Aston Villa 1 - 1 Newcastle United - 17/09/11 - post-match reaction from page 42

Rich

We were up against a midfield of Bannan - Petrov - Delph - N'Zogbia who looked reasonably good in possession, but who didn't close us down at all. There was little pressure on the ball so a major weakness in our passing game - exposed against QPR - wasn't so significant. It's still there though.

We were up against a midfield of Bannan - Petrov - Delph - N'Zogbia who looked reasonably good in possession, but who didn't close us down at all. There was little pressure on the ball so a major weakness in our passing game - exposed against QPR - wasn't so significant. It's still there though.

I thought Bannan was quite impressive in the first half.

They looked far better when Ireland came on in midfield.

Coincidentally it was also when Shola was sent on. Eventually, we have to stop sending him on because he offers nothing up front. I'd rather have sent Marveaux on for Ba and Sammy on Best, and play 4-6-0 Barca-style rather than playing 4-5-1 but the 1 being a useless fuckwit like Shola. At least Sammy and Marveaux weren't giving away the ball time and time again.

They looked far better when Ireland came on in midfield.

Coincidentally it was also when Shola was sent on. Eventually, we have to stop sending him on because he offers nothing up front. I'd rather have sent Marveaux on for Ba and Sammy on Best, and play 4-6-0 Barca-style rather than playing 4-5-1 but the 1 being a useless fuckwit like Shola. At least Sammy and Marveaux weren't giving away the ball time and time again.

To be fair to Shola apart from a few bad touches when he first came on he didn't do too bad. He created a good chance for himself with a decent strike, but i agree i wouldnt have put him on unless Best was injured, even then i would have put on Sammy first or Lovenkrands.

Another thing i noticed yesterday was that since Ba and Best could actually keep hold of the ball between each other, this allowed runners from midfield to get at the full backs. Obertan made some good runs just shame he cant cross and Cabaye got forward alot more as we saw with his shooting. I'd love to see Marveaux start next game but i think he will stick with the same team against Blackburn.

http://www.skysports.com/football/match_report/0,,11065_3407529,00.html

Fucking IDIOTS:

On-loan Manchester United winger Obertan was causing all kinds of problems for the Villa defence and picked out Demba Ba with a great delivery only for his shot to get deflected.

Another one here

Sylvain Marveaux could have then nicked the maximum points for the visitors but the Frenchman saw his volley travel over Given's bar.

A special mention for the away support, at one point I think they were singing Toon Toon for about 10 minutes without stopping and the players responded to it.

:lol: That was class. Pretty much lost my voice after that.

same, me hands were stinging by the time we stopped.  Definitely got a rise out of the team as well

Was at the game yesterday and I have to say that's the best I've seen us play away from home for years. Tiote and Cabaye ran the game. Villa were there for the taking and had Best stayed on I think we would have won it. Special mention to our fans! Non stop support, I was in the villa end and numerous people around me mentioned how loud they were. Pure class

I was very happy about the match. We played well ,and could have won!

Best match of the season tbh, and i was negative about the 442, but everything went better than expected!

Until Ameobi came on, waste!

Cabaye is something special right, what a man!

And our man of the match, our away support! fkn hell, it make me proud.

Watched it together with some friends (manu,liverpool supporters) at one point they asked if it was at St james` park :lol:

Pleased with a point away from home but even more pleased with the performance and the way we played.  The difference between yesterday and the QPR game was amazing. 

After QPR I felt a bit deflated, we'd got away with a lucky point from a terrible, disjointed hoofball performance.  Yesterday we looked like a football team and played some lovely stuff on the deck. 

We looked creative, full of energy and pace and were unlucky not to get all 3 points.  If we can keep playing like that and resist the temptation to bypass the midfield with long balls and let Shola do anything other than keep the bench warm I think we'll do alright this season.

Great day out, really can't beat an away trip on a Saturday. One of the highlights was finding a bar that served Blue Moon on draft.

The only downside was £43 for a ticket, there's simply no justification for tickets being that pricey. Shitty home support mind.

Trevor Francis was one of the comentators over here in Oz on fox sports, it probably would have been the same feed for your football first highlights.

There was plenty of Villa dominated, let Newcastle back in the games, Villa should have won etc etc, then the stats came up. Complete opposite.

Wankers.

It was hilarious. Villa would try an audacious shot and it'd fly wide and would be "ooo that was close from Bannan. Good effort" and then we'd go up the pitch and do exactly the same "Wasteful from Newcastle. They really should have done better in that position" :lol:

Pleased with a point away from home but even more pleased with the performance and the way we played.  The difference between yesterday and the QPR game was amazing. 

After QPR I felt a bit deflated, we'd got away with a lucky point from a terrible, disjointed hoofball performance.  Yesterday we looked like a football team and played some lovely stuff on the deck. 

We looked creative, full of energy and pace and were unlucky not to get all 3 points.  If we can keep playing like that and resist the temptation to bypass the midfield with long balls and let Shola do anything other than keep the bench warm I think we'll do alright this season.

Was thinking yesterday, we can actually feel a little aggrieved points-wise because though we deserved zero from Monday, we probably deserved three yesterday - so we're a point down :angry:

Good for momentum/having the unbeaten start though, I suppose. :)

Great day out, really can't beat an away trip on a Saturday. One of the highlights was finding a bar that served Blue Moon on draft.

The only downside was £43 for a ticket, there's simply no justification for tickets being that pricey. Shitty home support mind.

I don't think I've ever felt as drained as I did on the coach on the way back. Had a cracking day, but was wiped!