Davide Santon (now retired)

Guest taps01

He's a defender. His work for the 4th was great but it only par'd for his AWOL activity for their second.

Look at the best fullbacks, Ashley Cole, Evra on this season's form. Solid defensively first, then they attack.

I like my defenders to defend first. I'd take cleansheets every time over defenders scoring/assisting.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest bimpy474

I always watch the subs cos if they go down the tunnel it usually means injury. Santon shook hands and sat down.

Trevor Francis reckoned he walk off down the tunnel on the commentary, probably still suffering from his stroke like.

He certainly didn't like us today Francis.

I always watch the subs cos if they go down the tunnel it usually means injury. Santon shook hands and sat down.

Something happened, I missed it and just noticed that Santon was acting strange when going off and looking towards Pardew after he was between him and the dugout.  I thought that Santon has said something but can't be sure.

Santon's an enigma. He's a good footballer and carries the ball well, but he's not really effective at either end of the pitch as he could be. He's too predictable when attacking as he always cuts inside, and then there are moments defensively where he just switches off. None of this would matter so much if he had  a decent winger in front of him or no competition from Haidara, who looks hard as nails.

Santon's an enigma. He's a good footballer and carries the ball well, but he's not really effective at either end of the pitch as he could be. He's too predictable when attacking as he always cuts inside, and then there are moments defensively where he just switches off. None of this would matter so much if he had  a decent winger in front of him or no competition from Haidara, who looks hard as nails.

Agree with this - Santon is not a good defender and whilst he looks good going forward, his constant need to keep trying to cross with his right foot, or cutting inside makes him predictable for defenders.

I thought we looked a more balanced side - and more effective - when he was replaced by Haidara in the second half.

Will score a belter soon.

I am happy if the likes of Cabaye and Cisse do that - Santon needs to improve his defending before trying to score 'belters'...look at Barry Venison, took him ages to get one but nobody cared because he was a good FB..

Think his  place in the starting 11 is at risk, not sure what is going on with him. Goes missing a lot defensively  and I got the feeling some of his efforts from range yesterday were more to do with he was void of ideas of a pass or just could not be arsed so tried smashing it.