Erik Pieters

Dave

Guest pont-toon

Have to laugh at the fact we are linked with two international left backs yet seem content with Simpson and/or Raylor at right back.

Just what I was thinking.

I mean you wouldn't have a Nike Air on your left foot and a Hi-Tec on your right

Sportsdirect would though...

Wasn't there talk of Simpson getting an England call up during the tale end of last season or was I just imaging that? Not that being an England international is a sign of any quality or anything. Though I think he has the potential to improve and I guess that's what the clubs management see as well.

Have to laugh at the fact we are linked with two international left backs yet seem content with Simpson and/or Raylor at right back.

Just what I was thinking.

I mean you wouldn't have a Nike Air on your left foot and a Hi-Tec on your right

Sportsdirect would though...

Well it's in essence just a large lost property box.

Wasn't there talk of Simpson getting an England call up during the tale end of last season or was I just imaging that? Not that being an England international is a sign of any quality or anything. Though I think he has the potential to improve and I guess that's what the clubs management see as well.

It was simply Lee Ryder telling lies.

That was just some kissarses on twitter who knew they would get a RT by saying he should get a call up.

I've been back and forth over Simpson, but if we don't sign a right-back this summer, i can't see it being one of the things i'll immediately turn to once we've inevitably underachieved come May. He's a reasonable full-back. Enrique was a quality one, so we need to replace him with somebody of similar ability, or we've simply gone backwards. It's not like we haven't had time to research it, when it became clear months ago that Enrique's departure was likely.

theres not exactly a whole pile of decent English right backs playing week in week out so anyone who's half decent gets talk of a call up

If the cissoko link is true, doesn't it seem similar to the Tiote move where a move was agreed with someone else aswell incase the main deal fell through ?

Yeah could be, it would also fit with Pardew saying we have a few targets for the left back position.

Guest BlacknWhiteArmy

If the cissoko link is true, doesn't it seem similar to the Tiote move where a desk was agreed with someone else aswell invade the main deal fell through ?

We were in for that Arevalo weren't we?

I've been back and forth over Simpson, but if we don't sign a right-back this summer, i can't see it being one of the things i'll immediately turn to once we've inevitably underachieved come May. He's a reasonable full-back. Enrique was a quality one, so we need to replace him with somebody of similar ability, or we've simply gone backwards. It's not like we haven't had time to research it, when it became clear months ago that Enrique's departure was likely.

How would you define us 'underachieving' this season? Finishing below 12th?

Simpson was in good form when he first got back from injury, maybe eager to impress but his "i refuse to commit" nature really shone through for a period. He is physically in good shape and if we just sorted his mentality out, he would be decent. No Jose but if were our weakest starting defender, id be content compared to some of the past candidates...It just needs someone to say "look, even if you dont tackle him, atleast make it difficult and force him to make a decision"...Spurs at home was the obvious example like....

At this point I don't care who comes in as long as he ain't British (Bridge, Warnock etc) as I dont want to play Perch or Raylor or Shane at left back for a whole season.

Branco's coming out retirement. :pow: