L'Equipe: Modibo Maiga fails medical; transfer 'abandoned'

Optimistic Nut

They've not signed Gradel though... St Etienne have...

But they said if they signed Gradel theyh would let Maiga go...

Exactly... They (Sochaux) have not signed him... St Etienne have!

But Sochaux signed a striker yesterday.

No they didn't... He's apparently a midfielder...

Also a winger I think?

Definitely not a striker at least.

Guest WashyGeordie

The latest is Socheaux told us to f*** right off.

When was this? Can't flick through the pages to look

A last-ditch bid to rekindle a deal for Modibo Maiga from Sochaux was also reported on Wednesday night, only for the French to change their mind again and pull the plug.

Unconfirmed claims also did the rounds that there was a visa issue that complicated the Maiga transfer. Surely that's just someone making mischief and a club of our stature wouldn't be caught out by something like that.... oh hang on....

The latest is Socheaux told us to f*** right off.

When was this? Can't flick through the pages to look

A last-ditch bid to rekindle a deal for Modibo Maiga from Sochaux was also reported on Wednesday night, only for the French to change their mind again and pull the plug.

Unconfirmed claims also did the rounds that there was a visa issue that complicated the Maiga transfer. Surely that's just someone making mischief and a club of our stature wouldn't be caught out by something like that.... oh hang on....[/quote]

In a frame of mind to believe the worst, but that would fully explain the days events. I really thought we'd get this bloke signed - NUFC and the player were definitely there - and quotes from the Sochaux chairman suggeted he wasn't immovable.

If there was any accuracy in the afternoon / evening reports we were in a state of panic depsite having 7 months to set something up. Would not surprise me at all tbh

If we sign any striker in the whole world I will wank my cock off.

Fuck's sake.

Oh yes, I was fucking right, woo hoo, check me out!

Choke to death on my own tears as I try to sleep.

Maybe tapping players up, which obviously annoys the selling club, isn't the best way to go about things Mike? Especially when we go cap in hand to them at the 11th hour trying to do a deal. Just a thought? 

Maybe tapping players up, which obviously annoys the selling club, isn't the best way to go about things Mike? Especially when we go cap in hand to them at the 11th hour trying to do a deal. Just a thought? 

Every club does it man.

What would be good is if it wasn't such an arrogant, ham-fisted amateur doing the tapping up.

€9m bid for him on deadline day was rejected by Sochaux.

That's because they didn't want to sell. We'd have been better off chasing a target that was available like Ruiz rather than making fools of ourselves by bidding a few hours before the transfer window closed.

Guest Rainforest

I wonder though, why we leave such an important task to the very last day.

Is it a case of massive procrastination? Seems like - aside from replacing Barton, Nolan, Enrique etc with our summer signings - we had one major task this summer. Get a somewhat decent striker in. Leaving it to the last day reeks of indifference to me. We throw around a few ( underwhelming ) bids and hope to get lucky and grab a bargain, but we are not really that fuzzed.

I don't think Ashley is completely unwilling to spend money but the player has to be worth it, unfortuntely by worth it doesn't mean they will be a good player for us for years but more they will bring in more than we paid for them.

I don't think Ashley is completely unwilling to spend money but the player has to be worth it, unfortuntely by worth it doesn't mean they will be a good player for us for years but more they will bring in more than we paid for them.

Aye, like Gervinho & Gameiro. I've no doubt the money was there for them.

Mashley wants it both ways. 35m for Carroll but he'll not pay a premium in return. Unfortunately, goal scorers, even those running down a contract and wanting to leave, come at a price.

Given the surplus we've made in transfers it is scandalous that we haven't bought a Number 9. Think he'll have learnt his lesson come January?