L'Equipe: Modibo Maiga fails medical; transfer 'abandoned'

Optimistic Nut

Guest teepee

He is bloody shitehouse. Inflated goal ratio because he gets very good service from the midfield.

*Very one footed (Left)

*Strong Physically

*Good speed and acceleration

*Clumsy finisher (unable to shoot off balance/make shots under pressure)

*Mediocre first touch

*Limited range of passing

*Link up potential minimal

*Decent ability to get in goalscoring positions

*Can win headers but not particularly a great header of the ball

*Has some ability to dribble past players

Just my opinion though...

you've seen much of him i suppose?

Sorry Shanyo, but your opinions paint a mixed picture, not that of a bloody shitehouse.

Perhaps the headline was a little harsh, but i did mean in it in the context of him being a shitehouse signing in the way he doesn't offer anything different to the strikers we have at the club already. I don't have much faith that he will even be a competent striker at this level, yet alone someone befitting a side trying to finish top 10

My Housemate is a bum who bets on football for a living who would watch 25 games plus a week with a particular interest in French football. It is just my opinion mind and he (If you care) thinks i'm being overly critical.

Guest teepee

Sorry Shanyo, but your opinions paint a mixed picture, not that of a bloody shitehouse.

Perhaps the headline was a little harsh, but i did mean in it in the context of him being a shitehouse signing in the way he doesn't offer anything different to the strikers we have at the club already. I don't have much faith that he will even be a competent striker at this level, yet alone someone befitting a side trying to finish top 10

My Housemate is a bum who bets on football for a living who would watch 25 games plus a week with a particular interest in French football. It is just my opinion mind and he (If you care) thinks i'm being overly critical.

I was just curious how anyone could have seen much of him - you've convinced me ;-)

from what i read i am also not overly enthusiastic - but we'll see...

What I find strange about these kind of supposed bids like Erdinc is that they're not high enough to get someone we can be reasonably confident will be a success (say £10-15m), but they're not exactly low enough to constitute an acceptable gamble should they fail (£2-4m). It's like the club can't make their minds up whether to go all out or not and what they want to spend, so we're stuck with hanging our hopes on this mid-range.

Of course price isn't the perfect indicator of quality or potential - we know that more than anyone - but 90% of the time it's about right.

What I find strange about these kind of supposed bids is that they're not high enough to get someone we can be reasonably confident will be a success (say £10-15m), but they're not exactly low enough to constitute an acceptable gamble should they fail (£2-4m). It's like they can't make their mind up whether to go all out or not and what they want to spend, so we're stuck with hanging our hopes on this mid-range.

Of course price isn't the perfect indicator of quality or potential - we know that more than anyone - but 90% of the time it's about right.

Seems to me that we have about 7m earmarked for a striker, know that cannot get us the quality we are looking for in the domestic market and so are attempting to use our scouts to unearth a bargain from France.

What I find strange about these kind of supposed bids is that they're not high enough to get someone we can be reasonably confident will be a success (say £10-15m), but they're not exactly low enough to constitute an acceptable gamble should they fail (£2-4m). It's like they can't make their mind up whether to go all out or not and what they want to spend, so we're stuck with hanging our hopes on this mid-range.

I wouldn't be too concerned if these players have been scouted properly and we know what we are getting. I'm not too confident that's the case though. It smacks a bit of opportunist gambling and hoping one will come off. Just read Shayno's assessment of the player and it makes you wonder what are we doing? I sincerely hope he knows fuck all about the game and it's just another fan who thinks he's an armchair expert (no offence Shayno!)

All we need from him is to be mobile and get into goalscoring positions and to obviously be able to finish some of them (15 last season goals says he can). Shayno despite not rating him much, says this is the case. We've got the makings of a very creative midfield who can supply even the most average of strikers, like I said, we just need someone who'll make necessary movement.

I wouldn't be too concerned if these players have been scouted properly and we know what we are getting. I'm not too confident that's the case though. It smacks a bit of opportunist gambling and hoping one will come off. Just read Shayno's assessment of the player and it makes you wonder what are we doing? I sincerely hope he knows fuck all about the game and it's just another fan who thinks he's an armchair expert (no offence Shayno!)

Oh I'm not complaining, don't get me wrong. It's just an observation.

If as you say we're confident through scouting that any such player will make the transition then great. I just find it all a bit mixed up, £7m is a hell of a lot of money for this board to spend if a player like this Maiga with one good season and seemingly questionable attitude fails to score goals in a superior league.

I don't want to be seen as someone who thinks they are a prophet or anything, i've been wrong about many players before! Shitehouse as an overall description of the player was over the top, it was just my immediate reaction to the news we are looking like signing him. The dot-points i've raised are my honest, rational opinion though. I'll still be giving him a chance like I do with every new signing  :razz:

I wouldn't be too concerned if these players have been scouted properly and we know what we are getting. I'm not too confident that's the case though. It smacks a bit of opportunist gambling and hoping one will come off. Just read Shayno's assessment of the player and it makes you wonder what are we doing? I sincerely hope he knows f*** all about the game and it's just another fan who thinks he's an armchair expert (no offence Shayno!)

If as you say we're confident through scouting that any such player will make the transition then great. I just find it all a bit mixed up, £7m is a hell of a lot of money for this board to spend if a player like this Maiga with one good season and seemingly questionable attitude fails to score goals in a superior league.

They're so inflexible though - that if they have a certain budget they'll stick to it - even if it means taking a bigger gambling or missing out on a key target for the sake of a couple of milion extra. 

He is bloody shitehouse. Inflated goal ratio because he gets very good service from the midfield.

*Very one footed (Left)

*Strong Physically

*Good speed and acceleration

*Clumsy finisher (unable to shoot off balance/make shots under pressure)

*Mediocre first touch

*Limited range of passing

*Link up potential minimal

*Decent ability to get in goalscoring positions

*Can win headers but not particularly a great header of the ball

*Has some ability to dribble past players

Just my opinion though...

Doesnt fill me with confidence.

Were re-signing Ofabemi Martins?

Seems to me the board have quite a lot of confidence in their scouts in France because these bids might not be massive in premier terms but they aren't money we can afford to chuck down the drain either. I might be wrong in this but I also feel they are players who are being brought in and Pardew has to work with them whether he knows them or not. That's a plus in my book as I doubt his knowledge of European players is that extensive.

£7million could have got us Shane Long, which would probably have been a safer bet.

Bingo. While it's early days, I have to say I liked the look of him yesterday against Man U. He did look a good prospect on YT as well and I was all for signing him based on that.