Aston Villa v NUFC - Sat 17th September 3PM

wormy

It'll be a really tough match cos i think once Villa settle, they'll have a good year. They've looked good in fits and spurts, and with the potential they've got in N'Zogbia and Agbonlahor (whom i still rate hugely), they'll always create chances. Those two off Bent look a bit scary tbh, cos there's a shitload of goals in that triumvirate.

Them against our tri-force/breeze-block of Taylor, Colo and Krul will be an intriguing encounter.

If the defense is up to it, there's every chance of getting a result. From what i can gather, tonight was the worst performance of the season. However, what's true is that we're cementing this 'absolute-bastards-to-beat' attribute, and whilst Villa have some good players, there's nothing there that leaves me feeling certain that our unbeaten streak will come to an end.

Keep up the defensive rigidity... kick up the arse in training... bit more fluidity from an attacking perspective - and i'm very confident of getting a point at the very least. I'm happy for us to rely on our stalwarts to contain the various threats they have, and actually play our game. They're a good side but definitely beatable. Play for a draw, as we (allegedly) did tonight, they'll have more quality to pick us off, unlike QPR.

-------------------------------- Krul --------------------------------

Simpson --------- Taylor ---------- Coloccini --------- Santon

Obertan -------- Cabaye --------- Tiote --------------- Jonas

------------------------- Ba ---------- Best ------------------------

We can still go 4-4-2... just abandon the Jurassic footballing philosophy. No more hoofball. Defenders on their game, play properly.

What's certain is that this game will give us a better bearing on whether or not we've progressed as a side. Three clean sheets and 8 points from 12 suggest so... the performances, granted, do not.

Think it'll be a score-draw.

the problem with that 442 is we have a lack of movement from the front 2 and neither of the central midfielders are the sort to fill the gap behind our statuesque front 2 which leads to the same problems as last night.

Seems a no brainer to me.

We are overrun in midfield and not creating goal scoring opportunities for whoever we stick up front.

3 in midfield it has to be with the wings occupied by whoever is playing well in training this week. Im not  a Jonas fan anyway, but he looks lost to me at the minute as an attacking force so he would be out.

If we dont start creating pretty quickly then we are just going to compound the pressure on the strikers and the rest of the team.

I would go with...

Krul

Simpson -- Taylor -- Colochini -- Santon

Tiote --- Cabaye

Obertan ------------------------ Marveaux

Gosling

Ba

Krul

Simpson Saylor Colo Santon

Marveaux    Tiote      Jonas 

Cabaye

Ba        Best

It will be a 4-4-2 but Cabaye must push on more, I wonder if him staying deep is unsettling Tiote, taking up some of the space he works in.

Would 100% start Mav ahead of Obertan though.

Seems a no brainer to me.

We are overrun in midfield and not creating goal scoring opportunities for whoever we stick up front.

3 in midfield it has to be with the wings occupied by whoever is playing well in training this week. Im not  a Jonas fan anyway, but he looks lost to me at the minute as an attacking force so he would be out.

If we dont start creating pretty quickly then we are just going to compound the pressure on the strikers and the rest of the team.

I would go with...

Krul

Simpson -- Taylor -- Colochini -- Santon

Tiote --- Cabaye

Obertan ------------------------ Marveaux

Gosling

Ba

Agree with this, if we were to play with an OCM. Jonas is completely clueless. He really has no idea how to distribute the ball when received. Thing is, I don't rate Obertan any higher than Jonas. He does much of the same with the ball in his feet. He has more pace though, and releases the ball more frequently. And based on those reasons he should play in stead. Wont happen though, of course. Pardew seems to be sticking with his chosen players, even when they've played a joke of a game. Jonas is not the biggest problem concerning that matter though, but rather the two massive clowns, that shall remain unnamed, unable to even look like trying to earn they're fucking laughable paycheck. The frustrating bit is I have a feeling, despite these ridiculous performances, he STILL will have them playing come Saturday. And so, I can't sleep at nights.

Had a think and this is what I'd genuinely play:

Krul

Simpson  Colo  Taylor  Santon

Tioté  Cabaye

Sammy      Marveaux  Jonas

Ba

I'd go with this (Best on for Ba if he's looking poor). QPR looked good down our flanks and got some really good crosses over and we should be doing the same. We obviously need much more of an attacking threat and more players who can shoot. The on form Sammy and Marveaux i'm hoping can provide that. Santon looks a real athelete i'm really looking forward to seeing him play he should hopefully take care of whoever attacks down our left and may even push forward to help Jonas.

