L'Equipe: Modibo Maiga fails medical; transfer 'abandoned'

Optimistic Nut

Guest ovesbar

I don't think Ashley is completely unwilling to spend money but the player has to be worth it, unfortuntely by worth it doesn't mean they will be a good player for us for years but more they will bring in more than we paid for them.

You don't think there is there is a connection between the two?

I don't think Ashley is completely unwilling to spend money but the player has to be worth it, unfortuntely by worth it doesn't mean they will be a good player for us for years but more they will bring in more than we paid for them.

You don't think there is there is a connection between the two?

I think he'd have paid £10-12m happily for Gameiro or Gervinho, but I'm not sure he'd have went along with £8-10m for Maiga or Roux.

Guest Rainforest

Mashley wants it both ways. 35m for Carroll but he'll not pay a premium in return. Unfortunately, goal scorers, even those running down a contract and wanting to leave, come at a price.

Given the surplus we've made in transfers it is scandalous that we haven't bought a Number 9. Think he'll have learnt his lesson come January?

seems to be getting away with it judging from our first three results.

Wierd feeling really.

Guest Rainforest

I think our policy fits the bill for a much larger club, one where our mere interest goes some way of getting the deal through - like with Barca etc. As we stand I think we need a bit more momentum and willingness to spend in order to get the players over the line.

Hopefully we will manage to get another 20-odd points for christmas, that would be an excellent starting point for a new striker to come in and fire us into europe :)

I think our policy fits the bill for a much larger club, one where our mere interest goes some way of getting the deal through - like with Barca etc. As we stand I think we need a bit more momentum and willingness to spend in order to get the players over the line.

Hopefully we will manage to get another 20-odd points for christmas, that would be an excellent starting point for a new striker to come in and fire us into europe :)

Now i get why your called Rainforest, Optimistic Nut was taken.

Mashley wants it both ways. 35m for Carroll but he'll not pay a premium in return. Unfortunately, goal scorers, even those running down a contract and wanting to leave, come at a price.

Given the surplus we've made in transfers it is scandalous that we haven't bought a Number 9. Think he'll have learnt his lesson come January?

Carroll's not the example you're looking for. If there's any lesson there, it's don't let a club screw you for huge amounts of money on the last day of the transfer window, and end up with a player who struggles to make your first team.

Carroll's not the example you're looking for. If there's any lesson there, it's don't let a club screw you for huge amounts of money on the last day of the transfer window, and end up with a player who struggles to make your first team.

:lol: :lol:

And what's the excuse for the previous 100 days?

Well the lesson isn't specific to the last day of the transfer window.

My point was that the example of Carroll wouldn't encourage Ashley or anyone else to pay over the odds or pay what is now being called 'a premium', for a player you've targeted.

My point was that the example of Carroll wouldn't encourage Ashley or anyone else to pay over the odds or pay what is now being called 'a premium', for a player you've targeted.

Unfortunately the valuation of players we set in almost every case is stubbornly/optimistically low in the first place. So it's not the case of paying a premium.

The reason Carroll was eventually overvalued at £35 mill was because we the selling club supposedly didn't want to sell and Liverpool kept coming back. In all the deals we were interested in the clubs were willing to sell and had set a price but we wouldn't meet their comparatively fair valuation.

Unfortunately the valuation of players we set in almost every case is stubbornly/optimistically low in the first place. So it's not the case of paying a premium.

The reason Carroll was eventually overvalued at £35 mill was because we the selling club supposedly didn't want to sell and Liverpool kept coming back. In all the deals we were interested in the clubs were willing to sell and had set a price but we wouldn't meet their comparatively fair valuation.

Not 100% correct. In two of the cases (Erdnic and Gameiro) and we did meet their evaluation. But the players didn't want to leave France, or preferred Spain.

And I read that we were close to agreeing a deal for Maiga, but Souhoux refused to sell because they didn't find a replacement. Maybe they hit the same difficulties as us..?

He's apparently back in Mali for a few days to see family distraught that he didn't get his move.

The Socheaux president did say that it was possible that the move could happen in January. Despite what Llambias will try to spin, this could well have happened if we'd pursued it sooner and been a bit more flexible. Whether he comes here now I wouldn't like to say. January is a long way off and if he does well other clubs will start sniffing and the price might go up. If he does shit we'll probably try to get the price reduced and that will scupper the move. I wouldn't giv it too much thought at present.

It is a gamble for a player who just did well just 1-2 seasons in France.  Remember Gomis, hyped as the new Drogba?

How many proven strikers will you get for £8m and 40k a week?

None, according to the answer is on page 6 of The Michael Owen brochure.

It is a gamble for a player who just did well just 1-2 seasons in France.  Remember Gomis, hyped as the new Drogba?

How many proven strikers will you get for £8m and 40k a week?

Nah.  I am not against making such a gamble.  Just that if it turns out to be a failure, we shouldn't blame the club much for that. Obviously the club has more faith on Gameiro and Gervinho and thus willing to pay more than 10m.

Not 100% correct. In two of the cases (Erdnic and Gameiro) and we did meet their evaluation. But the players didn't want to leave France, or preferred Spain.

And I read that we were close to agreeing a deal for Maiga, but Souhoux refused to sell because they didn't find a replacement.Maybe they hit the same difficulties as us..?

I wonder if they had 7 months to find a striker like us ....

Aye we find absolutely no problems matching valuations nice and promptly for players who say they don't want to come here.

Funny that.

Sochaux chairman Alexandre Lacombe admits the club's situation with contract rebels Modibo Maiga and Kevin Anin has become "unmanageable."

Maiga tried to force a move to Newcastle in the closing stages of the summer transfer window and, as a result, has been ordered to play with the reserves by Lacombe.

Anin, meanwhile, has been probing for new terms on his current contract and has joined Maiga in the reserve set-up, with Lacombe reminding the players who is in charge.

"We are working with the ones who want to work," Lacombe told L'Equipe. "I told them what I had to say - that is enough - it has become unimaginable.

"Now it is just up to them to let me know when they will be ready to be serious and reliable."

Echoed

First team coach Mecha Bazdarevic echoed his chairman's stance, saying the pair must learn to 'respect the club' before they can be reinstated to the first team squad.

He said: "It has lasted two months now. We have been docile and tolerant enough. They must not do that, they have to respect the club; the group; the job.

"They have been put apart until it will be sorted out. It could last two or three days, we will see."

Maigi, though, insists his first-team exile does no favours to any party, claiming Lacombe is merely seeking revenge for the 23-year-olds's attempt to leave the club.

"I am not thinking about the summer anymore, I just want to play," he told L'Equipe.

"The chairman is the boss, but it is useless to keep me and treat me that way. I will go with the reserves and give my best, but I can't understand. Maybe he wants revenge."