Davide Santon (now retired)

Guest taps01

I don't particularly mind Simpson staying if Santon is starting at RB. I think Simpson will benefit from the competition and being dropped from the side. 

He has positives to his game that have been blown beyond sight with his largely woeful performances this season. Somehow Simpson is one of the first names on the team sheet, this isn't helping him want to improve. Given the motivation to work and cut out the glaring flaws to his game he could be decent back up. He reminds me a lot of Stephen Carr defensively, which in turn reminds me of why Habib Beye looked so great at RB when he came.

It is a worrying sign that Santon has been dropped in favor of Raylor, yet Simpson stays at RB. Pardew is very very cautious with playing younger foreign players in their first season though as we have seen with Tevez, Ben Arfa etc..

We were very cautious bedding Enrique into the team too.

I think Santon will be a great player, but at the moment he has a tendency to wander very high up the pitch and we get caught out.  I've no problem seeing Perch or Raylor back there if we're trying to keep tight defensively, as they tend to hold their position and in the case of Perch he's suddenly become a pretty good tackler in recent weeks.  He'll throw himself about.

Definitely still want Santon starting every home match, though.  Really like the guy.

Guest Tyson

We'll see him at RB next season. :)

Yep sounds like the plan......  Santon at RB, Simpson out and someone brought in at LB.

I dont necessarily want Simpson out, just relegated to the bench but it does seem like this is what we will see happen.

I like to see FB's playing on their natural wing, in accordance to their stronger foot. Two-footed FB's, who are equally efficient & confident off both feet in a pass & move gameplan, are a rare find.

When playing the ball out of defense, a rightfooted FB playing at LB (or vice versa on the other flank) will usually check back to the stronger foot & release the pass. That little bit of extra time spent on the ball spells trouble in your own defensive half, when there's an aggressive & sliding defensive press snapping at their heels all the time (courtesy of the frontmen: one providing immediate pressure FB from the inside, and the other sliding over/covering the inside ball back to the centre half). Underhit sideline-hugging balls (off the weaker foot, as they shield themselves from the pressing defender/s) is a problem to.

Arfa, when he drifts inside & inevitably coralled by numbers, is in desperate need of an easy-to-find wide outlet. Given that the two Demba's appear to be dialled into HBA's creative wavelength (they're working the angles around the box) there's more room out wide for a muruading FB. To at least provide support. HBA wouldn't be a 'one man show' out wide right, which is the team's current predicament because Simpson provides bugger-all in the way of a get-out-jail outlet (or option) for the RW. 

Santon happy with life at Newcastle

27 March 2012

Davide Santon insists he is happy with life at Newcastle United and that he has no plans to move back to Serie A in the near future.

Davide Santon insists he is happy with life at Newcastle United and that he has no plans to move back to Serie A in the near future.

The Italian concedes he found it difficult to break into Alan Pardew's side but feels his chances of securing a place in the starting line-up are increasing following his adaptation to the Premier League.

"Now I feel very comfortable," Santon told intervistasportiva.com. "At the beginning I struggled to find space because I still had some problems and because the coach wanted me to understand the type of football they play here but now I'm finding more space and continuity and I'm happy.

"The fans are fantastic, really, they give you a crazy charge and incite the team regardless of whether you win or lose, the stadium always has fifty thousand people.

"I'm really happy here and I'm glad I signed for five years with Newcastle."

The Italy under-21 captain also dismissed rumours of a possible move back to Serie A in the summer.

"Come back to Italy? No, at the moment. In the future you never know, it will depend on the opportunities, but now I don't think about it," he said.

"The national team? I hope to come back but I'm not thinking to the European Championship. Now I'm interested to play and find continuity, if all goes well things will flow from that."

Santon joined Newcastle from Inter Milan last summer for five million pounds, and has made 18 appearances for the Toon.

http://uk.soccerway.com/news/2012/March/27/santon-happy-with-life-at-newcastle/

Really rate this lad, he'll be class for us. But I would rather see him on the right with a left-footed LB as our other players pretty much all like to cut inside.

