What can this squad achieve?

The Prophet

It's massively dependant on the health and form of Ben Arfa and Colo.

Another bad injury for Ben Arfa could make this a very long, and potentially dangerous, season. He's literally the only creative force we have in the final third, without him in the side we're pretty much destined to just play hoofball as we've nobody who can work the channels and provide a real dribbling threat up front. Cabaye desperately needs someone like that in the side too or we won't see the best of him. It'll be a season full of the performances we've had to this point, only the luck we've had so far won't last forever and we'll end up on the wrong end of plenty of scorelines.

Colo goes down and I fear what could happen to our defense. He's an immense player who makes everyone around him so much better, with him we look organised and calm. Take him out and pain will follow.

On the flip side, if both stay fit I think we can be pretty decent.

So frustrating that this regime just want to get by on the bare minimum, because they do find some very good bargains and the scouts seem to have a good eye for players. Can't rely on just Bosman's and release clauses only though, sometimes you need to show some balls in the marker and they're simply not willing to do that.

Capable of up to 8th if we get lucky and players hit form.

If we get lucky and find ourselves in the top half come January we have a get out of jail free card with the window that could allow us to push on and maybe push for Europe. It would require luck and investment though and the latter is likely to be limited if we overachieve (on the basis we are doing well enough without needing extra players).

Think we will limp through to January, buy a couple of half decent players and manage a finish somewhere from 11th-15th.

Guest Roger Kint

If we are very lucky with injuries we could break through the mediocrity barrier, history tells us we generally arent too lucky so we wont achieve more than 11th-15th place

Guest Roger Kint

So, if things stay the same as they are, we're lucky.

If things change, we're going to be s***.

:lol:

We were a few minutes from 9th last season, can see us being less than that this year. 11th was the absolute top with us being lucky and 15th about what i expect. I dont think the league will be as balanced as last season tbh. Could well be a canny gap to the top 10 in which case we clearly arent in the same place.

So, if things stay the same as they are, we're lucky.

If things change, we're going to be s***.

:lol:

We were a few minutes from 9th last season, can see us being less than that this year. 11th was the absolute top with us being lucky and 15th about what i expect. I dont think the league will be as balanced as last season tbh. Could well be a canny gap to the top 10 in which case we clearly arent in the same place.

Which teams in the group fighting for 7th-15th are clearly better than us?

Think our season are going to focus alot on four players wich are very important in our squad right now both for defence and attacking wich are Colo, Taylor, Cabaye and Tiote. If theese get a good partnership we can achieve alot. If they don't get along playing wise it could spell disaster. But as seen earlier everything seems to just get better and better. We got more pace troughout the squad then last year wich could lead to more goals on counterattack. We now also can play balls down the right flank aswell instead of beeing dependant on jose/gutierrez partnership to get the ball into the box.

Ba hopefully will hit his goalscoring form aswell and I really think Ba+Best could nick us around the same amount atleast as nolan and Carroll did last year. After that I think we are more a threat from direct freekicks, maybe not so much from crosses etc. into the box for obvious reasons but again we now got the speed to get around and get the more dangerous ball in instead of the deep cross.

Guest Roger Kint

They dont have to be better than us to finish above us really. We were the better side against sunderland in both games but ended up worse but thats not the point.

Villa, Bolton, sunderland, Stoke all have great chances of being above us. Theres a top 10 and we will be against the Evertons, Fulhams, QPR's etc after that. Its comes down to scoring goals and we look very short.

Edit: Wolves also have to be up there with us too with their signings looking canny. If that doesnt depress you then enjoy the delusion

They dont have to be better than us to finish above us really. We were the better side against sunderland in both games but ended up worse but thats not the point.

Villa, Bolton, sunderland, Stoke all have great chances of being above us. Theres a top 10 and we will be against the Evertons, Fulhams, QPR's etc after that. Its comes down to scoring goals and we look very short.

Edit: Wolves also have to be up there with us too with their signings looking canny. If that doesnt depress you then enjoy the delusion

You said there'd be a big gap between the top 10 and the rest, but I disagree.

There'll be a big gap between the top 6 and the rest, the spots below that are a lottery.

Villa, Bolton, Sunderland and Stoke are no better than we are - there's no reason that we can't finish above them, just as there's no reason that they can't finish above us.

Guest Roger Kint

You said there'd be a big gap between the top 10 and the rest, but I disagree.

There'll be a big gap between the top 6 and the rest, the spots below that are a lottery.

Villa, Bolton, Sunderland and Stoke are no better than we are - there's no reason that we can't finish above them, just as there's no reason that they can't finish above us.

You are entitled to your opinion. I disagree but doesnt make either right Again you mistake teams being better than us with teams being better at scraping points together, i beleive our lack of goals will make that very hard for us even though we are stronger in other areas.

Guest Rainforest

I didnt see the Sunderland game but on another day Arsenal would have scored several against us, and Fulham - well - Krul didnt just save 1 point there he saved 3, another day would have seen at least 2-3 goals conceded as well. Im grateful the pendulum swung our way in those two games but I just disagree that we looked "solid" in any of them, defensively or otherwise. Worth mentioning that Arsenal - despite being rated as "unbelievably shit" across messageboards - dominated us by a fair margin at St.james as well.

I know everyone's trying to whip up some hysteria about us currently, but we will not be finishing outside the top 10 mate. Below Sunderland, aye righto.

Guest Roger Kint

I know everyone's trying to whip up some hysteria about us currently, but we will not be finishing outside the top 10 mate. Below Sunderland, aye righto.

Well i was putting you about 10th originally, I was going to include you in the first batch but expected someone to complain so went safety first and lumped you with us.

Guest Rainforest

If Coloccini gets injured, I fully expect us to start leaking like a torpedoed hull.  He is the thumping heart of our defense.

The worst thing about the whole transfer window for me is the absolute confirmation, that whilst Mike Ashley is in charge, we will never be able to achieve anything. As soon as we get a good squad Ahley will dismantle it, we will never spend proper money whilst he is here. We already have the basis of a very good squad and it would have cost around £20 million to turn us into a real top side, this was his biggest chance yet to push us forward and if he wasn't willing to do it now, why would he ever do it. The best we can hope is that he is simply cutting costs in order to sell.

Guest Wearside

Even with a very weak squad, Everton will still comfortably finish above both North East clubs and will be no lower than 8th.