Davide Santon (now retired)

Guest taps01

When we are winning people tend to ignore some of the problems that exist within the team, I've thought for a long time that Santon is a weak link and not a very good fullback, but this season I think his performances have dropped even further.

Watch him a little closer.

Must be a wind up? are you Paul Dummett?

When we are winning people tend to ignore some of the problems that exist within the team, I've thought for a long time that Santon is a weak link and not a very good fullback, but this season I think his performances have dropped even further.

Must be a wind up? are you Paul Dummett?

True Geordie, is that you?

SantonWatch.png

This close enough?

In all seriousness he had a shakey start to the season but thought he was good yesterday and gaining confidence again, he made some good tackles.

I like him a lot. There are moments like in the first half where we are passing well and he is pushed up and gets involved and his passing and dribbling are excellent. He's just a good footballer. His defending of course could always be improved but he's still learning and hardly a weak link in the team as it's not like we are constantly leaking goals from his side.

I'd say it's notable that he is not getting forward anywhere near as much as he used to since probably that Everton game. I'm pleased about that as it seemed silly that both our fullbacks kept bombing forward like they were Roberto Carlos, as it kept exposing our centre-backs. Our turn around in form has coincided with this change of tactic as well as sticking Gouffran and Sissoko in front of them.

ha

I still think his defensive positioning is suspect, he is good going forward and can carry the ball out well but he is not great at defending, just averagely consistent. Would like to see both Haidara and Dummet progress also but not at the moment because we have "momentum"...

As the defense is playing well you cannot take him out the team, and with good reason, as a defense is all about balance and confidence. He plays well with both Colo or Mapou beside him and isn't bombing forward as much as before which is obviously helping us.

He looked to have made a significant improvement yesterday in terms of getting himself back into position.

I think that must be down to instruction from Pards to choose his moments to bomb forward. You can see he only overlaps when the opposition's team are fully implanted in their own half... Credit where credit's due tbf...

Not wanting to focus on negatives but Santon is absolute dog s****, the lad cannot defend and is average at getting forward, would be looking to Dummett and Haidara to take over the LB slot ASAP, hopefully they are both battling for a start.

Please post a picture of yourself so we can see if you look as stupid as you are.

Fully stand by my original comment.

Has looked poor in the majority of games this season, countless times I see problems from him in games his positioning is truly awful, he constantly backs away from defenders and never seems to know who to be looking after when the ball comes down his side.

At times he does look decent going forward but I think people just see that he is FORWARD and assume that because hes forward that hes good at it, there's a difference between getting forward and being good at getting forward, Williamson provided more on that left side in the way of crosses on saturday.

Must say, as much as I like Santon his lack of improvement concerns me.

That said, Haidara and Dummett are not, and quite probably never will be, ready to replace him.

:thup: he's stagnated definitely, needs some coaching of a decent standard

Aye. When you look at our backroom staff it's incredible that the board wants us to be a young team. Can't imagine much coaching going on at all tbh.