Joey Barton's Replacement

aussiemag

Barton being replaced by anyone would be bad news for one forum member.

There's an argument to be made that Obertan replaced Barton pre-emptively, you know...

I have to agree with you there. That really is firm, solid replacing right there.

I don't think Obertan replaced Barton directly but he's in the mix.  If have have money/wages spare after Barton's gone (which I doubt), we'd be better off signing a RB of Pieters reputation/standard to give a bit of balance to the team.  We were fairly well stocked for midfielders anyway (assuming Pardew is happy with Jonas or Marveaux on the right.

:lol:

As people have said, would now like to see Vuk step up. Now is as good a time as any, especially if we're going with a 433. About time we started bringing some youngsters through. In the last 3 years I can only really think of Carroll who was given an opportunity.

:lol:

As people have said, would now like to see Vuk step up. Now is as good a time as any, especially if we're going with a 433. About time we started bringing some youngsters through. In the last 3 years I can only really think of Carroll who was given an opportunity.

Krul as well now.

So we shouldn't buy a right winger just because he will push lesser players down the pecking order? What absurd logic.

You think we'd sign better do you? We've only just signed two of them to start with.

We if we don't sign better then he won't be pushing players down the pecking order?

So we shouldn't buy a right winger just because he will push lesser players down the pecking order? What absurd logic.

You think we'd sign better do you? We've only just signed two of them to start with.

We if we don't sign better then he won't be pushing players down the pecking order?

....therefore surely we don't need a new replacement?

I would prefer a better right winger than Gabby Obertan like, if we were willing to bring one in. Especialy considering we've just gave a better player away for free.

Buying a "replacement" now for Barton would just push the likes of Marveaux, Obertan, Gosling & Vuckic further down the pecking order.

If this happened, how would it be bad for the club? Especialy considering the latter 2 are central midfielders.

I would prefer a better right winger than Gabby Obertan like, if we were willing to bring one in. Especialy considering we've just gave a better player away for free.

Buying a "replacement" now for Barton would just push the likes of Marveaux, Obertan, Gosling & Vuckic further down the pecking order.

If this happened, how would it be bad for the club? Especialy considering the latter 2 are central midfielders.

There's far bigger priorities. Left-back, striker, right-back & centre-back need strengthened before we worry about Barton.

Aye fair enough, theres no reason we couldn't fill all of our gaps though if we wern't so inept and actualy willing to put our incomings back into the squad (that's another argument though that has been done to death).

All i'm saying is I would be happy if we brought in a genuine quality right winger (with a good right foot), and certainly wpuldn't be worried if he performed well enough to keep other players out of the side.

There's far bigger priorities. Left-back, striker, right-back & centre-back need strengthened before we worry about Barton.

Priority for me is:

Left-back

'4th choice' centre-back (so either an experienced veteran or someone with lots of potential who can larn from Colo)

Right-back (if the 'promising' centre back can play here too, then I'd be happy with that for now)

Striker - someone top quality (not going to happen) or another youngster with potential. Ba/Best/Shola are  passable Premiership strikers, would like to have someone who is a cut above, or has the potential to get there (re-sale value or not)

Aye fair enough, theres no reason we couldn't fill all of our gaps though if we wern't so inept and actualy willing to put our incomings back into the squad (that's another argument though that has been done to death).

All i'm saying is I would be happy if we brought in a genuine quality right winger (with a good right foot), and certainly wpuldn't be worried if he performed well enough to keep other players out of the side.

Course not but I'm not that fussed at the moment as we have a lot of depth in there. The other 4 positions however...

Dont need a outright replacement if we go 4-3-3, Tiote, Cabaye and Marveaux in the middle backed up by Gosling, Haris, Abeid, Guthrie, then you have a striker hopefully a new one flanked by 2 of Obetan, Jonas, Arfa, Ba, Sammy and Best moving around rotating positions.

If we do go 4-3-3 and if hell freezes over and a replacement is to be signed, i would hope its more of a central midfielder.

That's how I think we'll go in personnel but maybe we'll switch to two midfielders sitting in with Tiote and Cabaye suited to that and Marveaux playing wide right.

Well it took Barton 3 years to do anything of note, Gosling still has about 2 years head start on him.

We wouldn't be replacing Barton of 3 years ago so your post is flawed.

desperately need a replacement now.

IMO we have 3 attackers for 3 attacking positions out wide and behind the striker - Jonas, Marveaux and Ben Arfa. One of these is someone who, while important, we've wanted to upgrade on for a while. One has similar injuries to what Dyer had a few years back, and the other has been out for a year and it would be foolish to rely on him for the next 6 months or so. They're all naturally left sided, too. Obertan isn't particularly good and should be considered the back-up player he is. We were looking to bring someone in while he was here so now that Barton's left it's a good opportunity to go back in for N'Zogbia. Ooops!

So we need to bring in at least one other player to challenge this mix. Absolutely a priority signing. The transfer window will live or die on the 3 signings we now need to make as a bare minimum.