Davide Santon (now retired)

Guest taps01

Guest Roger Kint

I'm proper sick of reading about him playing at RB tbf like. :lol:

Maybe so but I would rather that for one game than split Willo & Mapou at CB

:lol: If Haidara isnt fit you are basically doing that anyway

I thought he was a weak link today.  Just doesn't get tight enough for me and too many balls came in from his side too easily

This - he is good on the ball, but he is NOT a good defender and IMHO, unlikely ever to be one, esp on the left . He was exposed badly in the second half because as Gouffran got tired, Santon lost the protection he was providing for him by all his hard work.

I just hope Haidara can develop the promise  he showed last season - unlucky to get that bad injury or he would have been pushing Santon for the place.

How much joy did Walker and Townsend get down the left? A lot less than in nearly every previous game I would say. I know we helped Santon with Gouffran and other players coming across, but that's essential against players as dangerous as Spurs have.

How much joy did Walker and Townsend get..? More and more as the second half wore on, as I said in my posting. Do you think that 'protecting' Santon with Gouffran is sound team policy ? Gouffran was worn out by HT having to cover for him. Santon is an international defender so he shouldn't need protecting to the extent that it is being done now. The fact that Spurs had more joy on that side in the second half showed that they had picked up on what was happening.

This isn't the first time he has been a weak link in defence and whereas Debuchy has stuck to his task and gradually improved as he adjusted to PL football, Santon's defending is still shaky to say the least.

Guest DebuchyAndTheBeast

I think he was ok but he could've done better. I don't remember him giving away any fouls  but because of his lack of pace he should learn to anticipate runs (not hard in the PL because most wingers run in a straight line) and passes in his back from midfielders .

Was talking about Santon today with my mate and we both agreed that Santon's performances of late have been a bit underwhelming. Whilst his positioning and overall defending has improved compared to last season, there is still that hint of naivety there on his part (that is, losing the ball when he has it much too easily when he has it and his one-on-one defending against wingers). Don't get me wrong, he still remains my first choice LB and I have no doubt that with some further coaching, he'll be one of the best LBs in the PL and his mistakes will be cut out to a minimum but as it stands he is lagging behind the others in defence and needs to step it up a bit.

I've read two players in the programme say it's between Haidera and Santon when asked who has the hardest shot at the club. (I was very impressed when Haidera poleaxed that Man City player with his free kick the other week).

I wouldn't have guessed Santon could hit it as powerfully as that based on what I'd seen on matchdays - he should probably try and have a shot a bit more than he does.

He's a talented footballer and still young, so clearly worth persevering with.

I've read two players in the programme say it's between Haidera and Santon when asked who has the hardest shot at the club. (I was very impressed when Haidera poleaxed that Man City player with his free kick the other week).

I wouldn't have guessed Santon could hit it as powerfully as that based on what I'd seen on matchdays - he should probably try and have a shot a bit more than he does.

He's a talented footballer and still young, so clearly worth persevering with.

An NUFC Tv video a few years back had Perch the hardest shot fwiw

I know he's popular on here but I'm starting to have my doubts about him. He tends to be the weak link in defence, he's very careless with his passing and he's got next to no end product. Not writing him off yet like, I just guess I don't see what others on here do.

I know he's popular on here but I'm starting to have my doubts about him. He tends to be the weak link in defence, he's very careless with his passing and he's got next to no end product. Not writing him off yet like, I just guess I don't see what others on here do.

I agree, his passing under pressure is poor and will cost us goals. His positioning is also poor at times. Still hope he can improve.

Guest lebowski

Yeah agree with this. He came to us with such big raps, I remember thinking his signing seemed a real coup. Hard to believe he has suddenly become less of a footballer.

Guest Roger Kint

We need to try him as a winger, we don't have many wingers but have alot of leftbacks.  Lest we forget he started out as a winger and Mourinho converted him.

He is nowhere near good enough to be a winger