Rob Elliot (now at Gateshead)

EthiGeordie

I just don't think we're very confident in Harper or Soderberg.

Not to be confident in Soderberg is one thing.

Not to be confident in Harper is stupid. It's not like that he's sitting in a wheelchair all of a sudden.

Where's all this negativity coming from concerning Harper?  He's still a decent keeper.  Teams would be lucky to have someone of his ilk on their bench.

Yeah.... like England for example.

We have been spoiled for so long with having 'keepers like Given and Harper that many don't realise how good we have it on the 'keeper front.

Where's all this negativity coming from concerning Harper?  He's still a decent keeper.  Teams would be lucky to have someone of his ilk on their bench.

Yeah.... like England for example.

We have been spoiled for so long with having 'keepers like Given and Harper that many don't realise how good we have it on the 'keeper front.

People could be in for a shock with Krul if they're hanging their hat on him as well.  The amount of times he failed to come out for the ball when the ball was crossed in on Saturday was very alarming and he needs to sort that out for a start.  I rate him but it's not like he's forced his way into the team in the usual way and kept his place, and I'd far rather we had a steady guy like Harper waiting in the wings to cover for loss of form, injuries and suspensions to Krul.

And to be honest, after the initial laughter last night that's why I was getting a bit fucked off with this signing - if it means that Elliott becomes second choice.  Because we've at least 2 positions that are woefully short of cover and here we are weakening another.

Let's hope Harper stays and there's nothing to be angry about.

I'm assuming you've never seen the guy play, so you don't actually know whether we're weakening the position.

You assume correctly, but Harper's performances over the last 2 seasons haven't been as bad as made out on here at all.  He's a half decent Premier League goalkeeper and signing a League 1 keeper to replace him is another massive risk at the very least.  Bet he's much cheaper though, swings and roundabouts.

As I say I just hope we keep Harper.

100% convinced this is Forster out Elliot in.  Harper 2nd choice, Elliot 3rd.

Harper possibly retires at the end of next season and Elliot picks up the slack.  Means we should have 2 goalkeepers at the start of next season, even if Forster or Krul move on.

Good move.

100% convinced this is Forster out Elliot in.  Harper 2nd choice, Elliot 3rd.

Harper possibly retires at the end of next season and Elliot picks up the slack.  Means we should have 2 goalkeepers at the start of next season, even if Forster or Krul move on.

Good move.

If that's the case then happy days, fair enough.

He wont have to be particularly strong to be better than Harper.

:lol: Wow, I really don't think Harper's been that bad at all and this other guy's never even played in the Premier League.

He's slow to react, his distribution is piss poor, plus he has such a lack of urgency when he receives the ball. Especially if we're looking to play a "pass and move game" this season, that's a big hindrance. As the amount of times he takes forever to get rid of the ball really irks me, then he just boots it long anyway.

I also hate it when he takes a goal kick and he does that thing whereby he looks like he's just taken a blow to the stomach.

:lol: Wow, I really don't think Harper's been that bad at all and this other guy's never even played in the Premier League.

He's slow to react, his distribution is piss poor, plus he has such a lack of urgency when he receives the ball. Especially if we're looking to play a "pass and move game" this season, that's a big hindrance. As the amount of times he takes forever to get rid of the ball really irks me, then he just boots it long anyway.

I also hate it when he takes a goal kick and he does that thing whereby he looks like he's just taken a blow to the stomach.

Fair points, particularly about him taking forever to get rid of the ball which also gets on my tits, but he's easily an adequate back-up imo.  Having someone with his experience to come in if needed is a big plus.  Having Elliott as second choice is another one of these risks that could blow up in our faces.

Fair points, particularly about him taking forever to get rid of the ball which also gets on my tits, but he's easily an adequate back-up imo.  Having someone with his experience to come in if needed is a big plus.  Having Elliott as second choice is another one of these risks that could blow up in our faces.

Totally agree with you on that point. I just don't particularly rate him.

Just realised before, I have seen him play. I went to Rochdale-Charlton last season and stood on the terrace behind his goal. The Dale fans kept giving him pelters but he was just laughing it off. His kicking wasnt great and Rochdale won 2-0.

Guest Recoba

Remember being at Anfield when his poor positioning allowed Alonso to.score from his own half.

Only ever thought he looked good in the championship.

To be fair though I think his.similarity in build and stature to Given made it hard to look good.  Appeared like a slower, shitter Shay.

On one hand loyal etc. On the other an even luckier version of Jamie Mcclen.