Davide Santon (now retired)

Guest taps01

It's ridiculous, like. His obsession with Haidara and that game is so daft. Has one bad game so should never start another one, even though the lad keeping him out of the team is an average full-back who's allergic to assists. I get the argument regarding Santon running with the ball pushing teams back, but whenever I've seen Haidara he carries the ball really well too. Plus he's left-footed and I still think we lack balance now and again with two righties down the left flank.

Don't think Santon deserves to be dropped at all, other players have lost the ball in important positions just unfortunately that his led to the goal last weekend. Haidara is still pretty raw and be used sparingly.

Anyone who thinks Haidara's a better defender should watch the Liverpool 0-6 game and compare it with what they'd consider to be Santon's worst performance. Night and day.

I certainly don't think we can come to the conclusion that Haidara's a better defender yet, but one terrible game doesn't mean much either way at this point.  My own view on these two is that Haidara looks promising (does show some very good promise defensively) but is as yet still an unknown quantity overall.  Santon on the other hand has played plenty and IMO he just isn't a good defender, he can still improve since he's only 22, but right now he's weak defensively.

I'd love an explanation as to how he's poor defensively, as opposed to the oft-used argument of "he just isn't a good defender but I'm not really going to back that up with anything of substance".

His positional sense, tackling and heading are usually fine to good. There's the occasional error in him but no more so than most other full-backs outside of the genuine top players - it's something that typically comes as a trade-off with the expectation that modern full-backs should play further up the pitch, and you see these errors every single week... I get the argument that he isn't left footed, but he's fine at leading into a tackle with his weaker foot and it's rare that he takes the wrong body shape as a result of being on the "wrong" side (something which often happens when full-backs play out of position); I also fully understand and agree with the argument that it affects his contribution in the attacking half of the pitch and that it makes us imbalanced slightly, but that would be massively aided if we actually had a left footed winger, and isn't reason enough to justify dropping him for our two left footed defenders who IMO aren't as good defensively at this moment in time.

There are limitations to his game without question but I think they're massively over-inflated, especially in a defensive sense.

I really like Santon, but his positional sense at times is awful Andy and he's often caught out with the balls behind him.

edit: and how often do we see him putting some good strong tackles in too? I mentioned earlier in the thread I'd love to see a bit more aggression from him.

Anyone who thinks Haidara's a better defender should watch the Liverpool 0-6 game and compare it with what they'd consider to be Santon's worst performance. Night and day.

I certainly don't think we can come to the conclusion that Haidara's a better defender yet, but one terrible game doesn't mean much either way at this point.  My own view on these two is that Haidara looks promising (does show some very good promise defensively) but is as yet still an unknown quantity overall.  Santon on the other hand has played plenty and IMO he just isn't a good defender, he can still improve since he's only 22, but right now he's weak defensively.

I'd love an explanation as to how he's poor defensively, as opposed to the oft-used argument of "he just isn't a good defender but I'm not really going to back that up with anything of substance".

His positional sense, tackling and heading are usually fine to good. There's the occasional error in him but no more so than most other full-backs outside of the genuine top players - it's something that typically comes as a trade-off with the expectation that modern full-backs should play further up the pitch, and you see these errors every single week... I get the argument that he isn't left footed, but he's fine at leading into a tackle with his weaker foot and it's rare that he takes the wrong body shape as a result of being on the "wrong" side (something which often happens when full-backs play out of position); I also fully understand and agree with the argument that it affects his contribution in the attacking half of the pitch and that it makes us imbalanced slightly, but that would be massively aided if we actually had a left footed winger, and isn't reason enough to justify dropping him for our two left footed defenders who IMO aren't as good defensively at this moment in time.

There are limitations to his game without question but I think they're massively over-inflated, especially in a defensive sense.

Got to agree with this, it's a criticism that gets trotted out for nearly any attacking fullback in the game. I've not noticed Santon being that bad.

My beef with Santon is down to two things; The first is his penchant to stay put further up the field and when he is in reach of tracking back/getting close to the man who he is supposed to be marking, ony for him to give up and "walk/trot" back (really boils my pish, happens at least 4 or 5 times a game cos' I am always screaming at him). This leaves someone to be pulled out of position and the rest of the defence stretched and hence opportunity for the other team.

The second is his attitude in games when we are against the run of play, many times you can see him sulking and not showing for the ball as he does in other games (again screams from me to "get in and play").

On the whole, I suppose we are nit picking and he is a great deal better than the Simpsons of this world, probably the fact you know he could be a consistently great defender instead of consitently good... Annoying really.

The argument for Haidara for me is because he shows a hell of a lot more energy and will to cover ground and is technically a good player. Would say he is about par with Santon but we would all go for experience as does Percy. It is nice to have competition for once and I like Percy now changing them when they are playing crap or making mistakes.

