Aston Villa v NUFC - Sat 17th September 3PM

wormy

Insightful stuff from Brummie. So...anyone wanna buy my ticket? :lol:

*chuckle*

of course, you do realise that now I've said all that, it'll be a 14 goal thriller, don't you?

More than likely! Having withdrawal symptoms of football anyway; this will be my first game of the season so there's no way I'll be giving up my ticket. If it turns out to be a good game it'll be a bonus.

Villa selling off their tickets for this game at 2 for 40 quid. Nice to know they are ripping us off by charging us over twice as much for our tickets again(like they did last year).

We must be crazy to pay it.

The only problem with all the theorycrafting about formations is while I approve of shifting to a 3 man central midfield are we training our players for this football, can they adapt game to game? I am skeptical of Pardew's ability to get players playing exactly to a tactical plan, and players need to know to be making small passing triangles and making themselves available. Worst thing would be is if team panic and start hoofing it up, which is better with 2 forwards up than 1, I wonder if that was the real reasoning behind 2 strikers against QPR, Pardew correctly supposed we'd be overrun in midfield so was just hoping for a lucky goal from a punt upfield.

You haven't missed much.

It has been very austere and functional. Pretty much like at least half the teams in the PL currently. Just uninspirational, and rather shapeless.

How are your bairns coming on? Clark, Bannan & Delfounso, etc......

McLeish has been inexplicably playing Heskey as an attacking midfielder (no, seriously), but he's fortunately injured, which means Bannan will start on Saturday. I think Bannan is going to be a quality player.

Delfouneso is the one I don't think will make it. Gary Gardner is the one I really, really want to see get his break as soon as possible, as he's the best of the lot.

:lol:

I have a bad feeling about this one too. After watching the clueless performance against QPR I'm not being much optimistic here.

My prediction is 1-0 to Aston Villa and a very very boring game and almost no chances. 

I don't dare to predict the full lineup against Villa, but i think Raylor and Ameobi will start if they are fit.

2011-04-10 Aston Villa - Newcastle 1 - 0

2009-05-24 Aston Villa - Newcastle 1 - 0

2008-02-09 Aston Villa - Newcastle 4 - 1

2006-08-27 Aston Villa - Newcastle 2 - 0

2006-02-11 Aston Villa - Newcastle 1 - 2

Good to have a Saturday 3pm kickoff - first of the season!

Think we'll see:

Krul

Simpson - Taylor - Colo - Santon

Obertan - Cabaye - Tiote - Jonas

Marveaux

Best

With Marveaux, Jonas and to a lesser extent Obertan's positions being interchangeable.

1-1 draw. Bent and Best.

You haven't missed much.

It has been very austere and functional. Pretty much like at least half the teams in the PL currently. Just uninspirational, and rather shapeless.

How are your bairns coming on? Clark, Bannan & Delfounso, etc......

McLeish has been inexplicably playing Heskey as an attacking midfielder (no, seriously), but he's fortunately injured, which means Bannan will start on Saturday. I think Bannan is going to be a quality player.

Delfouneso is the one I don't think will make it. Gary Gardner is the one I really, really want to see get his break as soon as possible, as he's the best of the lot.

Literally :spit: at that.

Villa selling off their tickets for this game at 2 for 40 quid. Nice to know they are ripping us off by charging us over twice as much for our tickets again(like they did last year).

We must be crazy to pay it.

They charge away fans the price of the most expensive ticket for home fans, I believe, which is in line with the PL law that you're not allowed to charge more than that.

You're right, though, it is a rip off. It won't make you feel better, but my mate has bought a ticket just along from my ST in the Upper Trinity and it cost him 43 notes, too. What's more, as I stumped out 580 quid for my ST, I'll be taking a long, hard look at the ticket prices this season.

What they've effectively done is conduct a summer transfer and manager acquisition period of such utter, utter fucking ineptitude, that they have effectively driven a big wooden stake through the last remaining vestiges of hope at the club.

Season ticket sales are down 8,000. They have massively, massively underestimated the fans reaction to appointing McLeish, too. An aura of doom hangs around the whole place.

This is the sort of ineptitude we're dealing with. After appointing AM, they realised how much they'd annoyed people, and wrote to previous ST holders to try and gee them up.

Here's the text. Spot the glaring ommission. Well, actually, I'll point it out. Not a single mention of on-field aims, of football intentions, of trying to compete. Not one. It reads like a letter to shareholders. I know a few people who were wavering on renewing, got this badly thought out nonsense, and knocked the idea right on the head as a result.

The letter makes it sound like we're meant to cheer being one of the top 20 money raking clubs in Europe.

As we approach the 2011-12 season, we wanted to express our thanks for your support. The last year was fraught with the unexpected, and was certainly frustrating and at times even disappointing. Throughout this past year, however, and now looking forward to the new season, you have continued your support and commitment to the club, and for that we are very appreciative.

The managerial changes that commenced last August, still less than a year ago, were unexpected, unsettling and certainly took their toll. Despite this, the team came through, finishing with good wins against Arsenal and Liverpool to secure a 9th place finish as we headed into the short summer break.

Looking ahead to this season, we feel that in Alex McLeish we have found a very special football man to manage Villa. Being deeply conscious of the controversy that would at first come along with selecting him as manager, we still felt that his broader and career-long reputation for hard work, leadership and professional enthusiasm, together with his willingness to work with the club, made him a worthy and in fact uniquely god fit for our club. To this end, we wish him every success in his new role and hope others do the same as there is no doubt that the great support of our fans will make a massive difference to the team, whether at Villa Park or away.

As regards our personal ambitions for the Club they remain as they've been from the beginning: to manage the club for growth. More precisely, our focus is to manage the investments we've made at Villa Park to promote strong financial performance in terms of our commercial activities in order that the Clubs revenue can grow and contribute accordingly to player, manager and other football related wages and costs.

This approach is at the core of our broader strategy yo create an enduring business model that is stable and yet has the potential to grow, as we feel that the club revenue and player wages are the key to consistent competitiveness. In connection with this strategy, we have targeted being at or within range of a top 20 ranking among clubs in Europe by revenue, which was achieved in the last Deloitte Football report

So again, let us express our appreciation for your support as we look forward with hope and pride to the upcoming season

Yours sincerely

Randy Lerner... Paul Faulkner

Sounds like a fan-base ready and willing to get on the team's back, keep it tight early doors and they might start to get twitchy - actually starting to feel a bit more optimistic about maybe sneaking a win here....