Davide Santon (now retired)

Guest taps01

Maintain that Santon is brilliant like, for his age especially. He just needs to add the ability to go outside about one time in 5 to make himself harder to stop. Good news if he's working a bit on his left foot.

And his defending - which ranges from competent to appalling.

Still have very high hopes for him, but I'm very worried about his head/attitude some times - has no idea where he, or anyone else around him, is at times. It's not a positional misjudgement or anything though, it's a concentration thing - which I find a bit concerning. Needs motivation and support which he doesn't seem to be getting at the club atm.

His lapses are sometimes appalling for how good he can be. The lows are Benfica last year and the highs are Chelsea at home where he hits a bouncing ball first time perfectly for Remy to trap and bomb forward on that counter that led to our 2nd goal.

Still have very high hopes for him, but I'm very worried about his head/attitude some times - has no idea where he, or anyone else around him, is at times. It's not a positional misjudgement or anything though, it's a concentration thing - which I find a bit concerning. Needs motivation and support which he doesn't seem to be getting at the club atm.

Agree with this.

I just don't think he's agile enough to be a really good defensive full back. If he's only slightly out of position, he can't recover.

He's better going forward, but this daft but persistent idea of playing him on the left robs him of a lot of his effectiveness. Defenders know him now, and can snuff him out.

I think Haidara and Dummett are definitely better long-term prospects for that left side, and may have overtaken him already.

Thing is I still think Santon will be properly good one day, but as things stand wouldn't be all that upset to lose him, albeit we have promise in the area but no-one who's really an improvement in defensive reliability, which is Santon's main problem. I think Santon has improved his end product a lot of late.

Leaking stories that Napoli's interested, maybe?

Is this insider knowledge? Well played.

Please scroll up to see where I bumped this thread with the .com reference which mentioned the news story on SD News' site about this. You forced me to go on that site again to find the link, looks like it's since been removed, or I simply can't find it.

More of the same from the club, Ian. Some ITK I would make sitting here in Canada :lol: Although, if anyone wants any crack...

SD News trying to flog Santon - "omg he's gone :("

SD News say we're signing Tom Ince - "SD News :lol:"

Please find a single instance of where this has happened, involving any poster. In any case, even if those headlines were printed, my reaction WOULD be the same :lol:  We ARE in the business of selling our best assets, and no, we're not signing anyone. Breaking even over 5 years' worth of transfer window should be enough data to point to this.

SD.com will know less than your average Newcastle fan.

I disagree. they have been given some pretty close access to Pardew/Players. And now that the local media are banned they are prob the only ones getting any first hand news. The Napoli interest could be bollocks, but either way its still them trying to flog him publicly.

:dowie:

"So we want to sell this player, shall we contact other clubs? His agent? Nah if we put an article on SD.com they'll be banging our door down".

They probably only avoided eBay because of the 5% they'll take from any fee we receive.