Sunderland v Newcastle - 20/08/11 at 12noon (not live on TV!)

Fatwax

Love that logic. "our team lacked cohesion on saturday, add in more new players and we have more of a chance"

We didn't lack cohesion we lacked Ameobies.

Too many Ameobi's was the problem at the weekend

What is the collective term for a gathering of Ameobi? A herd, a pride, a pack?

Love that logic. "our team lacked cohesion on saturday, add in more new players and we have more of a chance"

Clearly you need cohesion or individual brilliance to win football matches. We have neither.

A drumble. A deceptively dangerous drumble.

Clutter

Guest BlacknWhiteArmy

No, he's like Messi times 1000 against Sunderland man.

A slight exaggeration in there somewhere.

Wouldn't start with Shola, whether we've got two strikers or one striker. I'd rather we put a bit of faith in our new (and only new) centre-forward... rather than see the manager prefer someone like Shola, who'll never get better and never be a long-term answer, to him. Sunderland or no Sunderland.

----------------------------- Krul -----------------------------

Simpson ------- Taylor -------- Coloccini -------- Pieters*

---------------------------- Tiote -----------------------------

---------------- Barton ----------- Cabaye -----------------

Obertan ---------------------------------------------- Jonas

----------------------------- Ba --------------------------------

Could be a fairly diverse line-up to be honest. Just cos it's 4-5-1 doesn't mean it has to be negative. We've got three very attacking players up top there, and with a steely trio in the midfield - we should have license to attack whilst being well covered. It could revert from a 4-5-1 to a 4-4-1-1 too, depending on the context of the match. Stick Jonas on the left-wing and push Obertan up off Ba. Going 4-5-1 would depend entirely on Pieters, or another left-back, signing. Cos if we're stuck with Raylor or Perch again, Jonas will have to provide protection constantly against the likes of Elmohammady and Sessegnon.

If we get the signings in i'm confident of a draw at the very least - i wouldn't be at all surprised to see us nick it either. They won't be any pushovers but i think we're better than them.

No signings and i really can't see anything more than struggling to a point.

I think we are getting a bit worried about not being able to score against one of the best teams in the country, one renowned for keeping the ball for large quantities of a game (think I saw he had smething like 37% against them?).

If West Ham could create enough chances for him to score 7 in 12 I reckon we will have enough, a lot put it down to him playing alongside Shola but Carlton Cole isn't exactly Dennis Bergkamp when it comes to creating opportunities for a strike partner.

Someone will mention pre-season but they aren't a good measure at the best of times, let alone when they are as disjointed as our one was this season.

We have enough quality to create and score goals, Arsenal may have been missing key players but they were hardly fielding a shit side on Saturday. I think some are going a bit OTT with their anxiety about us creating/scoring after that game.

I like my anxiety before this game. The relief when we won the reverse last year was better than the game it's self. But I see your point, they won keep the ball like Arsenal and we might actually have it to make chances with

Don't get me wrong, I always have anxiety leading up to these games. Just think some (not all) seem a bit down on everything because we didn't show more against Arsenal. I think them missing players and this being "the best time to play them" or whatever was built up a bit too much and people were getting very confident leading up to the game so when we were made to look second best, to a team we are clearly second best too expectations of the squad were severly knocked.

We have some real class, we haven't narrowed the gap enough to expect to control games every time against top sides but we have enough quality in this squad to do it on occasion and to dominate a lot of others.

It will also take time for things to click as Pardew has his first real chance to bring in the type of players he wants and play the type of formations these would fit in.

I like my anxiety before this game. The relief when we won the reverse last year was better than the game it's self. But I see your point, they won keep the ball like Arsenal and we might actually have it to make chances with

Don't get me wrong, I always have anxiety leading up to these games. Just think some (not all) seem a bit down on everything because we didn't show more against Arsenal. I think them missing players and this being "the best time to play them" or whatever was built up a bit too much and people were getting very confident leading up to the game so when we were made to look second best, to a team we are clearly second best too expectations of the squad were severly knocked.

We have some real class, we haven't narrowed the gap enough to expect to control games every time against top sides but we have enough quality in this squad to do it on occasion and to dominate a lot of others.

It will also take time for things to click as Pardew has his first real chance to bring in the type of players he wants and play the type of formations these would fit in.

I thought we did well against a far superior Arsenal side, especially with a makeshift left back. We could have created more but they kept the ball too well. That wont happen on Sunday and it should give the creative element in our team a chance to shine. Yes I am just rambling to make myself feel better about the game :lol:

Feels weird with it being so early and all.

Start with the same line-up that played against Arsenal and think we'll get beat  :undecided: Can't wait though.

Because Sunderland are better than Arsenal?  ???

Feels weird with it being so early and all.

Start with the same line-up that played against Arsenal and think we'll get beat  :undecided: Can't wait though.

Because Sunderland are better than Arsenal?  ???

If only football worked like that young Cajun.

Don't think the team/formation that was used the other day would be able to cope with  the tempo of the derby. Ba and Shola's apparent inability to close down would hurt us big-time. Plus, Raylor would probably shit himself.

Sunderland always shit themselves plus Ba will be given a lot more opportunities. Who are Cabaye and Tiote against? 'Catts' and ?

I agree Raylor needs replacing but our defence kept a lot better attacking players out this weekend and it seems Sunderlands best forward is out.