I thought it was poor judgement by Pardew not to bring on Sammy alot earlier than he did against QPR. The kid is on fire banging in goals and creating havoc for the opposition so play him ffs. Its not as if we have alot (any?) attacking flare at the moment. We need to give the opposition defence more problems that is clear.

In saying all that we are getting results, but we really rode our luck last night at times and there is still alot of room for improvement.

Subs: Harper/Elliott, Raylor,Ferguson Guthrie, Gosling, Obertan, Best

Tough game this one - if we allow chances like last night Bent will bury them, although I watched their last home game against Wolves and they were really poor, looked weak in centre midfield (Petrov and Delph) in particular.

Would take another draw, keep the unbeaten start going, 1-1 I reckon.

Pardew's after match comments (bottom of BBC report) suggests he knows he got it wrong and wants an extra man in midfield, problem is none of Obertan, Marveaux or Jonas (or Cabaye for that matter) are natural at playing "in the hole", so he doesn't seem too keen to do that from the outset. Bit of a dilemma until Ben Arfa is back which might not be too long away. My other worry for this game is that PArdew will see we have Forest on Tuesday and keep Santon back to bed him in in an "easier" game, which would be horrific. Ryan Taylor against Albrighton, N'Zogbia or Agbonlahor is just a disaster waiting to happen.

Pardew's after match comments (bottom of BBC report) suggests he knows he got it wrong and wants an extra man in midfield, problem is none of Obertan, Marveaux or Jonas (or Cabaye for that matter) are natural at playing "in the hole", so he doesn't seem too keen to do that from the outset. Bit of a dilemma until Ben Arfa is back which might not be too long away. My other worry for this game is that PArdew will see we have Forest on Tuesday and keep Santon back to bed him in in an "easier" game, which would be horrific. Ryan Taylor against Albrighton, N'Zogbia or Agbonlahor is just a disaster waiting to happen.

Play Sammy in the Hole then. He's very creative, tricky, on form, good passer and can score goals.

Correct about Santon we need him against Villa we have to restrict their chances. He knows how to play at LB its not as if we are trying him out as a striker/midfielder. Test him out in training against Obertan and play him with Colo and Jonas Tiote and cabaye as much as possible.

krul

simpson  Taylor  colo  Santon

tiote

Marveaux      Cabaye        Jonas

Obertan

Ba or Best

Keep tiote deep in front of defence....and hit them on the break!

Was at game last night and Ryan Taylor was abominable. Need to get santon on the pitch asap!!!

The other two dogs were shola nd simpson, shola just didn't do anything at all to create a bit of danger and simpson looked just bone idle.. Doesn't seem interested or is knackered????

I think five in midfield would be a good idea for Villa. Ba looked good when he came on.

---------krul---------

Simps--tayls---colo---santon

Obertan--9abaye---tiote--jonas

---------------Gosling or Marveuax

-----------Demba---------

I never predict a toon defeat, so I'm going to say 1-0 to us.

I never predict draws either, that just shows lack of belief and vision  O0

Steven Taylor header in the second half, alot of Villa pressure towards the end, but we hold on and grind out another victory.

Class.

-----------------Krul-------------------

Simpson - Colo - Saylor - Santon

----------------Tiote-------------------

---------Cabaye - Marveaux--------

Obertan------------------------Jonas

------------------Ba--------------------

Yes.

This without doubt for me.

Yes.

without a doubt marveaux in central midfield?

Yes.

without a doubt marveaux in central midfield?

Yes. More of a free role of course, and he will be longer up the field.

"We played with two strikers, it's a small pitch and we took a bit of a gamble that we might be able to boss the two centre-backs, but we didn't really.

That extra midfield players that they had allowed them to control the game, I tried to stay with that system, but really it was only my confidence in the back four and the goalkeeper that allowed me to do that.

"I thought our flair players were all a bit off their best and that's always going to have an impact.

""I've no intention of bringing a free agent in. I'll go with the group. I think you have to remember I've got Hatem Ben Arfa training now. His imagination and flair on that pitch would have been a big asset for us - hopefully, fingers crossed, in two weeks' time he'll be on that pitch for us."

Think he'll change to 4-5-1 this weekend after reading that.

We obviously can't allow Villa all the chances on goal we allowed QPR, Bent is a good poacher, and has good supply, we need to push further up, I'd probably go for

-----------------------Krul--------------------------

Simp          Colo            Taylor          Santon

Tiote

Obertan  Cabaye        Marveaux    Guti

Best

Think 4-3-3 sacrifices some width, hopefully a 4-1-4-1 will allow us to protect flanks while still not having the same midfield problems as against QPR, of course at expense of attacking threat, but shola didn't convince, can change it up later, and marveau and cabaye should be pretty good in support of Best who is at least on form.