P.S. I play left back also (being a right footer), so probably the only position on the field I can comment upon with some depth of understanding. Just so you know, when you play on your opposite foot it opens up a huge range of passes to you and doesn't limit you to "down the line" balls which is the norm when you're on your good side. I don't think it makes a bit of difference to your tackling ability, in fact, would say it makes you better as you're less easily turned "inside"...

If he just stops wandering away from his position, leaving Colo / Willo to cover when he goes wandering, it'll automatically result in a more solid backline. He's definitely the weakest link in the back four, however, he's a fantastic player and he'll only improve as time goes on. We forget how young he is still, and he can iron that part out of his game.

He stops almost nothing coming in from the left. If an opposing player has possession there with Santon to beat, it's almost guaranteed he'll be able to play a ball into the box largely unopposed. I don't know how people miss this.

He does seem to amble back sometimes. Considering I would think he is probably one of our fastest sprinters, it doesn't look great when he half heartedly trots back.

Not going to give him a hard time though as I like Santon and don't agree that needs dropping.

He stops almost nothing coming in from the left. If an opposing player has possession there with Santon to beat, it's almost guaranteed he'll be able to play a ball into the box largely unopposed. I don't know how people miss this.

I don't think this is true at all. Santon gets caught too far forward and lets people get in behind him too easily at times, but he is generally a pretty capable one v. one defender.

I really like Santon, but his positional sense at times is awful Andy and he's often caught out with the balls behind him.

edit: and how often do we see him putting some good strong tackles in too? I mentioned earlier in the thread I'd love to see a bit more aggression from him.

Hmm... Why do you have to make strong tackles to be a good defender? Some of the best in history rarely dived in at all so that's a harsh criticism for me. I don't see this awful positional sense either (on a consistent basis anyway) apart from when the defence are playing a needlessly high line - that's a deficiency with the system rather than the individual for me and IMO it also plagued Debuchy earlier in the season; it hasn't been apparent on either side of the pitch in recent weeks as the defensive line has generally been deeper and the formation has been more compact. 

I can't disagree with the criticism of him walking/jogging back like, but I do think he's improved in that sense in recent months compared to last season, so there's some progression there. 

Hmm... Why do you have to make strong tackles to be a good defender?

I don't see this awful positional sense either (on a consistent basis anyway) 

The first line is spot on but the second line is just wrong imo. For me it's by far his worst aspect of his game, probably why you even rarely see him sweeping anything up if Colo makes a mistake. With Debuchy you might see him covering across for Willo or being in the right position for a block/header. With Santon he seems to ball watch and gets caught a few yards out of position defensively and it is a problem. Like people have stated when he gets forward he doesn't help himself with his half hearted track backs either, that's very strange.

He’s going to have to be careful because at the moment, Haidara is one excellent cameo performance away from taking his place. Can see Pardew already putting his faith in him and I don’t think it’s conceivable we might see a change in left back soon if Santon doesn’t up his game another level. For me Santon is the better left back but if he’s not pulling his weight, he’s not going to get a free ride anymore with a promising left back in Haidara pushing for a chance.

Hmm... Why do you have to make strong tackles to be a good defender? Some of the best in history rarely dived in at all so that's a harsh criticism for me. I don't see this awful positional sense either (on a consistent basis anyway) apart from when the defence are playing a needlessly high line - that's a deficiency with the system rather than the individual for me and IMO it also plagued Debuchy earlier in the season; it hasn't been apparent on either side of the pitch in recent weeks as the defensive line has generally been deeper and the formation has been more compact. 

I can't disagree with the criticism of him walking/jogging back like, but I do think he's improved in that sense in recent months compared to last season, so there's some progression there. 

I'm not talking about diving in, I'd just like to see a little more from him, let his winger know he's there.

Just can't agree with his positioning mind. He does get caught out. Teams get behind him to easily to often.

I like him. Good on the ball, his left foot is getting better. Good pace. Still plenty room to improve though.

I'm not talking about diving in, I'd just like to see a little more from him, let his winger know he's there.

Just can't agree with his positioning mind. He does get caught out. Teams get behind him to easily to often.

I like him. Good on the ball, his left foot is getting better. Good pace. Still plenty room to improve though.

I agree, the best part is that he's improving. Haven't seen anything from Haidara which suggests he's a better player. Only problem with Santon is his inconsistency, seems like when he's low on confidence he just doesn't get better, but when the team is playing well, he'll play better as well.

O0

Santon is probably the only one of the current starters not in top form, if he gets back to his best we'll have real threat down both flanks for the first time in absolutely ages...

No we won't because he doesn't cross with his left foot. He comes inside every time and that's why he won't be providing many assists no matter what he does anywhere else on the pitch.