Definitely. The way I see it, for this kind of formation to really work we need the fullbacks to supply the natural width. Santon on the right and a similar attacking fullback on the left.

Yep sounds like the plan......  Santon at RB, Simpson out and someone brought in at LB.

I dont necessarily want Simpson out, just relegated to the bench but it does seem like this is what we will see happen.

I like to see FB's playing on their natural wing, in accordance to their stronger foot. Two-footed FB's, who are equally efficient & confident off both feet in a pass & move gameplan, are a rare find.

When playing the ball out of defense, a rightfooted FB playing at LB (or vice versa on the other flank) will usually check back to the stronger foot & release the pass. That little bit of extra time spent on the ball spells trouble in your own defensive half, when there's an aggressive & sliding defensive press snapping at their heels all the time (courtesy of the frontmen: one providing immediate pressure FB from the inside, and the other sliding over/covering the inside ball back to the centre half). Underhit sideline-hugging balls (off the weaker foot, as they shield themselves from the pressing defender/s) is a problem to.

Arfa, when he drifts inside & inevitably coralled by numbers, is in desperate need of an easy-to-find wide outlet. Given that the two Demba's appear to be dialled into HBA's creative wavelength (they're working the angles around the box) there's more room out wide for a muruading FB. To at least provide support. HBA wouldn't be a 'one man show' out wide right, which is the team's current predicament because Simpson provides bugger-all in the way of a get-out-jail outlet (or option) for the RW.

Completely agree, it really does annoy me how Simpson almost brings attacks to a stand still when he gets the ball, the potential of Ben Arfa on the right side of a front 3 and Santon marauding from RB is massive it would pretty much be our version of Messi & Alves.

And i wouldnt worry about it defensively because in a 4-3-3 a midfielders job is to cover the runs that are made, when you look at Barca everytime Alves goes forward Busquets drops back and Yaya did the same when he was there i would expect the same from Tiote or who ever it is who would be assigned to that job.

Guest Tyson

When playing the ball out of defense, a rightfooted FB playing at LB (or vice versa on the other flank) will usually check back to the stronger foot & release the pass. That little bit of extra time spent on the ball spells trouble in your own defensive half, when there's an aggressive & sliding defensive press snapping at their heels all the time (courtesy of the frontmen: one providing immediate pressure from the inside, and the other sliding over/covering the inside ball back to the centre half). Underhit sideline-hugging balls (off the weaker foot, as they shield themselves from the pressing defender/s) is a problem to.

Arfa, when he drifts inside & inevitably gets coralled by numbers, is in desperate need of an easy-to-find wide outlet. Given that the two Demba's appear to be dialled into HBA's creative wavelength (they're working the angles around the box) there's more room out wide for a muruading FB. To at least provide support. HBA wouldn't be a 'one man show' out wide right, which is the team's current predicament because Simpson provides bugger-all in the way of a get-out-jail outlet (or option) for the RW.

Completely agree, it really does annoy me how Simpson almost brings attacks to a stand still when he gets the ball, the potential of Ben Arfa on the right side of a front 3 and Santon marauding from RB is massive it would pretty much be our version of Messi & Alves.

And i wouldnt worry about it defensively because in a 4-3-3 a midfielders job is to cover the runs that are made, when you look at Barca everytime Alves goes forward Busquets drops back and Yaya did the same when he was there i would expect the same from Tiote or who ever it is who would be assigned to that job.

All three mentioned have the physical presence, and but more importantly the engine required to cover that extra ground ie. out wide in defense. They're perfect for that sort of role.

Blood Ferguson at LB, for now, where the more defensively minded Jonas will support adequate support during his blooding-in period. That will release Santon in his preferred slot on the other flank.

• 2 weeks later...

He's better than Colo was in his 1st season.

Exactly, he seems to be adaptin very well and better than Colo, which always a nice comparison because of how good Fabricio turned out for us..