The Steve Bruce Appreciation thread

Guest Howaythetoon

Could have hours of fun with this thread come next May.

What are your thoughts on Bruce as a whole? Do you not think he's cracking up a bit with his comments post-Newcastle and post-Brighton?

I'm not a Bruce fan, never have been and if you are really bored go back and look through the Sunderland thread and you will find I wanted him sacked from about March onwards.

I'm amazed he is still here but their you go, that's Quinn for you, too loyal and Bruce will never be sacked by Quinn so I can just hope he walks, however with the contract he has, that will not happen.

At any other club in the country Bruce would have been long gone, 9 defeats in last 11 home games, 11 points from last 16 games, 7 home points since January, it's shocking stats but like I say, he will never be sacked by Quinn, just have to grin and bare it.

He will just buy his way out of the mess we are in, probably end up mid-table again and everyone will think it's all rosy, then just repeat season after season.

These views do not surprise me at all. Do you all not think this about Bruce?

He should be long gone IMO.

Nope, a lot of people still think the sun shines out of Bruce's a***, all pointing out the "3rd best finish in 50 years". In hindsight us finishing 10th is the worst thing that could have happened, we could easily have finished 12/13th on that last day and while you lot will snigger, finishing above Newcastle was a big thing in a lot of peoples minds.

Put it this way, I guarantee if Newcastle had lost 9 out of the last 11 home games your manager would have been hounded out by now, Quinn is too soft and maybe the fans are too, just accepting mediocrity.

The 3rd best finish in 50 years thing is stupid because you've spent a lot more in recent years relative to other clubs than at any other time in your history, so it is to be expected.

I think he is a complete charlatan. Tactically inept, square pegs in round holes, still not having natural left sided players despite funds to have a complete squad, forces players back from injuries too early, doesn't strike me as being a good motivator at all etc etc. He's done ok with some of his bigger purchases and also with sales, but it begs the question is he the one doing the negotiations and deciding who to buy? It doesn't matter how good your owner is, or how good the facilities are, or how much is being invested when ultimately the final decisions and management of the team falls with him.

For what it's worth I think Keane was even worse.

Could have hours of fun with this thread come next May.

What are your thoughts on Bruce as a whole? Do you not think he's cracking up a bit with his comments post-Newcastle and post-Brighton?

I'm not a Bruce fan, never have been and if you are really bored go back and look through the Sunderland thread and you will find I wanted him sacked from about March onwards.

I'm amazed he is still here but their you go, that's Quinn for you, too loyal and Bruce will never be sacked by Quinn so I can just hope he walks, however with the contract he has, that will not happen.

At any other club in the country Bruce would have been long gone, 9 defeats in last 11 home games, 11 points from last 16 games, 7 home points since January, it's shocking stats but like I say, he will never be sacked by Quinn, just have to grin and bare it.

He will just buy his way out of the mess we are in, probably end up mid-table again and everyone will think it's all rosy, then just repeat season after season.

These views do not surprise me at all. Do you all not think this about Bruce?

He should be long gone IMO.

Nope, a lot of people still think the sun shines out of Bruce's a***, all pointing out the "3rd best finish in 50 years". In hindsight us finishing 10th is the worst thing that could have happened, we could easily have finished 12/13th on that last day and while you lot will snigger, finishing above Newcastle was a big thing in a lot of peoples minds.

Put it this way, I guarantee if Newcastle had lost 9 out of the last 11 home games your manager would have been hounded out by now, Quinn is too soft and maybe the fans are too, just accepting mediocrity.

It's one of the reasons I don't mind having cockney cunts in charge of our football club. At least they won't make daft decisions based on emotion. Like hiring a Geordie pleb on the basis we might want him in the first place.

Guest Wearside

I still think his signings are ok to be honest. Better than Keane's at least, but he just can't motivate.

He is tactically clueless, can't motivate and should have gone a long time ago. Someone like O'Neill or Moyes would have us top half comfortably with the squad of players we have.

If there's one thing Wearside has nailed, it's that any manager with a home record as poor as Bruce's would have been hounded out of NUFC, and a lot of other clubs too, absolutely ages ago. I really think Bruce lives on his Birmingham days, which still weren't that successful when you study it.

It's worth noting that Fat Fred Shepherd actively pursued Steve Bruce on account of his being a Geordie before turning to the expertise of Graeme Souness. I don't expect UV or any of the Shepherd sympathisers to pop up in this thread any time soon but worth considering in any case.

Guest Wearside

It's worth noting that Fat Fred Shepherd actively pursued Steve Bruce on account of his being a Geordie before turning to the expertise of Graeme Souness. I don't expect UV or any of the Shepherd sympathisers to pop up in this thread any time soon but worth considering in any case.

Bruce turned you down didn't he? Fairly sure I remember reading about Bruce's son Alex, saying how he would regret doing that and he should have took the job.

Bruce turned you down didn't he? Fairly sure I remember reading about Bruce's son Alex, saying how he would regret doing that and he should have took the job.

Bruce turned Shepherd down yes. I can remember arguing with NE5 and others on this site that Bruce, despite being a Geordie was as thick as pig shit. Enjoy your choice of management for the next two years.

Guest Heneage

He did indeed which got people questioning this persona of 'Geordie manager'. If your hometown club came in for you you'd think he'd have jumped at it.

Feel sorry for the guy, you can call him a lesbian and take the p*ss out of his deflatable face but he's a decent enough guy. Much prefer him as a character over Kean, Allardyce, Dalglish, Martinez, Pulis

f*** off is he.  He's a potato headed w***** who's dying to get one over on us.

Choosing songs and celebrations weeks in advance.  Longing for the day he can rejoice with them inbred c***s in celebration of beating the team whose shadow they'll forever be in.

I just see that as a desperate attempt to ingratiate himself with the S'land supporters. He knows that they instinctively hate him so he has to play up all that shit.

Feel sorry for the guy, you can call him a lesbian and take the p*ss out of his deflatable face but he's a decent enough guy. Much prefer him as a character over Kean, Allardyce, Dalglish, Martinez, Pulis

f*** off is he.  He's a potato headed w***** who's dying to get one over on us.

Choosing songs and celebrations weeks in advance.  Longing for the day he can rejoice with them inbred c***s in celebration of beating the team whose shadow they'll forever be in.

I just see that as a desperate attempt to ingratiate himself with the S'land supporters. He knows that they instinctively hate him so he has to play up all that s***.

Nah man, he's a fat manc m*ckem c*** who knows he has always been hated by true Geordies.  He really is desperate to get one over on us seeing as we have serially embarrased the unwashed.

I see Bruce is putting the sunderland crisis down to the way north east fans blow things out of proportion.

Obviously losing 9 out of 11 home games and displaying rank relegation form since January would be deemed acceptable and hardly raise an eyebrow in other parts of the country.

Bruce turned Shepherd down yes. I can remember arguing with NE5 and others on this site that Bruce, despite being a Geordie was as thick as pig shit. Enjoy your choice of management for the next two years.

Was that just after Souness was peddled?  Even then he wasn't welcomed and the mention of his name caused widespread  :frantic: :frantic:

My opinion of Steve Bruces management career has always been that he is the footballing equivalent of Dr Sam Beckett - 'Steve Bruce leaps from manager job to manager job, desperately trying to put right what he's done wrong, hoping that the next leap will be the leap home (to Manchester United).'

When will this muppet stop talking about the derby game , every tv interview since our intrepid victory over the soap dodgers he has yelped on with his " we could have easily beaten Newcastle"

Move on Brucie and get a life - or am I the only one who has noticed this?

• 2 weeks later...