Davide Santon (now retired)

Guest taps01

We're apparently in advance talks with Loic Remy. If that turns out to be shit there are still plenty more options out there.

I wouldn't exactly be opposed to signing Downing for the right price, I would just expect him to be at least 2nd choice which leaves him in a similar place to that he's in at Liverpool.

To be fair though, i've never heard of Loic Remy and don't know where he plays or anything. Downing has a premier league track record, wouldn't need time to settle in the country/area or league etc unlike someone from abroad.

He's hindered by the fact he's absolute pony, like. Serioously, have you seen him play at all recently? Pretty sure he has about one assist in his whole time at Liverpool. :lol:

He's hardly played for Rodgers though has he?

Aye, because he's fucking shite mate.

Didn't you want us to sign Stephen Warnock in the summer as well FFS?

If we are going to play with two wingers cutting inside it is even more important to have the right foot at the right side to provide width.

A fair point, but not a reason we should sign Downing.

Downing out! (of the Santon thread)

Was more thinking of the Remy transfer, and point still stands today with Jonas/demba/cisse out wide.

Downing is shit. We can, and I'm pretty sure we will, do better.

NO he isn't. He has pace to burn and can deliver quality crosses from the left.

Currently a big upgrade on what we're getting from Jonas and Obertan and can also cover left back if required.

Pace to burn. :lol: Someone's definitely on the wind-up here.

hey hey hey. Im not critizing him.  Im just discussing or asking if he would be better on the right.

only thing i say that could be negative is his left foot and that his end product is lacking. can be worked on and a new partner in stead of jonas could help the course.

think he has a good right foot that would produce more attacking from the right than his cutting in from the left do atm.

thats all. like the player and he is young. Not critizing. But there is always room for improvement!

:thup: Didn't mean you when I was saying criticising, just meant some fans in general. 

He hasn't been great recently. He & Colo have been a weak point defensively. Although he looks good going forward and contributes to good play. He has no end product and provides no width. At least Simpson provides some width. Really think he should move to RB when Simpson leaves. Young manages to provide width on the left despite being right footed, cut-back and cross although most lb's find themselves running onto the ball.

We often play with 10 outfield right footed players. Poor balance.

Put him on the right without delay, then Fergy or anyone who is comfortable on the ball at left back. We simply have to break up the Willo Simmo paralysis in posession axis which is stunting the game of our remaining 2 class defenders Colo and Santon.

Either that or 3 at the back and up and down wide men Wigan style.

We do lack balance, but I don't think moving Santon is the best answer. Play someone on the left of midfield who can go outside. Maybe a HBA-Cisse-Remy fronline would provide that.

HBA's natural inclination is not to provide width. On the left he still looks to surge into the box and cutback/dink a ball-in. He needs someone to provide an overlap. He can go outside but that's not his natural game ala Robert or Solano.

There's no other option that having our fullbacks provide width imo. You can blame Danny for his delivery at Fulham but look how he provided an outball. Santon never does that for us.

Put him on the right without delay, then Fergy or anyone who is comfortable on the ball at left back. We simply have to break up the Willo Simmo paralysis in posession axis which is stunting the game of our remaining 2 class defenders Colo and Santon.

Either that or 3 at the back and up and down wide men Wigan style.

Santon and Colo have been worse defensively these last few weeks. At the moment i'd drop Santon for fergie a) as a kick up the arse. He's been somewhat at fault for a few goals these last few games b) some bloody width.

IMO Santon's not at that level where he needs to play even if he's in bad form like Krul, Colo, Tiote, Cabaye, HBA, one of the Demba's. That's our spine.

HBA cutting with Santon providing an option would be awesome. Santon plays RB for Italian U21s so it's hardly like he's unfamiliar.

He makes good runs with the ball from LB but can't deliver. He needn't make good runs with the ball at RB, he could pass and move into a good crossing postion, you know, a bit of teamwork, would make us very potent from that side.

• 2 weeks later...