Davide Santon (now retired)

Guest taps01

Having thought about this it seems a tad daft.

As we have started ok, Ryan Taylor is making do and we have an easier run of games coming up, surely the wise move would be to sort out the scar tissue now and welcome him back fully fit in 6 - 8 weeks.

Knowing our luck we will get a game or three out of him and then do this.

As we have started ok, Ryan Taylor is making do and we have an easier run of games coming up, surely the wise move would be to sort out the scar tissue now and welcome him back fully fit in 6 - 8 weeks.

We shouldn't have Raylor at left back for any longer than we need to.

We shouldn't have Raylor at left back for any longer than we need to.

Agreed, but I would rather he was there against Blackburn, Wigan and Stoke than against Man U, Man C and Chelsea.

Thought Pardew said all along if draining it doesn't work, then he will have to have minor surgery to remove some scar tissue, but not cartilage? 

In fact he did, here you go:

"He’s had fluid taken from his knee and we think, fingers crossed, that will be OK - maybe he’ll be available for next weekend.

"If that doesn’t cure the problem we think he’ll probably have an operation in there where we just go in and tidy it up. It’s not a cartilage, just a little bit of scar tissue."

The prognosis is still a lot better than the original AP quotes from Friday.  Most were worrying that he would be out for about 2-3 months, doesn't sound like that's the case.

:thup:

All in all better news than expected really.....

"It is disappointing, more so for him than me, because the team is functioning well and at this moment he wouldn't be in the team anyway," said the boss.

:crazy2:

Did he actually say that? fucking hell :lol:

Just seen it on SSN, and he's deadly serious. I can understand him saying something like 'the team is functioning well and at this moment it would be difficult to break that up' or something similarly non-committal, but the way he says it is simply that he rates Ryan Taylor higher, at least for now. ???

Again why the hell would he say "Taylor's not really a left back and Santon's the shizzle" when it's obvious that Taylor will have to start the next few? Also it's putting unnecessary pressure on Santon, he may well be a very good player but he is still young and has suffered with confidence issues in the past. See no problem with easing him in when he's fit.

No need to go overboard. Seems a pretty standard, 'we're doing well so no player is just going to walk into the team' spiel.

On past form, Pardew is pretty good at switching out senior players like Shola, Smith etc while publicly backing them.

Generally Pardew has usually persisted with failing players until results dictate changes have to be made. I imagine the same will happen here. Taylor will keep his place until he has a blindingly shite game and Santon will get the nod. Then we'll see just what we have been missing if Pardew just had some vision.

No need to go overboard. Seems a pretty standard, 'we're doing well so no player is just going to walk into the team' spiel.

On past form, Pardew is pretty good at switching out senior players like Shola, Smith etc while publicly backing them.

Generally Pardew has usually persisted with failing players until results dictate changes have to be made. I imagine the same will happen here. Taylor will keep his place until he has a blindingly s**** game  and Santon will get the nod. Then we'll see just what we have been missing if Pardew just had some vision.

The trouble is Taylor already had that "blindingly s**** game" against QPR and if he Pardew can't see that, then he's not even of championship standard

Again why the hell would he say "Taylor's not really a left back and Santon's the shizzle" when it's obvious that Taylor will have to start the next few? Also it's putting unnecessary pressure on Santon, he may well be a very good player but he is still young and has suffered with confidence issues in the past. See no problem with easing him in when he's fit.

Why the hell would anyone expect or want him to say that? :idiot2: Nice straw man though.

I simply find it a strange comment to make, considering the fanfare made when we signed him and he's the only left back we have on the books. He was brought in so we wouldn't have to put Ryan Taylor there. Pardew clearly says that even if he was fit he would not (not might not) be in the team ahead of Taylor - don't you find that a bit of a weird thing to say?

Why the hell would anyone expect or want him to say that? :idiot2: Nice straw man though.

I simply find it a strange comment to make, considering the fanfare made when we signed him and he's the only left back we have on the books. He was brought in so we wouldn't have to put Ryan Taylor there. Pardew clearly says that even if he was fit he would not (not might not) be in the team ahead of Taylor - don't you find that a bit of a weird thing to say?

I don't. It'd be a kick in the balls to Taylor if he said Santon was to walk straight in.

I also find it a pretty funny notion that Taylor is so mentally instable he might suddenly play like shite (er...) if he finds out Pardew would rather play our actual left back instead of him. I know he looks thick but come on. :lol: