Davide Santon (now retired)

Guest taps01

Has to be given a run at RB

:nods:

He seems a bit insecure defensively at times, and is too often out of position, but showed a glimpse of quality when he was on the right for a few seconds yesterday and drove past a couple players before putting a dangerous ball into the box. Would like to see more of the same.

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/newcastle-united/nufc-news/2012/03/20/alan-pardew-hails-davide-santon-s-mental-strength-72703-30576731/

ALAN PARDEW has hailed the “mental strength” of Davide Santon after dropping the Italian from his first-team line-up.

The Italian’s dip in form resulted in the Newcastle manager axing his former Inter Milan ace – before Ryan Taylor’s injury withdrawal forced him to call Santon back into the firing line.

Santon was overlooked at the expense of Jonas Gutierrez for the 1-0 win over Norwich, but came on to help secure three important points.

Now he must wait to see if he has done enough to stay in the side for Sunday’s trip to West Brom.

And explaining why Santon lost his place in the team, Pardew told the Chronicle: “I was going to leave Davide Santon out against Arsenal – Ryan Taylor was going to play.

“At the last minute, I’ve had to turn to him and put him in the team.

“That takes a lot of character to play that night.”

And after seeing Santon come off the bench to put in a solid display against Norwich, Pardew added: “I was really pleased for Davide. He had to come off the bench after being left out.

“I think his form’s suffered a little bit, but he sealed us up at the end, and I was pleased with that.”

And Pardew feels that mental toughness picked up from his Inter days is now beginning to pay off.

“Mental strength is a massive thing in the Premier League,” he added.

“He’s only a young boy. He’s an Under-21 Italian player, and you don’t become one of those without talent.

“He’ll learn, and it will have done him good.”

:joey:

Guest michaelfoster

Can understand why he's been dropped, as he has been poor recently, still settling into a new country & language is probably still an issue for him so its hard to communicate with the rest of the defence when they all speak English and he doesn't yet.

Guest Haris Vuckic

I must be blinkered by his attacking play or good looking face because I don' think he's been that bad.

Seems to me that Santon is being made the scapegoat for our failure in other areas of the pitch. I'm sure in a team where we have so few defenders comfortbale on the ball there must be a way to accommodate one of the few good ones we have here.

We'll see him at RB next season. :)

Yep sounds like the plan......  Santon at RB, Simpson out and someone brought in at LB.

I dont necessarily want Simpson out, just relegated to the bench but it does seem like this is what we will see happen.

Don't think hes near as suspect defensively as some people make him out to be. Not as strong as Enrique was but he's certainly not a weak link in our back four (I think we all know who that is) and is excellent bombing forward with Jonas.

Guest neesy111

Drop Santon for poor form, but Simpson has stayed in the team all season ???

THE STATS PROVE OTHERWISE!!!!! ;)

I don't particularly mind Simpson staying if Santon is starting at RB. I think Simpson will benefit from the competition and being dropped from the side. 

He has positives to his game that have been blown beyond sight with his largely woeful performances this season. Somehow Simpson is one of the first names on the team sheet, this isn't helping him want to improve. Given the motivation to work and cut out the glaring flaws to his game he could be decent back up. He reminds me a lot of Stephen Carr defensively, which in turn reminds me of why Habib Beye looked so great at RB when he came.

It is a worrying sign that Santon has been dropped in favor of Raylor, yet Simpson stays at RB. Pardew is very very cautious with playing younger foreign players in their first season though as we have seen with Tevez, Ben Arfa etc..

Guest frazernufc

The full-back has praised the Newcastle fans for their support for the team and insists he has no plans to return to Serie A in the near future.

"Now I feel very comfortable," Santon told intervistasportiva.com. "At the beginning I struggled to find space because I still had some problems and because the coach wanted me to understand the type of football they play here but now I'm finding more space and continuity and I'm happy.

"The fans are fantastic, really, they give you a crazy charge and incite the team regardless of the score.

"I'm really happy here and I'm glad to have signed for five years with Newcastle.

"Come back in Italy? No, at the moment. In the future you never know, it will depend on the opportunities, but now I don't think about it.

"The National team? I hope to come back but I'm not thinking to the European Championship. Now I'm interested to play and find continuity, if all goes well things will flow from that. "

All sounds good from him, and he seems to love us. Really hope he gets given a few starts, think he needs to know the manager trusts him at bit more.