Rate our summer transfer window

High Five o
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

3. A few decent signings made by all accounts. Some dreadful outgoings under dreadful circumstances, and it's a total disgrace that we didn't spend money on a striker. I have hope for a few of the new lads and i think there's every chance we'll have a decent season - might make a fair battle for the Top 8, but i don't think we'll really push on from last season. With the money we have and the time we've had to plan spend it, the squad should be in considerably better shape.

Same score, same reason.

Failure to spend ANY of the £35m and failure to buy a good striker = bad window.

We've acquired a good striker, we just needed another.

Exactly, and the second striker only became our biggest priority after we secured a good fullback as well.

Don't get me wrong, I wanted another striker, but it had to be one whose quality was way above the ones we've got. That always made it harder to achieve, especially under the frugal spending limits we've set ourselves.

Completely disagree with that mind.  The only reason Santon was the biggest priority was that we'd left it until the last few days without a single left back in the entire squad.  Unless you count right-sided utility player Ryan Taylor or youngster coming back from an injury (who's arguably a winger) Shane Ferguson.

A forward besides Ba has been a huge priority for months and months, to suggest that our negligence of the left back position (when we knew for months what would have happened with Enrique) rightfully put the striker search on the back-burner is a crazy piece of logic, I find it incredible that you're actually saying that.

Also what you're saying about Europe is depressing tbh Ian.  Birmingham and Stoke are in the Europa League this season, as a result of the cups.  We'll most likely find ourselves having to play shite teams in the cups and will get knocked out fairly early again as usual, which wouldn't necessarily be the case if we'd make 1 or 2 more additions, and/or indeed kept the likes of Nolan and Barton as members of the squad.  Will be a case of staying in the league and fucking off the cups yet again.  In other words, simply existing.

http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/transfer-news/Newcastle-will-be-stronger-than-last-season-vows-Alan-Pardew-but-refused-badger-Mike-Ashley-further-for-signings-article787077.html

Alan Pardew has moved to calm Newcastle fans ahead of the derby-day trip to Sunderland, insisting his squad will end up better than last season’s.

Amid frustration from supporters that he is still scrambling for ­signings in mid-August, the Toon boss insisted he has “nudged Mike (Ashley, the club's controversial owner) enough,” about it.

Newcastle banked £35million from Andy Carroll’s sale in January, and this summer they have received £3m from West Ham for Kevin Nolan and £5m from Liverpool for Jose Enrique.

“We’re trying to make sure this club is stronger than it was last year,” said Pardew, who is chasing a left-back and a striker.

“As it stands, when we started the season, I’d say we’re not at in position yet. But hopefully we will be.

“I don’t think I need to nudge Mike any more – I’ve nudged him enough.”

I dread to even look at the squad btw. The team actually papers the cracks somewhat, because there's next to nowt behind it.

CB lacks quality, RW, Strikers, LB. In fact LW, GK and CM are the only positions decently covered.

I think we've clearly ended up with a better squad. How much better we'll only know when we've got Ben Arfa and Marveaux fit, because they're the ones who can change the style of our attack.

People seem to be hanging their hats on the second striker signing because it was something that the club was going for and failed to get. Obviously the new regime are unpopular, so inevitably that meant the whole window was going to be declared a failure. But we did sign Ba, we've got Ben Arfa and perhaps Sammy for a secondary striker role so I don't see the need for doom and gloom.

5/10

We are stronger in gk

weaker in defence

slightly better in midfield

weaker in attack

don't know where the he'll the goals are going to come from. Let's pray no more than one of tiote/cabaye or willo/colo/saylor are injured or we are screwed.

Very frustrating because we needed another cb/lb cover, versatile dm And striker.

Think we will sign all three in January. No Idea if they will be any good though.

Guest WashyGeordie

I think we've done better than what i ever could of imagined after the WBA game. Aye we lost Nolan/Barton but we got Cabaye and Marveaux in, aswell as Gosling back from injury and even Abeid.

I think we'll do better than last season, don't think it'll be Europa or anything, but even if it's 8th it's still an improvement on last year.

Even going off the start of the season, it's better than what i expected (mainly getting the result at the SOS) and our squad last year might not of got the result from the Fulham game as we couldn't get the points at home off teams like Blackburn, Fulham etc.

7/10 for me. Obviously disappointed about not bringing in another striker but, happy about Santon signing yesterday and of course, it's not the end of the world.

Failure to spend ANY of the £35m and failure to buy a good striker = bad window.

We've acquired a good striker, we just needed another.

Exactly, and the second striker only became our biggest priority after we secured a good fullback as well.

Don't get me wrong, I wanted another striker, but it had to be one whose quality was way above the ones we've got. That always made it harder to achieve, especially under the frugal spending limits we've set ourselves.

Completely disagree with that mind.  The only reason Santon was the biggest priority was that we'd left it until the last few days without a single left back in the entire squad.  Unless you count right-sided utility player Ryan Taylor or youngster coming back from an injury (who's arguably a winger) Shane Ferguson.

A forward besides Ba has been a huge priority for months and months, to suggest that our negligence of the left back position (when we knew for months what would have happened with Enrique) is a crazy piece of logic, I find it incredible that you're actually saying that.

Also what you're saying about Europe is depressing tbh Ian.  Birmingham and Stoke are in the Europa League this season, as a result of the cups.  We'll most likely find ourselves having to play shite teams in the cups and will get knocked out fairly early again as usual, which wouldn't necessarily be the case if we'd make 1 or 2 more additions, and/or indeed kept the likes of Nolan and Barton as members of the squad.  Will be a case of staying in the league and fucking off the cups yet again.  In other words, simply existing.

Simply existing is the reality for most clubs in the league, it now takes insane investment to compete at the top. I don't think what I said about Europe is depressing, I'm saying we can reach it but just not yet.

