Mike Ashley

Christmas Tree

It was only 5 weeks ago people were sticking up for this prick on here. That's ultimately the reason we're in the s***. People forgive and forget and shift the blame to easier targets.

agree 100 %. but must admit it took until last summer before I really turned at this guy. Will never give a penny to the club as long as his here.

It was only 5 weeks ago people were sticking up for this prick on here. That's ultimately the reason we're in the shit. People forgive and forget and shift the blame to easier targets.

:thup:

It was only 5 weeks ago people were sticking up for this prick on here. That's ultimately the reason we're in the s***. People forgive and forget and shift the blame to easier targets.

agree 100 %. but must admit it took until last summer before I really turned at this guy. Will never give a penny to the club as long as his here.

Must have been a tough decision to give up your season ticket. Fair play for sticking to your principles.

Must have been a tough decision to give up your season ticket. Fair play for sticking to your principles.

:lol:

There's absolutely no story there. In retail, on the shop floor, the majority of staff will be on zero hour contracts. As for those on disciplinary not getting a bonus then that is also a common occurrence - things like bad sickness always go against staff. 

There's absolutely no story there. In retail, on the shop floor, the majority of staff will be on zero hour contracts. As for those on disciplinary not getting a bonus then that is also a common occurrence - things like bad sickness always go against staff. 

"The four biggest supermarkets in Britain, Tesco, Asda, Sainsbury's and Morrisons, said they do not use zero-hour contracts. Other retailers to confirm that they do not employ staff on these terms include Argos, B&Q, Homebase, John Lewis and Marks & Spencer."

"The four biggest supermarkets in Britain, Tesco, Asda, Sainsbury's and Morrisons, said they do not use zero-hour contracts. Other retailers to confirm that they do not employ staff on these terms include Argos, B&Q, Homebase, John Lewis and Marks & Spencer."

So how many companies does that leave who do have zero hour contracts? They are ridiculously common, I can't believe the Guardian is printing this stuff.

So how many companies does that leave who do have zero hour contracts? They are ridiculously common, I can't believe the Guardian is printing this stuff.

I don't think they surveyed every company in the country and they were the only ones who didn't do them. :lol:

Got any photos to back that up?

:troll:

Quick wikipedia search on zero hour contracts has this line : " In 2011, such contracts were prevalent in many parts of the UK economy:"

Quick wikipedia search on zero hour contracts has this line : " In 2011, such contracts were prevalent in many parts of the UK economy:"

Reckon there are many employers of 20k+ where 90 per cent of workers are on them?

I don't know either way, I'd be surprised though.

Reckon there are many employers of 20k+ where 90 per cent of workers are on them?

I don't know either way, I'd be surprised though.

It does seem high but I was just looking at some stuff on the internet there and there was a BBC article saying 300,000 care workers in the UK are on those contracts  :kasper:

It's a cheap shit shop though which is why it's hardly surprising.

Sports Direct: Billionaire owner Mike Ashley faces anger as 20,000 staff on zero-hours contracts

29 Jul 2013 19:25

The contracts leave them with no idea how many hours they will work or how much they will earn from one week to the next

Sports Direct’s billionaire owner Mike Ashley faced anger today after putting 20,000 of his staff on zero-hours contracts.

All part-time employees at Mr Ashley’s high-street chain are on the contracts, which leave them with no idea how many hours they will work or how much they will earn from one week to the next.

The revelations comes as full-time staff at the sportswear firm prepare to cash in on bonuses of up to £100,000.

The part-time workforce at Sports Direct accounts for 90% of its 23,000 employees.

Labour MPs who have campaigned against zero-hours contracts called on Mr Ashley, the Newcastle United FC owner, to guarantee workers a minimum number of hours.

The company posted profits of more than £200million in the last year.

Shadow Business Secretary Chuka Ummuna today hit out at the “rampant use and abuse of zero-hours contracts”.

He said their growth was “unjust and needs to be clamped down on”.

Mr Ummuna said: “We are currently looking at ways to clamp down on the misuse of zero hours contracts, which is increasing, in Labour’s policy review.”

Ian Murray, Labour’s Shadow Minister for Employment Relations, added: “We need to ensure that ordinary working people are not paying the price of this Government’s economic failure.

“The use of zero hours contracts has increased markedly in recent years and there are serious questions to be answered as to why this is the case.

“Zero hours contracts are being abused and used to undermine employment rules.

“It’s critical the Government looks at this properly and doesn’t simply pay lip service to this serious issue in the labour market.”

Most of Britain’s other top shops - including Tesco, Asda, Sainsbury’s, Morrisons, and Marks & Spencer - do not use zero-hours contracts.

According to data from the Office for National Statistics, the number of workers in jobs without any guarantee of regular hours or pay nearly doubled during last year to reach 200,000.

Best boss in the land innit

Zero Hour Contratcs, so how does that work, they just ring you up and say they need you for 2 hours here and there ??

Yeah. You can't take another part time job as you have to be their bitch. Also means you can go weeks without a shift (and being paid).

Zero Hour Contratcs, so how does that work, they just ring you up and say they need you for 2 hours here and there ??

Aye pretty much.  The student union bar I worked in at Staffs Uni dished out a load of zero hour contracts from March-ish onwards so they always had cover for those wanting time off for revision/projects/placements etc.  First come, first serve basis as well, which sucks.

I've been on a 4 hour contract but it was very rare that's all i got, so not really too dissimilar, however its another kick in the teeth for PT workers, i thought legally the lowest was 4.