L'Equipe: Modibo Maiga fails medical; transfer 'abandoned'

Optimistic Nut

Guest bimpy474

If he was to cancel his contract, would we still be allowed to sign him? Or is that against the rules? Hypothetically.

Against the rules i'm afraid, you had to be a free agent before the window closed to be eligible.

http://www.talksport.co.uk/sports-news/football/premier-league/transfer-rumours/1119/44/maiga-set-shun-january-move-newcastle-after-sochaux-truce

Newcastle target Modibo Maiga insists he will not pursue a move to the Premier League in January after deciding his future lies at Sochaux.

Alan Pardew tried hard to land a new striker during the transfer window and turned to Maiga, 24, in late August.

But the French club complained to FIFA about the Magpies' about their pursuit of the Mali international, who hit 15 goals in 35 Ligue 1 appearances last season.

And Maiga's relationship with Sochaux soured after he made no secret of his desire to move to Tyneside and it has been reported that he will still leave the club in January.

But, speaking to L'Equipe, Maiga has revealed he no longer plans to move away.

He said: "Everything is forgotten. I don't want to speak any more on the issue.

"I have now recovered from some physical problems and I now have the chance to play in the first team.

"Every player likes to receive offers but in my case the president did not want to sell.

"He spoke with me and told me I needed to stay at Sochaux and I prefer to leave things the way they are."

He's just trying to get picked for the first team again, I wouldn't read too much into those comments. I still don't think we'll sign him now in any case. If he does well other clubs will be sniffing. If he does badly we'll probably have second thoughts ourselves.

He's just trying to get picked for the first team again, I wouldn't read too much into those comments. I still don't think we'll sign him now in any case. If he does well other clubs will be sniffing. If he does badly we'll probably have second thoughts ourselves.

Yup. Hardly emphatic.

Not sure he's the type of striker i would want.

Agree.

He was our third or fourth choice by all accounts and looks as if he's only really had a decent'ish spell at sochaux. I mean 14 in 36 is not bad but it's not setting the world on fire.

Hopefully everyone has been severely scolded following the summer and Mr Carr is out their tying up the striker version of Cabaye.

I guess.

Agree.

He was our third or fourth choice by all accounts and looks as if he's only really had a decent'ish spell at sochaux. I mean 14 in 36 is not bad but it's not setting the world on fire.

Hopefully everyone has been severely scolded following the summer and Mr Carr is out their tying up the striker version of Cabaye.

I would think that the reason we pursued him up until the final day was because Carr rated him highly in any case. The fact that Sochaux refused to sell him also suggests they must rate him pretty highly, one season or not.

Agree.

I would think that the reason we pursued him up until the final day was because Carr rated him highly in any case. The fact that Sochaux refused to sell him also suggests they must rate him pretty highly, one season or not.

Possibly. But still not Mr Carrs first choice if the Gameiro, Gervinho, Erdinc stuff is true.

Guest magpie99

We should have signed Cisse. If we had, and with Ben Arfa back, I am certain we would be able to have the goal scoring strength to challenge top 6 at least.

Guest Dontooner

Relative to the price which we were willing to pay for him, it could have been a great coup for us. Watched him over the season ...seem not only big and strong but quick as well.

I think it's more likely that Sunderland will try and sign Eric Pieters as they have no decent left back, and like King Kunny, Bruce does most of his scouting at St James Park.

I reckon they'll all be at it soon man. We bring in a few more gems and next thing you know Liverpool, Spurs etc etc will be snapping up every player we try and sign. "Newcastle want him, he must be fucking class" :smug:

We should start making dummy bids for shit players to fuck them all up. :troll:

I think it's more likely that Sunderland will try and sign Eric Pieters as they have no decent left back, and like King Kunny, Bruce does most of his scouting at St James Park.

I reckon they'll all be at it soon man. We bring in a few more gems and next thing you know Liverpool, Spurs etc etc will be snapping up every player we try and sign. "Newcastle want him, he must be f***ing class" :smug:

We should start making dummy bids for s*** players to f*** them all up. :troll:

Didn't we start that with a bid for Ruiz?

I reckon they'll all be at it soon man. We bring in a few more gems and next thing you know Liverpool, Spurs etc etc will be snapping up every player we try and sign. "Newcastle want him, he must be f***ing class" :smug:

We should start making dummy bids for s*** players to f*** them all up. :troll:

Didn't we start that with a bid for Ruiz?

Shit :lol: It has begun.

The thought that they would be after another striker after signing both Connor Wickham and Bendtner on loan is just too stupid to give the time of day ffs. Brewcies next signing will be at the DSS unfortunately.