L'Equipe: Modibo Maiga fails medical; transfer 'abandoned'

Optimistic Nut

Jonas could work in a midfield 3 ??? Think pardew would be bonkers to change to a formation without gutierrez

why? his main role in the team is carrying the ball up the pitch to relieve pressure and protecting a shit full back. a better full back solves one of those problems

You can't abandon signings that have been planned for ages because of a temporary injury crisis, that's no way to run a club. FWIW I still think we will sign a defender, we'd be mad not to.

it was a light hearted observation

Ian doesn't do light hearted.  :lol:

You can't abandon signings that have been planned for ages because of a temporary injury crisis, that's no way to run a club. FWIW I still think we will sign a defender, we'd be mad not to.

it was a light hearted observation

I know, I just wanted to point that out!

This is classic Newcastle United. Defensive crisis, 3 senior centre halves injured, 1 out for the season,main striker scoring freely and being backed up well by others. New centre forward signed before the window's even open.

Being backed up well by others? If Ba gets a serious injury our season is basically over. We are in the same boat as Arsenal.

This is classic Newcastle United. Defensive crisis, 3 senior centre halves injured, 1 out for the season,main striker scoring freely and being backed up well by others. New centre forward signed before the window's even open.

Being backed up well by others? If Ba gets a serious injury our season is basically over. We are in the same boat as Arsenal.

bit over the top i think, Best and Shola will get a few throughout the season. I'M NOT CRITICISING THE MAIGA SIGNING

Perhaps Pardew wants a flexible and more versatile squad that he can move about and rotate for specific matches, as well as cover injuries.

Na he must be thinking about selling Ben Arfa or summat...

I would to see a solid RB and an adventorous LB int he future to allow for more attacking fluidity while remaining defensively solid.

Krul

RB Taylor Colo LB

Tiote Cabaye

Ben Arfa Ba Gutierrez

Maiga

Give Ben Arfa a free role to roam off the wing, while having a RB that just defends to remain defensively solid and allow the LB to roam forward and Gutierrez remains very scrict in his role and does alot of defensive work.....

It's a all a fantasy tbh but its what id like to see.

I can still see Ridgewell coming in, given he can cover a few positions across the back four.

Would be a good signing as well.

The 'new' Aaron Hughes?

Very possibly....wouldn't mind Ridgewell signing for us either fwiw.

I would to see a solid RB and an adventorous LB int he future to allow for more attacking fluidity while remaining defensively solid.

Krul

RB Taylor Colo LB

Tiote Cabaye

Ben Arfa Ba Gutierrez

Maiga

Give Ben Arfa a free role to roam off the wing, while having a RB that just defends to remain defensively solid and allow the LB to roam forward and Gutierrez remains very scrict in his role and does alot of defensive work.....

It's a all a fantasy tbh but its what id like to see.

Why would you move our top scorer into midfield?

I have a feeling he wanted us to be geared up to play 4-3-3 (or 4-5-1 out of possession) before the season started but the failure to bring in Maiga probably curtailed that.

I felt at the time that he may play HBA and Maiga either side of Ba.