Davide Santon (now retired)

Guest taps01

The last time Yanga-Mbiwa played at LB he got destroyed by Navas and Dummett had to come in to stop the destruction.

No thanks.

As for Santon, i know he's still young but he's really annoying me every time i defend him he does something insanely stupid. :anguish:

Wouldn't mind Haidara coming in and seeing what he can do.... if he can't hack it against Palace and Stoke he might as well pack his bags.

Mbiwa had a good game there v Arsenal last season. Using 45 minutes in a game we were overran against a player looking to make an impression on his home debut is harsh.

Perhaps i'm overreacting.... i never got to see the Arsenal game as i was at a friends birthday that day so i'll take your word for it.

But in any case i'd rather a natural LB there than Mbiwa, Haidara apart from the Liverpool debacle has performed well IMO and deserves his chance.

It's time Haidara had a run of games.

What's he done to merit getting in ahead of superior players?

:thup: to MYM at LB if he's not starting in the middle.

Always the same.. Haidara has showed promised in his cameos. If Santon is to be dropped, I'd rather see what he can do than play a centre back at full back. We gave Santon the chances when he wasn't the finished product, why not Haidara, or Dummett for that matter?

Think he made a mistake for the goal but also don't think he should take all the blame. No idea why about four of our players were just standing completely offside. Didn't leave him with a whole lot of options and he seemed to panic and just try to chip a ball over the top.

From what I've seen, Haidara is a better defender, which is more important than what our LB offers in an attacking sense.  I'd like to see him get a run of games if we're talking about dropping Santon. We're happy to criticize (rightly, imo) Pardew for playing players out of position so I don't think hoying MYM in there is the best plan.

Anyone who thinks Haidara's a better defender should watch the Liverpool 0-6 game and compare it with what they'd consider to be Santon's worst performance. Night and day.

Now that's not fair.

I watched it once...through me fingers, in the Strawberry corner and have absolutely no intention of ever watching it again.

Agree about Haidara. Would be a bit nervous to put him in from the start in the premier league still. Maybe give him a start in the upcoming FA cup game.

I am quite intrigued to see how we do with a left footed left back again. See if it gives us a better balance? I mean it's been a long time since we had a regular left footed left back with Ryan Taylor playing there post-Enrique and then obviously Santon since.

I think Santon has been solid defensively this season and is now being made the scapegoat for the mistake, understandably. The real problem is that his offensive game has almost regressed and he offers absolutely nothing going forward. He seemed to play better with Jonas and actually looked like a threat back then. Don't know what to do with him, Haidara has looked promising but it's way too early to give up on Santon.

I feel he must have been told not to bomb on so far ever since the Everton game. Think both full backs have been noticeably more solid defensively ever since.

think with debuchy it's more that he's got up to speed with the prem.

The last time Yanga-Mbiwa played at LB he got destroyed by Navas and Dummett had to come in to stop the destruction.

No thanks.

As for Santon, i know he's still young but he's really annoying me every time i defend him he does something insanely stupid. :anguish:

Wouldn't mind Haidara coming in and seeing what he can do.... if he can't hack it against Palace and Stoke he might as well pack his bags.

When was this?

He's talking about the first game of the season against Man City. Quite frankly wasn't true. Mbiwa was fine then Taylor stupidly got sent off and Mapou switched to CB and Dummett came on to play left back.

He isn't perfect but Santon's still our best left back like... :dontknow: Haidara doesn't look quite ready yet at this level, Yanga-M'Biwa has always looked uncomfortable at left back to me, and Dummett isn't as good as any of them at this moment in time IMO. We were spoiled by Enrique's quality, and on the right we're becoming spoiled by Debuchy. Santon's not as good as those two but he isn't a major issue; he'll be at fault for a few goals over the course of the season, but that's always going to be the case with most modern full-backs. He does need to sort his end product out when he gets forward like, that's by far his biggest deficiency, but at the same time his ability to carry the ball and push the opposition back is a decent attacking asset in its own right. He's really not as poor as some people make out.

He isn't perfect but Santon's still our best left back like... :dontknow: Haidara doesn't look quite ready yet at this level, Yanga-M'Biwa has always looked uncomfortable at left back to me, and Dummett isn't as good as any of them at this moment in time IMO. We were spoiled by Enrique's quality, and on the right we're becoming spoiled by Debuchy. Santon's not as good as those two but he isn't a major issue; he'll be at fault for a few goals over the course of the season, but that's always going to be the case with most modern full-backs. He does need to sort his end product out when he gets forward like, that's by far his biggest deficiency, but at the same time his ability to carry the ball and push the opposition back is a decent attacking asset in its own right. He's really not as poor as some people make out.

:thup:

I think Santon is a good full back for his age. His all round footballing game is very neat and tidy, he has all the physical attributes needed too. Of course he has to work on his decison making at both ends of the pitch and in particular his concentration at the back but thats part of his development,  he shouldn't be given up on.

Anyone who thinks Haidara's a better defender should watch the Liverpool 0-6 game and compare it with what they'd consider to be Santon's worst performance. Night and day.

Everyone was shit that day.... should we never play Debuchy and MYM again? that performance was more of a result of poor team display.

Debuchy and MYM have come back and performed now the team is actually performing as a unit, i see no reason why Haidara couldn't do the same.

Besides as i said if the lad can't perform against Stoke and Palace we might as well pack his bags.

I certainly don't think we can come to the conclusion that Haidara's a better defender yet, but one terrible game doesn't mean much either way at this point.  My own view on these two is that Haidara looks promising (does show some very good promise defensively) but is as yet still an unknown quantity overall.  Santon on the other hand has played plenty and IMO he just isn't a good defender, he can still improve since he's only 22, but right now he's weak defensively.