Davide Santon (now retired)

Guest taps01

I love the fact he actually wants the ball and looks so comfortable carrying it.

That's how I feel about Obertan. Seems most other people see him in a different way.

After criticising people who were saying he should be in the side yesterday, I'm surprised you have even shown up in this thread.

I love the fact he actually wants the ball and looks so comfortable carrying it.

That's how I feel about Obertan. Seems most other people see him in a different way.

After criticising people who were saying he should be in the side yesterday, I'm surprised you have even shown up in this thread.

I never said he shouldn't be in the side. I said it's not fair to call Raylor and Simpson crap and someone who had only played 3 games brilliant.

I never said he shouldn't be in the side. I said it's not fair to call Raylor and Simpson crap and someone who had only played 3 games brilliant.

There's a difference between being fair and having sound judgement, and a difference between calling two players crap/one brilliant and saying that one is clearly the better option for the team.

Sometimes when you're wrong it's better just to hold your hands up and say fair play. That would be now for you.

Sometimes when you're wrong it's better just to hold your hands up and say fair play. That would be now for you.

I'm never wrong because I don't call any of our players rubbish. I criticised Krul's kicking last season. That's it.

'Our fullbacks are all crap apart from Santon' isn't sound judgement.

neither is 'the world is flat'. what's your point?

His point is he's never wrong, even when he clearly is.

Guest optimistic nit

to be honest he has a fair point.

I was going to make a reply, typed out 2 sentences, then I thought I just can't be bothered. What's happened to this forum :(

I was going to make a reply, typed out 2 sentences, then I thought I just can't be bothered. What's happened to this forum :(

That is 2 sentences.  You might as well as gone with what you thought was meaningful

Pretty much everyone who's ever watched him sees it a different way. It's Obertan's job to actually make something happen with it, that's the difference.

Pretty much everyone who's ever watched him sees it a different way. It's Obertan's job to actually make something happen with it, that's the difference.

Not to mention that Santon's actually made things happened all the way from FB as opposed to absolute-fuck-all from lightbulbhead

If Santon is in the side till the end of the season and plays well, Raylor will have been a huge reason. I'd even go as far to say that if Santon has a successful career here, part of it will have been down to Raylor's competence earlier in this season.

Yes, Taylor's had bad games and looked a poor player at times, i'm not going to deny that. The truth has always been that he's a competent-but-limited defender with a wand of a right-foot. But the fact that we've not had to throw Santon - a raw youngster, who doesn't know the league/country or even the language - straight into the side will have aided his development as a Newcastle player.

We've not had to chuck him in at the deep end; we've given him time to adjust to an alien environment and adapt to a new backline. I didn't think it would be against Manu, of all teams, where he'd enter the side and 'do his thang', but that's how it's panned out.

This is how it should work for a signing like his. Incremental steps. And Raylor is largely to thank for it.

If Santon is in the side till the end of the season and plays well, Raylor will have been a huge reason. I'd even go as far to say that if Santon has a successful career here, part of it will have been down to Raylor's competence earlier in this season.

Yes, Taylor's had bad games and looked a poor player at times, i'm not going to deny that. The truth has always been that he's a competent-but-limited defender with a wand of a right-foot. But the fact that we've not had to throw Santon - a raw youngster, who doesn't know the league/country or even the language - straight into the side will have aided his development as a Newcastle player.

That's a little OTT. It didn't hurt Coloccini's development.

Coloccini's a great example for what i'm talking about.

It took Colo a chilled year in the second-tier to get up to scratch. He came straight in the side when he first signed, and was propa garbage.

But then, you knew/wanted me to say that. :pow:

Nitpicky a bit mate, Ron, but i get what you're saying.

Top post though Yorkie, agree with you.  I agree that Santon's development and comfortable play vs Man Utd can def be attributed to how well Raylor has played this season ALLOWING Santon the time to learn the game, learn the tactics, learn the language better etc, etc. AND that all aids to his development b/c he was given time to get settled at his age coming I'm sure low on confidence having left Inter and the high expectations that were set for him.

Do you still think Santon isn't a left back? I appreciate you're ignorant of Italian football and how well he's performed their before btw.

Coloccini's a great example for what i'm talking about.

It took Colo a chilled year in the second-tier to get up to scratch. He came straight in the side when he first signed, and was propa garbage.

But then, you knew/wanted me to say that. :pow:

You were talking about long-term development. Coloccini's just about the best defender in the league right now, so that stint (which wasn't garbage, as you know) couldn't have done him much harm.

Defenders learn from what they do wrong, not what Ryan Taylor does right.

Do you still think Santon isn't a left back? I appreciate you're ignorant of Italian football and how well he's performed their before btw.

Yeah. Did he lose the ability to use his left foot when he got on a plane like? Team balance and shape, pretty important.