Rob Elliot (now at Gateshead)

EthiGeordie

Is Harper better than Szczesny, Given, Robinson, Jaaskelainen, Cech, Howard, Schwarzer, Reina, Hart, de Gea, Begovic, Gordon, Vorm, Friedel, Foster, Al Habsi or Hennessy?

Imo, he's not, he might be on a par with Ruddy & Kenny but can't see them moving for him because it's not a significant upgrade.

Not sure any of the top Championship clubs need him (West Ham perhaps if Green goes?), and even the Old Firm don't need him with McGregor & Forster now up there.

:lol: I just don't understand this at all. I can't wrap my head around it. We need a left back and a striker before the derby... I know, lets sign a goalie.

I'm not even p*ssed off any more, I'm just laughing at it all now.  :lol:

It's not like signing Elliot will suddenly wipe out our interest in other players you know.

But it is like signing Elliot could waste valuable time, the one thing we certainly don't have in abundance before the next game, which I don't know if you've noticed is a rather important one. Surely this could have waited till after the derby, with all our efforts focused on bringing in the all-important left back and striker that we absolutely need before the match?

Not sure it wastes any time. It's not impossible to negotiate on multiple deals at one time.

:lol: this is probably the worst of all the complaints "but signing him is wasting time on our other targets"

If Harper leaves I don't mind Elliot coming in as cheap backup to Krul while Forster goes out on loan again.

Harper has to leave for this to make any sense for me like.

just wish he would retire..no offence,,love this guy who's been a true professional at the club.. but I don't want to see him playing for another club. Retire and take up some coaching role at the club with a testimonial at the end of the season..

If Harper leaves I don't mind Elliot coming in as cheap backup to Krul while Forster goes out on loan again.

Harper leaving would make me question this deal even more.

If Krul gets injured or his confidence dips due to a bad run of form who do we turn to?

Rob Elliot from Charlton? Hardly the safe pairs of hands, an experienced head is he?

If Krul gets injured or his confidence dips due to a bad run of form who do we turn to?

Rob Elliot from Charlton? Hardly the safe pairs of hands, an experienced head is he?

Agree with this. I'm happy as a replacement for Forster this season, but if it's because Harper's off too...we're very short there.

Agree with this. I'm happy as a replacement for Forster this season, but if it's because Harper's off too...we're very short there.

Fuck me Nut. Someone has stolen your log in details.

Quick, they'll be calling Pardew a cunt soon.  O0

Harper got paid a mint for being second choice keeper under Robson.

From speaking to Harper when he was playing under Robson (or not) he was told the club were not willing to let him leave not even on loan. At the time Portsmouth wanted him for first team.

From speaking to Harper when he was playing under Robson (or not) he was told the club were not willing to let him leave not even on loan. At the time Portsmouth wanted him for first team.

I remember reading in Bobby's book they paid him a lot more than his ability and squad status should have done to appease him being cover for Given.

I remember reading in Bobby's book they paid him a lot more than his ability and squad status should have done to appease him being cover for Given.

Doesn't mean he wanted to stay and sit on the bench though, he wanted to go on loan.

Why would we agree to that when we offered him a big contract on the basis he was our number 2? Not Portsmouth's keeper or whoever.

Keep a player fresh in case he needed to be called upon with a clause in the loan to allow him to return if need be. Anyone pointless conversation for something which happened when we were once good.

Do Premier club-to-club loans have these clauses you mention? Can't think of any, other than Steve Caldwell back to us for the last day of the 03-04 season and that was mainly down to the fact we were desperate and Leeds were already down that they agreed to give him back.

Do Premier club-to-club loans have these clauses you mention? Can't think of any, other than Steve Caldwell back to us for the last day of the 03-04 season and that was mainly down to the fact we were desperate and Leeds were already down that they agreed to give him back.

There were no rules to stop them back then so they could yes as you have just shown with your example.

A Player on long term loan may not be recalled except for a goalkeeper or where the Player

is to be transferred permanently by the Club holding his registered contract. A Player other

than a goalkeeper so recalled cannot be permitted to play for the Club holding his

registration after such recall until the end of the Season.

http://thefa.com/TheFA/RulesandRegulations/~/media/Files/PDF/TheFA/FA%20Handbook%2009%2010/FA_Handbook_Full_Proof_NO_CROP.ashx/FA_Handbook_Full_Proof_NO_CROP.pdf

That was because of the last game of the season thing though and Leeds being down.

I could just imagine Portsmouth being happy if they signed Harper on a season-long loan deal to sign him as their number 1, Given getting injured, and us recalling Harper leaving them screwed. Sure there's rules against that.

I can't get annoyed at the news of this signing, as I doubt it takes away anything from the pursuit (stop laughing) of a left back or striker and may actually turn out to be decent signing(remember when Alan 'wide of the mark Oliver' stated Valencia would be laughing all the way to the bank regarding Enrique?). Besides, there are far more salient reasons to snipe at this regime that the acquisition of a potentially 3rd choice goalie.

Guest BlacknWhiteArmy

This must mean we have completely decided we are fine and no longer require those two players.

For real? :lol:

:facepalm: