Davide Santon (now retired)

Guest taps01

doesn't seem overly likely to me, more likely just made up based on we're playing chelsea that reminded the idiot reporter he used to play for Mourinhio and maybe he'd play for him again! Everybody else just ran with it since hey Mike Ashleys company is saying it (same logic as the ridiculous Rooney story in the summer)

I see Santon is a target for Chelsea (various sources)

Since Mourinho was the manager who bombed him out of Milan it's probably unlikely.

he'd left inter before Santon was loaned out or sold by them.

There was an article at the start of the season with Mou saying Inter were wrong to sell him and we are lucky to have him.

“Whenever I find someone who has everything to become a top player and stay in the first team I’ve never held back in giving them a chance. Maybe in Italy they don’t know what is best.

“I’m talking about Davide Santon who is now at Newcastle.”

I thought Jose obviously knew him well and told his players to show him on to his left foot. Easily the weakest of our defensive line but he played his part and some good headers away, one in-particular off the line.

Guest icemanblue

Thought he was poor again today. Dwells on the ball and his passing is poor.

He was.... one of the few that started that you can say was poor.

Did his job defensively, like. He's often criticised for his positioning, but he was very much part of a compact and organised defensive performance.

Guest bimpy474

His first half ball distribution was appalling, 2nd half it was fine.

He seems to have held off from over attacking now, possibly a managerial decision with Debuchy bombing forward on the other side.

thought he was fine yesterday tbh, defended well, stopped a few crosses. His ball distribution was way under par for him, but the fact he wasn't noticed defensively was a bonus

This. We've been banging on about stopping crosses coming in and putting us under pressure. He stuck to his task and cut out a few with some unassuming blocks. Still learning. I love the way he moves with the ball but he hasn't got a clue what to do with it once he's on the edge of the box.

I thought he had a good game. His pass out of defence (hit with his left foot) picked out Remy perfectly and indirectly led to the second goal.

I don't think he's a liability, he was pretty good for the first hour or so and then Townsend started to get a bit more of a run on him. He was down the bottom end of our scale today but he wasn't "bad" by any stretch.

Far too often he's the wrong side of his man. I do like him a lot but it's criminal how often this actually happens.

Yeah, we were wide open for about 20 mins down his side, lucky they didn't score from one of those chances.

Far too often he's the wrong side of his man. I do like him a lot but it's criminal how often this actually happens.

Yeah, we were wide open for about 20 mins down his side, lucky they didn't score from one of those chances.

This coincided directly with a sharp drop in energy levels from Gouffran, imo. It was understandable given how much he invested earlier, but Davide struggled when Walker and Townsend both came at him in tandem.