L'Equipe: Modibo Maiga fails medical; transfer 'abandoned'

Optimistic Nut

Scores after 2 minutes vs. Auxerre.

You're really obsess by French players, aren't you ?

:lol: Are you having a go as well, mimi!?

I do enjoy Ligue 1, but my updating on certain players is because of the fact that Newcastle reportedly have interest in quite a few of these French players.

Guest mimifrench

I do enjoy Ligue 1, but my updating on certain players is because of the fact that Newcastle reportedly have interest in quite a few of these French players.

What is a "go" ?

What is a "go" ?

"Having a go" is a way of saying "criticising".

Guest mimifrench

What is a "go" ?

"Having a go" is a way of saying "criticising".

Thanks Sifu, but it doesn't help me to understand the meaning of his question.  :lol:

post match comment from Pardew:

"My forwards are rising to the challenge of proving that I don't need to sign another striker and this team's starting to excite me."

Think we'll probably not make any serious effort to get him.

Really depends what happens between now and January, if Best and Ba keep scoring goals then it's probably unlikely we'll sign a striker in January..... :undecided:

post match comment from Pardew:

"My forwards are rising to the challenge of proving that I don't need to sign another striker and this team's starting to excite me."

Think we'll probably not make any serious effort to get him.

He Should have said "my strikers are gash, I have no faith in them and really there is no point in them trying to impress me as I've wrote them all off and can't stop laughing at the thought of any of them scoring goals"

That quote's different depending on where you read it. In some papers it says something along the lines of 'they're raising their game due to newspaper speculation about us bringing in a stirker. I've told them to prove to me I don't need another one, and they're certainly doing that at the moment.'

January's a long way off and there'll be some tough games ahead before then. Best and Ba will have to keep scoring goals, and that too against better quality teams before we can say that we don't need a striker. Best has done sterling work since he signed but he still has to prove that he's a premier level striker over a full season. Then there's an argument that we need the option of a pacey striker who can run the channels. Though where he would fit in with Ben Arfa in the team I don't know. But it would be nice to have the option.

Guest Dontooner

Maiga and Roux is pretty pacey for their heights....

In a way , it is probably a chance for the current crop of strikers to prove themselves.

I can see Best being sold if he fades into December ..we need to start buying since Loven and Nile    is probably leaving next summer. We need a new starting striker or at least a backup

Wouldn't want a backup striker. I think we're very well with what we have atm. Best, Ba, HBA, little ameobi, Vuckic. The two latter ones should also be given a chance at times aswell. If we were to sign a forward. He should be a big name one. Wich I really doubt we'll get in a january window. However. hopefully we are still monitoring the progress of both Cissokho and pieters. Wouldn't mind getting ridgewell and onouha in either as I think both really would be just what we would need in the defence to get the depth and strenght/pace we need back there.

Wouldn't want a backup striker. I think we're very well with what we have atm. Best, Ba, HBA, little ameobi, Vuckic. The two latter ones should also be given a chance at times aswell.

And when Ba buggers off to Africa?

An injury to Best would mean we'll probably see Shola and Ben Arfa up front. And if anyone can render HBA's strengths useless, it's that immobile pile of talentless garbage.

Aye it's tough to work out in a way, as you want some ability for a forward to be able to fashion goals if the more finesse footy isn't quite working.

However I think a player who is comfortable on the ball and in linkup play is essential. Do we want a player whose going to drop deep though? Could interfere with Ben Arfa so a poacher role...

Gervinho mould is obviously what was wanted, and probably what we're looking for, speedy, going to zoom ahead of defence from a swift pass, can't see much wrong with this in principle.

Aye, 4 in 6 now this season. Guess it shows something about him that he's seemingly getting on with his job despite being gutted about not getting a move. Reckon we'll go back for him in January?

Every goal he scores will make Sochaux even more determined to hang on to him and they will have more clubs interested driving the price up. We've missed the boat on this one, I can't see them selling for £7m now.