The Steve Bruce Appreciation thread

Guest Howaythetoon

Yeah, I miss them too :lol:

Found this corker though:

'I believe that, when we lost against Newcastle, that was when it started and I haven't been able to quell the fire because the results haven't been there for us,' he said. 'All of a sudden last year (when Newcastle took four points from their two league games) is regurgitated but we must have done something right because we finished tenth.

'We finished above Newcastle. Judge us by the end of it (this season). Let's see when their bad run comes. That doesn't faze me at all because they've had a good start – good luck to them. But to be judged solely against Newcastle? Hang on a minute – we've finished above them in the last three years.

'Is it just to be judged on finishing above Newcastle? Well, I'm sorry. There's a bigger picture than that. Unfortunately – if we keep thinking that way, then whoever is manager here – or at Newcastle – they will find the same difficulties.

'It is out of proportion here. It's because the support for the clubs is second to none. They haven't won anything for years but they still support their team which is absolutely admirable. And that's why I came here. Can I be the one who gives them something to sing about? At the moment I can't. Surely we've got to be better than just finishing above Newcastle for the bragging rights. Surely the aim has to be to go forward and win an FA Cup. Who knows – it might be our year? We're capable of winning five or six games.

Yeah, I miss them too :lol:

Found this corker though:

'I believe that, when we lost against Newcastle, that was when it started and I haven't been able to quell the fire because the results haven't been there for us,' he said. 'All of a sudden last year (when Newcastle took four points from their two league games) is regurgitated but we must have done something right because we finished tenth.

'We finished above Newcastle. Judge us by the end of it (this season). Let's see when their bad run comes. That doesn't faze me at all because they've had a good start – good luck to them. But to be judged solely against Newcastle? Hang on a minute – we've finished above them in the last three years.

'Is it just to be judged on finishing above Newcastle? Well, I'm sorry. There's a bigger picture than that. Unfortunately – if we keep thinking that way, then whoever is manager here – or at Newcastle – they will find the same difficulties.

'It is out of proportion here. It's because the support for the clubs is second to none. They haven't won anything for years but they still support their team which is absolutely admirable. And that's why I came here. Can I be the one who gives them something to sing about? At the moment I can't. Surely we've got to be better than just finishing above Newcastle for the bragging rights. Surely the aim has to be to go forward and win an FA Cup. Who knows – it might be our year? We're capable of winning five or six games.

Let's just emphasise the point.