Davide Santon (now retired)

Guest taps01

'Our fullbacks are all crap apart from Santon' isn't sound judgement.

neither is 'the world is flat'. what's your point?

Do you still think Santon isn't a left back? I appreciate you're ignorant of Italian football and how well he's performed their before btw.

Yeah. Did he lose the ability to use his left foot when he got on a plane like? Team balance and shape, pretty important.

Has always had a reputation of being one footed to be fair.

He was brilliant the other night.  As other have said, he was caught ball watching and letting his man go a few times, was also a bit narow at times.  Stood next to Jonas and neither tracked the runner, think the understanding will come with time though, really impressed with him and excited by how good he could be, he's bloody fast going forward with a great touch.

Undecided whether I would rather see him on the right or left???

Guest VaVaVoom

Simpson about to sign a new contract would suggest he is a permanent fixture at LB now.

I think he will be great down the left but i agree that he would be better at RB.

But come on, that would mean FMA would need to go out and buy a quality LB when Simpson given a new deal is the much cheaper option.

Guest VaVaVoom

Right, so we can get a similar attacking minded beast on the left who is left footed!

Cissokho would be the one but i dont think FMA has the same ambition for the club as us fans.

Simpson about to sign a new contract would suggest he is a permanent fixture at LB now.

I think he will be great down the left but i agree that he would be better at RB.

But come on, that would mean FMA would need to go out and buy a quality LB when Simpson given a new deal is the much cheaper option.

Or we could go after a quality RB and keep Santon at LB.........

I thought you were totally pro-Ashley.....

Guest VaVaVoom

Fuck off.

When have i ever said such things?

People going on about Santon being a right back and shouldnt be on the left is quite annoying. Lahm is a left-back and right footer, why cant Santon be the same. Actually thinks his ability to cut inside is an important asset to his game.

Or we could go after a quality RB and keep Santon at LB.........

This, a naturally left footed LB would probably cost quite much (considering our spending)

But Clyne would probably not cost too much.

Fuck off.

When have i ever said such things?

You should know by now, you either HATE EVERYTHING MA does and want him dead, OR you love him, and regularly jerk off over his topless photos. There is no inbetween. It's... dare I say it?.... Black and White.

People going on about Santon being a right back and shouldnt be on the left is quite annoying. Lahm is a left-back and right footer, why cant Santon be the same. Actually thinks his ability to cut inside is an important asset to his game.

Agree with this.

Guest VaVaVoom

You should know by now, you either HATE EVERYTHING MA does and want him dead, OR you love him, and regularly jerk off over his topless photos. There is no inbetween. It's... dare I say it?.... Black and White.

Sarcasm?

Im somewhere inbetween to be honest.

I hate the guy for the contempt he has shown the club and us fans. For his lack of ambition at times but he has also done ALOT of good for the club too.

EDIT: Its the fear that our best players could be sold which is my biggest worry with him. I dont trust him nor Llambias at all.

Sarcasm?

I hate the guy for the contempt he has shown the club and us fans. For his lack of ambition at times but he has also done ALOT of good for the club too.

:lol:

http://i.imgur.com/foWhN.png

Sarcasm?

:lol:

http://i.imgur.com/foWhN.png

Sarcasm?

EDIT: REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEQUOTEEEEEE

Guest VaVaVoom

Agree with this.

I agree mate. He could stay there and be great for us, he has the ability. IF FMA had the ambition and clout to get a quality left footed LB would that not be better though?

That's why I am a bit torn and confused about it all!  Having two right footers on the left seems a bit counter productive and Santon just seems so one footed.  He tried a cross against WBA that went straight out and that is one of the only times I can remember him even using his left. 

Does look lethal going forward though and it is probably because he's playing on the left side, with the ability to drift in as you say.

I reckon that in the long term, Santon will be our starting RB (remember that he's still only 20 and he's already comfortable playing on either side).

But as it stands, in the short and medium term (as in the rest of the season and possibly most of next season), he'll be our starting LB imo.

I have no problems where he starts really, be it at RB or LB, he'll be an asset to the side.

If Santon is in the side till the end of the season and plays well, Raylor will have been a huge reason. I'd even go as far to say that if Santon has a successful career here, part of it will have been down to Raylor's competence earlier in this season.

Yes, Taylor's had bad games and looked a poor player at times, i'm not going to deny that. The truth has always been that he's a competent-but-limited defender with a wand of a right-foot. But the fact that we've not had to throw Santon - a raw youngster, who doesn't know the league/country or even the language - straight into the side will have aided his development as a Newcastle player.

That's a little OTT. It didn't hurt Coloccini's development.

Coloccini's a great example for what i'm talking about.

It took Colo a chilled year in the second-tier to get up to scratch. He came straight in the side when he first signed, and was propa garbage.

But then, you knew/wanted me to say that. :pow:

You were talking about long-term development. Coloccini's just about the best defender in the league right now, so that stint (which wasn't garbage, as you know) couldn't have done him much harm.

Defenders learn from what they do wrong, not what Ryan Taylor does right.

I just think it's better for a young player in a new footballing/living environment to adapt to new surroundings, before slinging them straight into the side. Having Raylor has allowed us to do that.

Guest optimistic nit

If Santon is in the side till the end of the season and plays well, Raylor will have been a huge reason. I'd even go as far to say that if Santon has a successful career here, part of it will have been down to Raylor's competence earlier in this season.

Yes, Taylor's had bad games and looked a poor player at times, i'm not going to deny that. The truth has always been that he's a competent-but-limited defender with a wand of a right-foot. But the fact that we've not had to throw Santon - a raw youngster, who doesn't know the league/country or even the language - straight into the side will have aided his development as a Newcastle player.

That's a little OTT. It didn't hurt Coloccini's development.

Coloccini's a great example for what i'm talking about.

It took Colo a chilled year in the second-tier to get up to scratch. He came straight in the side when he first signed, and was propa garbage.

But then, you knew/wanted me to say that. :pow:

You were talking about long-term development. Coloccini's just about the best defender in the league right now, so that stint (which wasn't garbage, as you know) couldn't have done him much harm.

Defenders learn from what they do wrong, not what Ryan Taylor does right.

footballers are people not robots.