You're right that we kind of got ourselves into the situation with the LB position by not sorting out Enrique earlier, but who knows what was going on. I can't really blame the club for trying to sign him if they thought there was a chance he might stay, or maybe no decent bids came in until Liverpool's. However it came about, there was a problem and we addressed it with Santon (hopefully).

If your argument is that Birmingham can win the cup but we can't, I don't agree with that. We were much better than Birmingham last season, if they can win it then so can we. Not sure I'd want to trade it for another relegation, but that's impossible to measure anyway.

I rated it a 1 - The good deals that we did do, Santon, Cabaye and Marveaux, have been negated by the losing 3 of our best players from last season and the failure to improve our strike force. Ba just isn't enough, ffs the guy can't even get in our starting 11 atm. Considering the money that should have been available, nothing other than an abject failure of a transfer window for me. We've at best stood still, fortunately for us, there's a lot of dross in this league this year otherwise a season of struggle would surely be on the cards.

I think we've clearly ended up with a better squad. How much better we'll only know when we've got Ben Arfa and Marveaux fit, because they're the ones who can change the style of our attack.

People seem to be hanging their hats on the second striker signing because it was something that the club was going for and failed to get. Obviously the new regime are unpopular, so inevitably that meant the whole window was going to be declared a failure. But we did sign Ba, we've got Ben Arfa and perhaps Sammy for a secondary striker role so I don't see the need for doom and gloom.

I'd be interested to know how our squad can be considered stronger than the one we had this time last year..?

More lies being fed to us is something to be fucked off about I believe. I'm sick of their fucking lies. The only reason I refuse to not turn up at St James' at the moment is because my love for my club and city far out-weighs the fat cunts in charge. Everything is not fine and dandy, and it wont be until the end of the season when we stay up and POSSIBLY stay up. What the fuck do we have to put up with before everyone finds these despicable human beings guilty of being complete moronic twatlips?

Annoyed we didn't get a better striker in, but overall, 6.5.

How can you rate the transfer window a 6,5 when our squad is arguably weaker than it was a year ago and we have made a huge profit on transfers in that period?

I totally agree, don't understand what some of these people are thinking with any rating above a 3 tbh.

Three CBs isn't enough. Obertan isn't a right winger. LB looks poor after Santon (and I rate Fergie too) and Sammy and Vuckic won't see the light of day upfront, and having Shola and Loven as 3rd/4th is frankly ridiculous with £35m in the bank.

Can anyone be bothered to count how many transfer windows in a row we've gone into desperately needing a striker? Is it just that players in that position don't fall into the category of "cheap gamble, might be worth more next season"?

Pathetic. How many minutes will Ranger and Lovenkrands rack up between them this season, any estimates?

We've been strung along all summer basically.

This summer has proved that in we're going nowhere under this current lot. And I have to say, the signings of Ba, Cabeye and Marveux, while good players, were no more than opportunistic. These twats have no foresight and no ambition.

Never getting myself excited at another deadline day again. Ruined me fucking day. Nee work done and now seething with anger.

Can anyone be bothered to count how many transfer windows in a row we've gone into desperately needing a striker? Is it just that players in that position don't fall into the category of "cheap gamble, might be worth more next season"?

Pathetic. How many minutes will Ranger and Lovenkrands rack up between them this season, any estimates?

Dekka's compadre Bobbyule hath spoken and he sayeth everything's alright. Yowsah!

I dread to think how bad things would actually need to get before the permanent optimist brigade would start getting worried about the way this club is going.

Wish people would actually just make points instead of stereotyping whole groups of posters under one non-existent category.

Carroll

HBA

Jonas Nolan Tiote Barton

Enrique Coloccini Taylor Simpson

Krul

vs

Ba

HBA

Marveaux Cabaye Tiote Jonas

Santon Coloccini Taylor Simpson

Krul

think in a one off match the top team would absolutely batter the below one. over the course of a season i think they'd both finish around the same part of the table. £35m worth of improvement? Absolutely not. A significant improvement? Hell no.

At best a slight improvement or even just standing still. but that's unacceptable considering the funds at our disposal.

At worst, ie Santon not recovering form, being played in the wrong position, Ba and Marveaux injury prone, not a single winger used to playing on the right, HBA still uncertain fitness, lacking leadership on the pitch, less end product etc, we're worse off. hopefully that doesnt happen but there's always a propensity for things to go wrong at NUFC.

Personally i think we could've kept carroll and still done the exact same business this summer. same goes for Barton.

Annoyed we didn't get a better striker in, but overall, 6.5.

How can you rate the transfer window a 6,5 when our squad is arguably weaker than it was a year ago and we have made a huge profit on transfers in that period?

Because I think we've replaced Enrique with quality, replaced Nolan & Barton with quality, signed a striker but could have done with another, and signed people like Obertan to beafen up the numbers. Nowhere near the doom and gloom you'd think people would make out.

Ah honestly fuck this shit. Don't enjoy this forum anymore. Bunch of depressing bastards. Fuck off.

Three CBs isn't enough. Obertan isn't a right winger. LB looks poor after Santon (and I rate Fergie too) and Sammy and Vuckic won't see the light of day upfront, and having Shola and Loven as 3rd/4th is frankly ridiculous with £35m in the bank.

I'm not saying it couldn't be (much) better, but I still think it's decent.

I'm pretty confident in Santon / Ferguson for LB, and Obertan is a RW. I agree we could have done with CB cover and a top quality Striker though.

But at the end of the day, we'll just have to get on with it and hope we address that in January.

You seen him play there? (Genuine question). Looks a different player in behind the forward, he's like a lost child on the wing.

Or in the Summer? Or in the January following? At the end of the day, we should have addressed it in this window. We've had 7 months to plan.