are sadly, though not unexpectedly, following.

Guest BlacknWhiteArmy

So who do we want this guy, Mbenge or the dude from Lyon?I've never seen any of them play so I'm totally blank..

You could play one wide left to provide these through balls for Lovenkrands :thup:

So who do we want this guy, Mbenge or the dude from Lyon?I've never seen any of them play so I'm totally blank..

You could play one wide left to provide these through balls for Lovenkrands :thup:

Just wait, if he starts against some weaker teams, I'll guarantee that he'll score or have an assist.. :celb: