Davide Santon (now retired)

Guest taps01

Perchie did well aye.

Part of their joy down our left was from a strong and positive first half from Sagna. He's class.

Possibly they were set up to attack that side and drag Colo out, leaving Williamson on van Persie. That's how they scored anyway.

They didn't seem so intent on attacking Simpson with Chamberlain, a just as tasty 1 vs. 1.

Been subbed early twice now, but he is not playing well and I can see him being on the bench on Sunday, he is in no way a LB and to be honest I don't see how he would/could be a RB. Looks like he could be a half decent winger but as a defender no way.

Been subbed early twice now, but he is not playing well and I can see him being on the bench on Sunday, he is in no way a LB and to be honest I don't see how he would/could be a RB. Looks like he could be a half decent winger but as a defender no way.

:lol: Really? Barring 3 or 4 games this season I think he's been top notch both defensively and from an attacking point of view. Granted, yesterday he was very poor and Perchy did well when he came on.

I am not convinced by him at all, not calling his work rate, I could play and work hard but I would be utter shite. I am questioning his ability as a defender, if he remains our first choice LB next season we are in big reouble.

I don't think Santon was even that bad, sure, Walcott got the better of him a couple times but nothing really came from it anyway. Perch sitting deep the whole of the second half made it much easier for Arsenal to press us on the left flank, if anything (not that Perch played badly).

Guest neesy111

:lol: Really? Barring 3 or 4 games this season I think he's been top notch both defensively and from an attacking point of view. Granted, yesterday he was very poor and Perchy did well when he came on.

I am not convinced by him at all, not calling his work rate, I could play and work hard but I would be utter s****. I am questioning his ability as a defender, if he remains our first choice LB next season we are in big reouble.

OK, that's your opinion, but personally I have a lot of confidence in him as a defender and a left back. He's just had a bad few games thats all.

Remember Enrique for his 1st 2 seasons looked just as bad as Santon is at the moment.  Much bigger worries in the squad.

I am not convinced by him at all, not calling his work rate, I could play and work hard but I would be utter s****. I am questioning his ability as a defender, if he remains our first choice LB next season we are in big reouble.

OK, that's your opinion, but personally I have a lot of confidence in him as a defender and a left back. He's just had a bad few games thats all.

Remember Enrique for his 1st 2 seasons looked just as bad as Santon is at the moment.  Much bigger worries in the squad.

Don't think Santon has looked as bad as Enrique did at all.

Enrique had a few moments of madness - especially in his first two seasons - but he always looked like a natural defender who'd go on to be something special.

I think the reason he gets defended by some of us is we can see he has real quality and he's just a young lad. It's totally different to lambasting players like Raylor or Ameobi who are meant to be established professionals.

He had a poor 1st half BUT Perch wasn't much better and that would have been an okay performance by Raylors standards

Would like to see him get a run at right back if possible, might just be more suited to that side

Santon was gash, Perch played well and meant Jonas could get forward more without having to cover for Santon.

He's looked good running with the ball going forward but he can't defend and is terribly right footed for someone being asked to play left back.

Guest WashyGeordie

I think the reason he gets defended by some of us is we can see he has real quality and he's just a young lad. It's totally different to lambasting players like Raylor or Ameobi who are meant to be established professionals.

Plus i read somewhere that Santon can still only speak basic English (and their upping his lessons). I think it's harsh to criticise him this season as he's just pretty much came here.

It was the same with Enrique/Colo etc when they all first joined, he'll come good next season imo.

I gotta think communication is tough for him.  The lad does not speak much English at all, which can't help when his biggest liability has been his positioning thus far.  It also can't help that he is right footed playing on the left and you constantly cutting in to work the ball onto his right foot.  That through ball he had to Ba in the first half is not a pass that any of our other fullbacks are making any time soon.  I think we will see him much improved next season as he figures it out, as you can see his potential both on the ball and defensively (at least one on one defending thus far) and the rest should come with time.

Don't think his poor understanding of the language has anything to do with it, surely he should know the most simple instructions by now, i'ts not like there's a political debate on the pitch.

I think it's more because of us being a shambles of a team when it comes to play football, we invite attack after attack cause we lose the ball all the time and can't keep possession for 10 seconds, no wonder he often looks out of position when he's attacking and we lose the ball. Our movement off the ball has to be one of the worst atm Mostly this and that he hasn't adapted fully yet to the style of football, not very consisten yet.

A lot of blabla from me now tbh.

Don't think his poor understanding of the language has anything to do with it, surely he should know the most simple instructions by now, i'ts not like there's a political debate on the pitch.

I think it's more because of us being a shambles of a team when it comes to play football, we invite attack after attack cause we lose the ball all the time and can't keep possession for 10 seconds, no wonder he often looks out of position when he's attacking and we lose the ball. Our movement off the ball has to be one of the worst atm Mostly this and that he hasn't adapted fully yet to the style of football, not very consisten yet.

A lot of blabla from me now tbh.

he goes forward when he gets the chance, like any decent modern full back should yet we have no-one in the teamcapable of saying to themselves "why don't i take up a position where i can be available for the ball if needed or drop into full back should we lose possession" like speed, lee,sellars all did or are we all so stupid we think only the nominated full back is allowed in that position. thats not tactics, it's basic football that some players just don't have the sense to do.

I gotta think communication is tough for him.  The lad does not speak much English at all, which can't help when his biggest liability has been his positioning thus far.  It also can't help that he is right footed playing on the left and you constantly cutting in to work the ball onto his right foot.  That through ball he had to Ba in the first half is not a pass that any of our other fullbacks are making any time soon.  I think we will see him much improved next season as he figures it out, as you can see his potential both on the ball and defensively (at least one on one defending thus far) and the rest should come with time.

lol i accept the lad is in a new country for less than a season but to blame his perfomances on language barrier?  really??

i mean how many words of english do you need to know in a football match. lol

i also don't buy this nonsense of him playing on the wrong side, yes it has some affect on a player,  but he cuts in because he chooses , just like when he decides to roam forward,  that's his choosing. 

glenn johnson had no problems playing on the left when he was needed and he didnt find himself cutting in, in fact some of them scouse scums said he played better on the leftside.

lol i accept the lad is in a new country for less than a season but to blame his perfomances on language barrier?  really??

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shift_key

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shift_key

lol get a life this is a football forum not an application for cambridge  ;D

At least there is a plan B with this lad to convert him to a winger if he continues to struggle in the full back position.

i think he would very useful as a winger, left or right side.

would be a better option than obertan. and when jonas gets injured he may get a chance on the left side as well

I've no doubt he'll be the right sided Gareth Bale in a couple of years

he has the attributes, santon is one of a few players we got that can actually dribble and go past players,

i dont see it in obertan, marveaux , raylor, .  jonas can do it sometimes when he's not busy playing as our auxiliary fullback. 

obertan has the pace to do it but has no balls.