Carling Cup 2nd Round - Scunthorpe (a) - live on Sky 25/08/11 @ 7.45pm

JH

It's always tough to balance between putting out a side strong enough to beat Scunthorpe (or whoever) whilst not jeopardising the chances of winning the following league game. The League will always be more important than Carling Cup. I'd be tempted to start with Best and/or Ba up front. I'd like to see Vuckic and Abeid get a full game each, Tiote needs another hour, Marveaux needs to start. I'd rest Cabaye and start Gosling. Perch (if fit) could start along with Williamson and Tavernier.

It's all about rotation and giving whoever needs games/fitness what they need.

I beg to differ tbh.  I'd happily take another bottom half finish (as long as we're not in danger) as opposed to finishing 8th-10th if it helped us get to the League Cup semi's giving us a decent chance of winning something.  It's been too long since we had a good cup run and we're not going to win the league any time shortly.

That's fair enough. It has been too long since we won something and realistically this Cup is our best chance of doing it. I'm just saying we shouldn't be putting our first XI out on Thursday night knowing we've got Fulham on Sunday afternoon. Mix a few young lads in with a few older heads whilst giving players like Tiote games to get him up to speed. :thup:

Oh I agree because we shouldn't need to put a full-strength side out against Scunthorpe to get the win.

I went to the 4-0 home defeat versus Arsenal last year and was pissed off that we'd fucked off another chance to have a good go at winning a trophy by playing a weakened side.  But a few days later I was torn because we beat the mackems 5-1.  In hindsight I'll forgive it because it was our first season back up in the top flight and matches against Sunderland are a special case, but in general we're not in a position to basically deliberately lose a cup match when we've went such a pathetic amount of time without a trophy.  And seen the likes of Birmingham, Leicester and  Portsmouth win trophies in the mean time.

I'd be astonished and annoyed if any of our lot genuinely wanted that tbh. I want us to win every game but some games (and competitions) are more important than others.

The team we put out against Arsenal that night was akin to deliberately losing the game imo, we wanted to get it over with and move on.

I was on about the fans like, but it's a fair point well made. :lol:

Said it in another thread but based on nothing I have a feeling Marveaux is partially forgotten but is going to be mint as fuck and a massive player for us. He needs to play to start the great things he will give us.

It's always tough to balance between putting out a side strong enough to beat Scunthorpe (or whoever) whilst not jeopardising the chances of winning the following league game. The League will always be more important than Carling Cup. I'd be tempted to start with Best and/or Ba up front. I'd like to see Vuckic and Abeid get a full game each, Tiote needs another hour, Marveaux needs to start. I'd rest Cabaye and start Gosling. Perch (if fit) could start along with Williamson and Tavernier.

I beg to differ tbh.  I'd happily take another bottom half finish (as long as we're not in danger) as opposed to finishing 8th-10th if it helped us get to the League Cup semi's giving us a decent chance of winning something.  It's been too long since we had a good cup run and we're not going to win the league any time shortly.

That's fair enough. It has been too long since we won something and realistically this Cup is our best chance of doing it. I'm just saying we shouldn't be putting our first XI out on Thursday night knowing we've got Fulham on Sunday afternoon. Mix a few young lads in with a few older heads whilst giving players like Tiote games to get him up to speed. :thup:

Oh I agree because we shouldn't need to put a full-strength side out against Scunthorpe to get the win.

I went to the 4-0 home defeat versus Arsenal last year and was pissed off that we'd fucked off another chance to have a good go at winning a trophy by playing a weakened side.  But a few days later I was torn because we beat the mackems 5-1.  In hindsight I'll forgive it because it was our first season back up in the top flight and matches against Sunderland are a special case, but in general we're not in a position to basically deliberately lose a cup match when we've went such a pathetic amount of time without a trophy.  And seen the likes of Birmingham, Leicester and  Portsmouth win trophies in the mean time.

I'd be astonished and annoyed if any of our lot genuinely wanted that tbh. I want us to win every game but some games (and competitions) are more important than others.

The team we put out against Arsenal that night was akin to deliberately losing the game imo, we wanted to get it over with and move on.

Yet if we'd won we just had Ipswich and Birmingham to win the cup didn't we? :(

I was on about the fans like, but it's a fair point well made. :lol:

Oh right, fair enough. :lol: Yeah, once the match comes around you want nothing more than to win it but I knew it was a waste of time when the teams were read out.  Didn't stop me being as radge as possible during the match, it wasn't too bad an atmosphere at all iirc.

Anyway if we ever won a trophy then all hell would break loose, it needs to happen.

All about balance, certainly, but for teams like Newcastle and Everton, this competition should be taken seriously IMO. No, I'm not saying to play your strongest team but it warrants, fitness permitting, a decent core of first teamers playing in games like this.

:thup:

Laughable at times that this competition is given little respect, as if we're currently swimming in trophies :lol:

Tavernier is at Carlisle on loan.

Tavernier is at Carlisle on loan.

Is he? Completely missed that one. :thup:

All about balance, certainly, but for teams like Newcastle and Everton, this competition should be taken seriously IMO. No, I'm not saying to play your strongest team but it warrants, fitness permitting, a decent core of first teamers playing in games like this.

Laughable at times that this competition is given little respect, as if we're currently swimming in trophies :lol:

Totally agree.

Or at least if we aren't going to take it seriously, let's admit it and stop bringing first team players on when we're losing.

Totally agree.

Or at least if we aren't going to take it seriously, let's admit it and stop bringing first team players on when we're losing.

Totally concurred, as I posted earlier I'd have 6 or 7 first teamers playing. Would be great if we could rattle in a few goals and get some players off the mar & more importantly used to playing together.

Guest CheickMansour

I think we can easily make changes without it being a team full of inexperienced kids with the likes of Harper, Williamson, Best, Marveaux, Ferguson and Gosling needing time.

We aren't playing that poorly, ok It's not been fantastic football but it hasnt been that bad either.

Two difficult games to start the season with, so the points were more important.

Hope to see Marveaux, Gosling, Ba, Abeid and Vuckic getting a run out for this game.

We aren't playing that poorly, ok It's not been fantastic football but it hasnt been that bad either.

Two difficult games to start the season with, so the points were more important.

Hope to see Marveaux, Gosling, Ba, Abeid and Vuckic getting a run out for this game.

Is Ba going to be fit?

Guest icemanblue

Why wouldn't he be? Was on the bench on the weekend and I've not read anything to the contrary.

Gan canny man, Disco. Newcastle United isn't his life, you know?