Davide Santon (now retired)

Guest taps01

defensivly poor today, attacking average.

would put haidara in next week. not because of todays performance but we could do with a more solid , more orthodox full back in this sort of game.

Agreed.  Every game I watch him recently I come away with him being not defensively being good.

Individually he's actually very good defensively, i don't see many attackers wreck him 1 v 1 its positional sense and knowing when to go forward and when not to he has troubles with.

Anyway i don't think he was that bad ( apart from the 2nd goal) he was ok in both departments but ok isn't really good enough to me especially if Haidara keeps getting chances and keeps impressing.

He's absolutely knackered, like. It's been clear for over a month despite him putting a couple of excellent performances in recently. He had no problems at all defensively in the first three months of the season (when he was more or less our best player coincidentally).

Guest VanBarduck

Would love to see him on the wing someday. Bale was always an average looking full back. Then he played a few games on the wing and boom worth 30mil  :cheesy:  Okay santon might not get that good but still i reckon he can be a good winger  :D Same size , same speed and acceleration , powerful shot too, why not ?

Santon was almost walking back watching their break. I like him a lot but stuff like that isn't good enough. If he is physically fucked then I can't really blame him though and he has played a lot this season.

Guest neesy111

Santon was almost walking back watching their break. I like him a lot but stuff like that isn't good enough. If he is physically fucked then I can't really blame him though and he has played a lot this season.

He has to be mentally tired as that was his 1st game in 2 weeks, no excuse for that tbh.

Aye, not a fan of that, needs to be making more of an effort to get back into position faster than that.

Three assists in his last three league games.

:lol: He is improving offensively mind which is a good thing as for too long he looked like doing nothing when he approached the box.

Be class if he can continue to improve offensively and iron out his defensive problems, having two fullbacks that teams have to be worried about :fwap:

He definitely needs to improve his decision making in defense and positioning though.

He's using his left foot far more now and that's made him more unpredictable going forward.

I strongly disagree it was his fault for that second goal, the whole point of having a 5 man midfield is because it's so versatile, the defensive midfielder should cover the full back when they bomb on. We can't expect the lad to attack and defend at the same time. Better organisation would protect the space he leaves open, which is something we need to work on still.

He's using his left foot far more now and that's made him more unpredictable going forward.

I strongly disagree it was his fault for that second goal, the whole point of having a 5 man midfield is because it's so versatile, the defensive midfielder should cover the full back when they bomb on. We can't expect the lad to attack and defend at the same time. Better organisation would protect the space he leaves open, which is something we need to work on still.

Did you see him (barely) jogging back watching them break?

It was about 50 minutes in, fair enough he should be covered when getting forward but as a defender he should have made a hell of a lot more effort than he did to get back! He was strolling literally watching it unfold in front of him. If he was 38 and it was the 87th minute of the game he would have an excuse but he is a very young lad, at the peak of his fitness and barely into the second half!

He's had a bad few weeks defensively, but maybe he'll be able to pick his moments more going forward if the team can settle into a shape with HBA.

Citeh in particular have their fullbacks bombing on all the time, but their midfield is usually DM heavy.

Three assists in his last three league games. Not bad considering how shit I keep reading he's been lately.

This.

Can't believe the shite I read about Santon here, he was great yesterday. People can fuck off with this "caught out of position" bollocks as well, if you want attacking full backs, they won't always be back there to defend, you simply can't have it both ways. Yes, he should have worked harder to get back for their second, but Gouffran was the closest player to Lallana and he covered for Santon there.

Three assists in his last three league games. Not bad considering how s*** I keep reading he's been lately.

You have to say, his side of the back 4 has seemed a little vunerable lately. Especially when he's not there when the ball's pinged in.

As others have said, it's all good him going forward, especially if it results in assists but then, as a team, we have to cover the hole he leaves. That or he gets back into position or considers his defensive duties paramount at all times. Just some plan or system has to be implemented if our FBs move into attacking positions.